The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

8 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

Aye? I would be very surprised if we are not in for him, he would suit us well I think but if the teams you mentioned are possibly in for him then we can file that enquiry directly in the bin. 

I’m fairly certain we’re only signing Oakley because we can’t pay Dowds what he wants to stay. It’s unlikely we’ve pursued Oakley over him given how much Brown rated him. 

For that reason alone I’d say he’s away to someone like Raith or down South. 

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

None of that is true, but thanks for playing.

Christ they’ve even rolled out the virginton tribute for this one.

4 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

There's a big caveat on that, though. Imrie brought the best out of him at Morton, and there's no guarantee that Ayr won't get the less convincing version of Oakley that ICT let go.

Agreed. Whoever signs him might just end up with a depressed, dejected, non-performing ICT-level carthorse who suddenly realises that he's only become desirable again because of the way he's been managed and mentored at Cappielow.

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

There's a big difference between having an advantage due to extra financial backing and spending well beyond any reasonable ambition for a club of that size. 

Ayr seem to be doing something very reasonable as long as the financial backing is there, and it gives them a competitive advantage over a club like Morton.

This is probably the most sensible thing posted here in the last 24 hours.

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

For that reason alone I’d say he’s away to someone like Raith or down South. 

I'd think the second of those options is the more likely. I think he's more likely to be at Ayr than Raith given the season he's had and the comments he's made. I think playing regularly and well is as important as cash.

1 minute ago, edinburghhonestman said:

This is probably the most sensible thing posted here in the last 24 hours.

Depends how you define “financial backing”.  Unless it’s in the. Form of shares funding is still the club’s liability and likely to bite you in the arse at a time of your creditor’s choosing.

3 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Depends how you define “financial backing”.  Unless it’s in the. Form of shares funding is still the club’s liability and likely to bite you in the arse at a time of your creditor’s choosing.

It isn’t. 

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It isn’t. 

Sure. That’s why your 2023 accounts show net assets of £62k.  Some war chest that is. You can just about afford to buy our pie kiosk.

A lot of rumours going around about Oakley leaving which typically leads to some fans trying to downplay how good he was for us, his goals/assists etc.

If he signs another deal with us then I'll be delighted as he's beckne an integral part or our team.

IF Ayr offer more money than us and he accepts that offer then good luck to him. He's got bills to pay like anyone else at the end of the day regardless of being a footballer or not. 

7 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

A pair of white socks away from being an all-time classic...

Hooped socks*

3 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Sure. That’s why your 2023 accounts show net assets of £62k.  Some war chest that is. You can just about afford to buy our pie kiosk.

😂

11 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

It might get a game for you lot at this rate next season since everyone’s jumping ship.

Morton were very prompt in posting about Crawford and Muirhead leaving so I guess that for the moment all else is speculation.

Like everyone else I am keen to have some news about players signing and/or leaving but as always the agents will be spinning and the journalists writing their stories. 

C'est la vie.