The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

15 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I get the feeling he is already off somewhere, would not be surprised to see him rock up at Dunfermline or Falkirk.

Aye? I would be very surprised if we are not in for him, he would suit us well I think but if the teams you mentioned are possibly in for him then we can file that enquiry directly in the bin. 

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

He'd get my best wishes if he was making the step up that we know he's capable of, but giving a snotty interview to the Telegraph about how much Morton means to him before jumping ship to Ayr United at the first opportunity leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Doesn't make any of that untrue though does it?

He WAS unhappy at ICT. He WAS grateful for the move to Morton. He has been really happy at the club rekindling his love of football. He does love working under Dougie

No matter what though, this is a significant point of change.

That team is being broken up, it will be a different Morton next season so he'll be adapting to a new team next season whether he stays or goes.

There's only 4 managers in the entire SPFL who have been in situ longer than Dougie so the odds on Dougie seeing out whatever next contract Oakley would sign get shorter by the day.

So the choice of different at Morton or different elsewhere for significantly more money is a very real one, regardless of how happy he has been for the last 18 months.

A really nice kit which is just let down by that outline around the badge, but doesn't stop it being lovely overall. I'd be getting that anyway but my name being on it somewhere is another reason to.

2 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

Aye? I would be very surprised if we are not in for him, he would suit us well I think but if the teams you mentioned are possibly in for him then we can file that enquiry directly in the bin. 

I'm hoping Airdrie sign him, mainly so he doesn't score a dozen goals against us next season. He's our kryptonite.

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Lol IMG_6974.thumb.jpeg.9b0ee6993932ed2d99ae0e89dc44de1e.jpeg

Where is that from?  Could well be you've offered him say 500 a week and we've offered 800 for example.  Think our top earner has been around the 800/900 mark in previous seasons.  Our wage budget this year will rise significantly from last year as we effectively ran a full season without hospitality and now have triple capacity for this coming season and will be quite popular.

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Where is that from?  Could well be you've offered him say 500 a week and we've offered 800 for example.  Think our top earner has been around the 800/900 mark in previous seasons.  Our wage budget this year will rise significantly from last year as we effectively ran a full season without hospitality and now have triple capacity for this coming season and will be quite popular.

Record. We offered an improved deal and Oakley’s would’ve been the best of the bunch, be nearer £750/£800 for us.

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Record. We offered an improved deal and Oakley’s would’ve been the best of the bunch, be nearer £750/£800 for us.

I would be astonished if he's on more than £1300 with us, but if that is who Brown wants and has asked the board to push the boat out then you never know.  If it is the case then I don't see us getting Dowds as well, so maybe could be a shout for you lot.  I believe the Imrie retweet last night was in frustration with the Morton chairman who said this years budget was the best in 10 years.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

I would be astonished if he's on more than £1300 with us, but if that is who Brown wants and has asked the board to push the boat out then you never know.  If it is the case then I don't see us getting Dowds as well, so maybe could be a shout for you lot.  I believe the Imrie retweet last night was in frustration with the Morton chairman who said this years budget was the best in 10 years.

This year’s budget is the best in years according to Scott Burns, it’s just everyone else has put theirs up too!

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

10 years is a stretch - Duffy might have had a bigger one and McKinnon - but definitely said to be increased on recent years. Not hard when we have the lowest in the division and budget for 8th every year.

Oakley probably asked to match the £2k McGinty gets.

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

This year’s budget is the best in years according to Scott Burns, it’s just everyone else has put theirs up too!

Yeah that is true.  In terms of players leaving, it can take just 1 to create that domino effect.  Crawford in talks with Thistle, Muirhead signed with Livi.  Oakley see's the contract offer and others leaving then a club come in and he's then thinking how many more are going to leave and it becomes a different squad around him and a rebuild job which at this point in his career he just doesn't fancy.

Just now, Jamie_M said:

10 years is a stretch - Duffy might have had a bigger one and McKinnon - but definitely said to be increased on recent years. Not hard when we have the lowest in the division and budget for 8th every year.

Oakley probably asked to match the £2k McGinty gets.

:lol: right who's your dealer, that stuff sounds minted.

If you'll indulge a bit of premature knickerwetting...

We're going to have the lowest budget in the league next season, apart from possibly Airdrie and Hamilton if they come up, and we need to replace our 3 best players, maybe 4 if Strapp also goes. Dougies managed it before, but how many times can we keep going to the well under these circumstances? Grim state of affairs.

13 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

:lol: right who's your dealer, that stuff sounds minted.

Is he the last of the lot that got the Hopkin contracts... 

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

If you'll indulge a bit of premature knickerwetting...

We're going to have the lowest budget in the league next season, apart from possibly Airdrie and Hamilton if they come up, and we need to replace our 3 best players, maybe 4 if Strapp also goes. Dougies managed it before, but how many times can we keep going to the well under these circumstances? Grim state of affairs.

Hamilton were definitely paying more already this season as well.

Eventually a small budget is going to catch up with you when you either lose a manager who consistently overachieves with it or that manager gets summer recruitment wrong, and with the extent of the rebuild needed this has the potential to go that way if whatever cast offs and gambles we pick up this summer are more like Steven Boyd and Ally Roy than Oakley, Crawford, Baird and Gillespie.

f**k all the club can do about it though if we're putting increased offers on the table and other clubs are coming in with well over £1K a week. I'll start panicking when our recruitment gets underway if we sign Ali Crawford and other utter shite, when we're still in May I'm not going to worry much. We always knew these three and Strapp leaving was a distinct possibility and that most clubs could blow us out the water if the want to, nothing that's happening is a surprise.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Is he the last of the lot that got the Hopkin contracts... 

Yeah he has had 1 new contract since those dark days.  He is still under contract for another season, but it's quite clear Brown doesn't want him, he'll be away in the summer.  The best thing Hopkin done was bring in Timmins.  Very popular and our keepers went to shit when he went to Carlisle earlier in the season, but has now returned.

5 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Yeah he has had 1 new contract since those dark days.  He is still under contract for another season, but it's quite clear Brown doesn't want him, he'll be away in the summer.  The best thing Hopkin done was bring in Timmins.  Very popular and our keepers went to shit when he went to Carlisle earlier in the season, but has now returned.

It was well documented that McGinty got a massive contract from Hopkin and when he signed his new deal there was nothing to suggest he took a 50% pay cut or anything like that.

Just keep Timmins away from the scouting. He was a.bit of a joke figure at Morton.

Where does this leave our much heralded 3 year plan? It's actually starting to look slightly ambitious now with what we are left with. Looking for miracles from Dougie if he wants to hang around with two hands tied behind his back.