The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Not sure if he’s got anything else already lined up but Paul Hanlon screams of a Dougie type central defender signing after Ambrose and broadfoot.

Posted (edited)

Muirhead then? What's he like? Martindale said a week ago that we had three pre-contracts tied up. One was announced as Liam Sole, I'd imagine Muirhead is another one of them

Edited by ATLIS

51 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Muirhead then? What's he like? Martindale said a week ago that we had three pre-contracts tied up. One was announced as Liam Sole, I'd imagine Muirhead is another one of them

Splits our support very often.

Personally I'd be delighted to see him stay. Over 20 goals and assists this season. Plays primarily on the right wing in a front 3 and has also played centrally but isnt great at holding the ball up. When on form hes a great player to have in the team however he his body language can be/look off at times and he doesn't respond well to criticism from the supporters. He let the team down on Friday night with his petulance and was rightly called out by Dougie. 

If he can replicate his form from the last 2 seasons he'll be a good addition for anyone in the league.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Splits our support very often.

Personally I'd be delighted to see him stay. Over 20 goals and assists this season. Plays primarily on the right wing in a front 3 and has also played centrally but isnt great at holding the ball up. When on form hes a great player to have in the team however he his body language can be/look off at times and he doesn't respond well to criticism from the supporters. He let the team down on Friday night with his petulance and was rightly called out by Dougie. 

If he can replicate his form from the last 2 seasons he'll be a good addition for anyone in the league.

Nouble got booed off the park by home fans this season. Can see it going tits up if he doesn't hit the ground running :D That mentality doesn't usually get you far with Martindale although there seems to be a bit of Lyndon Dykes in his playstyle that Martindale can see I'm sure.

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Nouble got booed off the park by home fans this season. Can see it going tits up if he doesn't hit the ground running :D That mentality doesn't usually get you far with Martindale although there seems to be a bit of Lyndon Dykes in his playstyle that Martindale can see I'm sure.

Is nouble still with you guys?

How's Jamie Brandon been? Would like to see him back at Cappielow.

Probably the best scorer of great goals in my 30 years supporting Morton. Given how tight this division is always is, he’s always great for creating a bit of magic out of nowhere to win a game. 

downside to him is that he can go missing and his lack of mobility makes him look lazier than he actually is.

its going to take a big summer to replace his goals, assists and ability to turn a game on it’s head from nowhere for us.

im happy for him that he’s managed to make a bit of an upwards move and get more money after us as for the first season or two he looked destined to plummet down the leagues.

15 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I’ve been one of Muirhead’s defenders, purely based on his goals and assists record. Fair warning to you though, Lyndon Dykes he ain’t. His technique can be excellent when crossing and shooting, but his lack of physicality and bravery for someone of his size and stature is noticeable. Quite the opposite of Dykes.  

5 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Is nouble still with you guys?

How's Jamie Brandon been? Would like to see him back at Cappielow.

He's away at the end of the season, although he only got his first league goal this past weekend. For the best he's away as this season he's been horrendous. 

Brandon has been decent for us this season, his main success has come at CM actually of late. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

I’ve been one of Muirhead’s defenders, purely based on his goals and assists record. Fair warning to you though, Lyndon Dykes he ain’t. His technique can be excellent when crossing and shooting, but his lack of physicality and bravery for someone of his size and stature is noticeable. Quite the opposite of Dykes.  

You'd think with his size he could put himself about a bit :D Didn't have that one down for him.

The biggest issue with Muirhead is that the team has to adapt to him, rather than him adapting to a team. Contrary to what's been said above, he's only effective off the left-hand side (and has mostly played there), although you could see him in a 4-4-1-1... but again, you'd be setting up that way to accommodate him.

The reasons for that are pretty clear: he has no pace and can't compete for the long ball in the air... He's the definition of a luxury player. Imrie's managed to get something out of him, but there's no denying that runs contrary to his general career trajectory.  

I'd be happy to see him at Cappielow next season if there's genuine competition for his spot in the first team... but not if he's going to play every week regardless, because, for all his contributions when things are going well, you might as well be a man down when they're not. 

51 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The reasons for that are pretty clear: he has no pace and can't compete for the long ball in the air... He's the definition of a luxury player. Imrie's managed to get something out of him, but there's no denying that runs contrary to his general career trajectory.  

I'd be happy to see him at Cappielow next season if there's genuine competition for his spot in the first team... but not if he's going to play every week regardless, because, for all his contributions when things are going well, you might as well be a man down when they're not. 

If we're removing players on that basis then we should be showing the door to literally every other wide player at the club before questioning Muirhead's position. Because the others haven't contributed enough at any point of the campaign, either in an attacking or defensive sense. 

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

If we're removing players on that basis then we should be showing the door to literally every other wide player at the club before questioning Muirhead's position. Because the others haven't contributed enough at any point of the campaign, either in an attacking or defensive sense. 

Agreed, as it happens.

Wouldn't keep Garrity, would release Bearne.

With Quitongo, though, the reasons you doubt him are completely different from the reasons in play with Muirhead, i.e. the cost-benefit analysis is completely different

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Probably the best scorer of great goals in my 30 years supporting Morton. Given how tight this division is always is, he’s always great for creating a bit of magic out of nowhere to win a game. 

downside to him is that he can go missing and his lack of mobility makes him look lazier than he actually is.

its going to take a big summer to replace his goals, assists and ability to turn a game on it’s head from nowhere for us.

im happy for him that he’s managed to make a bit of an upwards move and get more money after us as for the first season or two he looked destined to plummet down the leagues.

Is he definitely off?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Agreed, as it happens.

With Quitongo, though, the reasons you doubt him are completely different from the reasons in play with Muirhead, i.e. the cost-benefit analysis is completely different

They're really not. While injuries have impacted that, you wouldn't get a better case of us playing like we had a man down than Quitongo's risible display in the first Dundee United game at Cappielow, where he was lucky to get the 55 minutes he lasted. 

He made the difference in getting us over the line at Arbroath but like the rest the fundamental numbers were not good enough and the impact unconvincing to say the least. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

They're really not. While injuries have impacted that, you wouldn't get a better case of us playing like we had a man down than Quitongo's risible display in the first Dundee United game at Cappielow, where he was lucky to get the 55 minutes he lasted. 

He made the difference in getting us over the line at Arbroath but like the rest the fundamental numbers were not good enough and the impact unconvincing to say the least. 

Of course they are. And you've actually stated why that is the case.

No I haven't, because Quitongo's actual performances have been just as anonymous as any other player off-form. And just as regular at 'contributing' those when available to play. 

12 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Agreed, as it happens.

Bearne is already signed up for next season.

12 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I'd say that's harsh on Garrity. He's not going to be the best winger at the club but he's averaged a goal or assist every 120 minutes since coming back from Annan in January, which is the best at the club in that time.

Don't see any harm in giving him another season to try prove himself as a starting 11 Championship level player whilst knowing he's going to be effective off the bench if not, especially when it's looking likely that he and Bearne will be the only forward options to remain from this season. Doesn't change the fact we need a proven replacement for Muirhead however.

Aye I'd give Garrity a deal too. Think he has done well enough and would be a decent squad option. However  he's 22 in July, not a kid anymore so he may want to move on and play every week.

I  can see us coming to a mutual agreement to allow Bearne to go back down the road. He can't be happy with the limited game time he's getting so wouldn't be surprised if he moves on.