The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I don't know how accurate it is but I'd heard Darren Barr had an offer from you and he's yet to sign up with us.

I wouldn't be excited about this move other than it looking to be back up to Kilday/O'Ware/Lamie. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

Given Aitken's comments about Chris Higgins being a captain when we missed out on him, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Barr moving on. It would be a blow to lose him, but Buchanan will be a tougher guy to replace imo.

Makes the decision to let Lang go look even weirder if we knew there was the potential for this to happen.

We can and we will. Barr is no better than the three centre backs that we've already got; I'd be disappointed if we added a decent option to the squad instead of actually improving our first team in that position.

I'm not buying the 'can also play defensive midfield' line, after several years of O'Ware being occasionally shoehorned into the team on the same basis and being largely ineffective. It's a different position and I don't see how a fairly slow, aging player like Barr would work alongside Murdoch in there. With us playing two in central midfield it would get swamped; we need a Lindsay type of midfielder capable of pressing to make that system work.

Which is also why I'm not massively concerned if Tidser leaves.

Just now, virginton said:

I'm not buying the 'can also play defensive midfield' line, after several years of O'Ware being occasionally shoehorned into the team on the same basis and being largely ineffective. It's a different position and I don't see how a fairly slow, aging player like Barr would work alongside Murdoch in there. With us playing two in central midfield it would get swamped; we need a Lindsay type of midfielder capable of pressing to make that system work.

Which is also why I'm not massively concerned if Tidser leaves.

That's fair enough, we played with a midfield 5 with Barr and A.N Other so he probably wasn't as exposed as he would be in a 4-4-2. He cleared things up well in there and broke up attacks for us, agree that Morton will be looking for more than that. He's certainly no replacement for Jamie Lindsay.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

We can and we will. Barr is no better than the three centre backs that we've already got; I'd be disappointed if we added a decent option to the squad instead of actually improving our first team in that position.

Pretty much that. He's not an upgrade on what we've got, much like Harkins isn't an upgrade on Tidser. I really think we shoukd be waiting to see what options are available before committing to the likes of Barr.

Darren is registering as a player to give us the option for him to actually play alongside the young boys in the development squad.

“The fact that he is 32 years of age, an experienced player who’s been around the Scotland national squad, means he has a lot to offer, there’s no doubt about that.

“I’d expect him to play in some of the 20s games, because I remember from my time at Sunderland when I played up front in the reserves with the likes of Peter Davenport and Eric Gates.

“They were both ex-England internationals, and I learned more in one game playing alongside those experienced players than I did in 10 games with a guy the same age as me.

“So I think it’s very important that we harness what we can have with Darren in terms of that additional element of being out there on the park.

“As far as first-team duties are concerned, he will be solely there as back-up just in case of an injury crisis. This is about the coaching – Darren has got the job to be our 20s coach and bring on our young players.”

Not sure whether that will impact our first team dealings at all tbh. We could now go with our current set of defenders (if Russell and Doyle sign) for the season, but I'd still be looking for a better centre-back and at a push, better right-back cover than Kilday as well. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Not sure whether that will impact our first team dealings at all tbh. We could now go with our current set of defenders (if Russell and Doyle sign) for the season, but I'd still be looking for a better centre-back and at a push, better right-back cover than Kilday as well. 

Darren is a replacement for Andy Millen and is therefore in a different budget from JD's first team budget - no impact on what he has available in that respect.