The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What's the expectations in Greenock for the coming season? Didn't watch any Championship football last season (cheers Yogi). 

Pushing for play offs? Must be about 7 or 8 teams with those aspirations.

Having just missed out last season, and with the bulk of the same team signed up again for like the first time in what feels like decades, yes, hopes will be that we will at least be pushing for the playoffs and hopefully go one better.

All the usual cliches though - tight league, competitive, fine margins, etc.

Grimshaw likely to be the biggest loss to the team and never going to replace with the same calibre.

A few astute signings though, something Imrie has a great hit rate of getting, and confidence will be high.

Edited by Jamie_M

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

On paper, should be a good signing for Falkirk unfortunately. Just as likely he will follow in the 'illustrious' footateps of McGuffie and Nesbitt and suffer the same fate thoug

Don't forget Gary Oliver on that list of superstars. His four good games a season are legendary wherever he goes.

12 minutes ago, Cappiecat1.2 said:

Don't forget Gary Oliver on that list of superstars. His four good games a season are legendary wherever he goes.

I was thinking specifically in terms of sand dancers with limited end product rather than whatever Gary Oliver is supposed to be.

16 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What's the expectations in Greenock for the coming season? Didn't watch any Championship football last season (cheers Yogi). 

Pushing for play offs? Must be about 7 or 8 teams with those aspirations.

The competition certainly looks like it could be cutthroat, although some teams may well fall away. For example, nobody would have said 12 months ago that Arbroath would have had to battle to survive to the last day of the season with largely the same team. There'll probably be a couple of surprise dung outfits - any two of Ayr, Inverness and Partick would do just nicely. 

I wasn't as critical of Calvin Miller's signing or his early performances as the weirdo cult for McGrattan, but the same token I didn't really see any of the outstanding performance claims made in the run-in (although I wasn't at the Dundee game). A completely replaceable player and given we've already kept quite a lot already, I'm happier to try our luck on the market instead.   

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

New 3rd kit.

I think it's a belter - a slight nod to the tangerine effort from the late 70s and pinstripes from the era of the late Allan McGraw.

Reminds me of this

137206772_877233393045062_91385343052497

On 15/06/2023 at 16:14, Jamie_M said:

Having just missed out last season, and with the bulk of the same team signed up again for like the first time in what feels like decades, yes, hopes will be that we will at least be pushing for the playoffs and hopefully go one better.

All the usual cliches though - tight league, competitive, fine margins, etc.

Grimshaw likely to be the biggest loss to the team and never going to replace with the same calibre.

A few astute signings though, something Imrie has a great hit rate of getting, and confidence will be high.

Can see you bunch of cloggers making a right mess of the DAB  'promotion push'.

All the best.

Thank you.

On 17/06/2023 at 19:33, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Can see you bunch of cloggers making a right mess of the DAB  'promotion push'.

All the best.

Thank you.

Think that's the nicest thing you've ever said. I'm moved.

4 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Was impressed with Imrie, think you'll make top four.

Thank you.

I echo this sentiment. 

A steely resolve frustrating ‘the big teams’ by winning tight games. 

Thank you. 

Ryan Mullen reportedly on the way, assume that will be as first choice goalkeeper with another teenager found to be cover. At Clyde last season and just turned 22, didn't get the sort of rave reviews Schwake did before joining us but still well thought of and one of the few players Clyde fans actually wanted to keep. I'm happier having someone with the potential to improve who might have a higher ceiling than a known bang average quantity like Sneddon.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ryan Mullen reportedly on the way, assume that will be as first choice goalkeeper with another teenager found to be cover. At Clyde last season and just turned 22, didn't get the sort of rave reviews Schwake did before joining us but still well thought of and one of the few players Clyde fans actually wanted to keep. I'm happier having someone with the potential to improve who might have a higher ceiling than a known bang average quantity like Sneddon.

I'm thinking the opposite,  he'll be our number 2 and we bring in someone more experienced as number 1.

Mullen has 14 career starts, would be a big gamble to bring him in as a number 1 to play week in week out in the Championship. 

I'd be amazed and disappointed if we don't bring someone more experienced,/ established in.

10 minutes ago, madton said:

I'm thinking the opposite,  he'll be our number 2 and we bring in someone more experienced as number 1.

Mullen has 14 career starts, would be a big gamble to bring him in as a number 1 to play week in week out in the Championship. 

I'd be amazed and disappointed if we don't bring someone more experienced,/ established in.

Didn't schwake only have about 38 or something in the SPFL (with Edinburgh in League 2)?

It would have been fairly safe to call him a huge gamble when he signed, but turned out to be - mostly - fine.

11 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Didn't schwake only have about 38 or something in the SPFL (with Edinburgh in League 2)?

It would have been fairly safe to call him a huge gamble when he signed, but turned out to be - mostly - fine.

Agreed on this although last season we were on a shoestring budget, and looking to merely stay in the league.

This coming season we have more budget about us and, although not confirmed as yet, will be looking for playoffs minimum.

I would be expecting us to have a more experienced keeper, I'd hope so anyway.

14 minutes ago, MORleyTON said:

Agreed on this although last season we were on a shoestring budget, and looking to merely stay in the league.

This coming season we have more budget about us and, although not confirmed as yet, will be looking for playoffs minimum.

I would be expecting us to have a more experienced keeper, I'd hope so anyway.

Morton had a good season last year, but that's some shout surely.  I wouldn't even say that about Ayr and we will probably have more of a budget.  Reckon this could be an even tighter league than last year, 2 promoted teams better than what has went down, Arbroath probably be stronger, Raith improving etc.

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Morton had a good season last year, but that's some shout surely.  I wouldn't even say that about Ayr and we will probably have more of a budget.  Reckon this could be an even tighter league than last year, 2 promoted teams better than what has went down, Arbroath probably be stronger, Raith improving etc.

Compared to where we were pre-season last year, where we were looking down the back of sofas for spare change, we'll definitely have a bigger budget to work with thanks to the Dalrada sponsorship which didn't come into play until November last year I think.

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

Compared to where we were pre-season last year, where we were looking down the back of sofas for spare change, we'll definitely have a bigger budget to work with thanks to the Dalrada sponsorship which didn't come into play until November last year I think.

Absolutely, in a much better place and a more settled squad.  Just don't think Mortons target will be minimum playoffs.  Does Imrie get sacked if you miss out again by a bawhair?