The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

5 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

What makes you say that?

Thomson works hard and gives 100% but whether he is up to Championship standard is still in doubt. He lacks sharpness and mobility on occasions and certainly doesn't stand out in our team. So I find it odd that Morton would give him a two year contract if they think they are going up. He might improve his sharpness with full time training but there is no way he will be good enough for the premier. If Morton are going up I'd have thought they would have waited until the summer before deciding who they needed to add to their squad

They don't need to sign him in the summer, pre-contracts have been broken in the past. It's an agreement to sign a proper contract but there will be clauses and stipulations included, if they go up they could potentially terminate the agreement. Considering Duffy has struggled to bring forward players in it looks a wise move to get strikers tied up early. I don't see Thommo being a starter at Morton at this stage but he has a few months to make his claim.

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They don't need to sign him in the summer, pre-contracts have been broken in the past. It's an agreement to sign a proper contract but there will be clauses and stipulations included, if they go up they could potentially terminate the agreement. Considering Duffy has struggled to bring forward players in it looks a wise move to get strikers tied up early. I don't see Thommo being a starter at Morton at this stage but he has a few months to make his claim.

Maybe. But the point still stands. Morton are preparing for life in the Championship next season.

Maybe. But the point still stands. Morton are preparing for life in the Championship next season.

I'm not a huge fan of Thomson and I am slightly surprised that Duffy has targetted him for a PCA but he obviously sees something in him. He does have a track record of getting the best out of previously average players.

If I was a Morton supporter I'd be more concerned if he was chucking massive contracts around for Premier League standard players at this stage. He struggled for striking options this season and looks to be trying to rectify this in preperation for next season. Whether or not he will be good enough remains to be seen.

Duffy signed Frank McKeown for the Championship having already won promotion, despite the player having done nothing to suggest that he was better than any other League One jobber. I don't think that it's wise to make any sort of move right now - other than for Sir Gavin or another obvious quality player/demi-God - but at the end of the day:

i) Duffy loves to have about 1700 'projects' to work on in training - most of which have turned out well and

ii) it's not going to cost much money anyway. 

If we're offering two year deals then we should be using them to tie down players in our current squad though.

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Duffy signed Frank McKeown for the Championship having already won promotion, despite the player having done nothing to suggest that he was better than any other League One jobber. I don't think that it's wise to make any sort of move right now - other than for Sir Gavin or another obvious quality player/demi-God, but at the end of the day:

i) Duffy loves to have about 1700 'projects' to work on in training - most of which have turned out well and

ii) it's not going to cost much money anyway. 

If we're offering two year deals then we should be using them to tie down players in our current squad though

Agreed. And should be offered to every one of them apart from Kudus & Scullion. 

Is Thompson good at holding the ball up and hassling defenders? Because that's all we really need from our main striker. Their job isn't the score goals. That's spread out right amongst the team.

He's not really the 'hold the ball up' type of player IMO. He's better turning defenders with a nice touch or move.

The main thing that lets him down for me (other than his composure infront of goal) is his lack of strength on the ball. I find he goes down to easily or gets shrugged off the ball too easily. For a guy of his size it can be massively frustrating at times.

I'd say he's been more effective out wide than up front. He's taller than most full backs so wins his fair share in the air and is a good target to hit. Stick him up against a big bruiser of a centre half and he tends to struggle.

2 hours ago, sigton said:

Rangers manager resigns

Now that's efficiency for you. 25 pages in 2 hours elsewhere on P&B about this, and all it merits is two posts on here.

I dare say our victory on Sunday will maybe deserve a few posts more.......

On 2/11/2017 at 00:15, Rudolph Hucker said:

Now that's efficiency for you. 25 pages in 2 hours elsewhere on P&B about this, and all it merits is two posts on here.

I dare say our victory on Sunday will maybe deserve a few posts more.......

It's not till a week on Tuesday Scotty boy! :)

54 minutes ago, ashton said:

It's not till a week on Tuesday Scotty boy! :)

Err, "Scotty"??!! Once again, nae idea what you're rambling about.

You going to the game today, or are you "moving some furniture" yet again, Creepy?

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Err, "Scotty"??!! Once again, nae idea what you're rambling about.

You going to the game today, or are you "moving some furniture" yet again, Creepy?

That might be courting disaster Dunc! ;)