The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

Apologies if this has already come up, but United are being linked with Brian Schwake apparently. He any good for you guys? Is he one of these keepers that attempts to keep shots from going in the net that I’ve heard so much about?

If by 'linked' you are referring to that Transfers Scotland twitter page - you haven't been linked.

A wee bit disappointing that. Hardly who we should be aspiring for a first-choice RB but he would be a decent cover and he's said to be good to have in a dressing room. Still a half decent player.

Don't know who the first half RB was at Alloa, but they seemed to be decent, not great, though.

7 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

Apologies if this has already come up, but United are being linked with Brian Schwake apparently. He any good for you guys? Is he one of these keepers that attempts to keep shots from going in the net that I’ve heard so much about?

Good keeper. I guess you want him as backup, or on loan. Decent choice. Doubt his new club will let him move on so soon.

3 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

A wee bit disappointing that. Hardly who we should be aspiring for a first-choice RB but he would be a decent cover and he's said to be good to have in a dressing room. Still a half decent player.

Don't know who the first half RB was at Alloa, but they seemed to be decent, not great, though.

Disappointing in what way? If we're aiming for the playoffs then we should be targeting much better.

Broadfoot is already signed to cover rb and cb.

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Disappointing in what way? If we're aiming for the playoffs then we should be targeting much better.

If he's as slow as he looked on Saturday there's not a chance that broadfoot will play rb for us. Maybe shove O'connor out there but I still think we need a pignatiello type cover even if it's not Doyle. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

You answered your question (and firmly contradicted your first statement) with that last sentence.

2 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

You answered your question (and firmly contradicted your first statement) with that last sentence.

Broadfoot has been brought to the club in the 'efe' role and will also help out in a coaching capacity.  A player who can play a few positions and is coaching kills a few birds with one stone. 

I'll wait for you to answer my question.  

Or you can continue to talk pish.

44 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Broadfoot has been brought to the club in the 'efe' role and will also help out in a coaching capacity.  A player who can play a few positions and is coaching kills a few birds with one stone. 

What evidence is there that any of that is true?

46 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

The "help out in a coaching capacity" is the only good thing he offers. He runs at, approximately,  the speed of the Glasgow M8 at Rush Hour. If we're expecting him to be our cover RB (and simultaneously saying Doyle isn't a high enough caliber of signing), we are totally f**ked.

Ok, that's extreme. We're taking a huge gamble.

Efe is at the end of his top-level career now. The drop to our league was the beginning of the end, but he had a year or two left in him and we got a year of that.

Kirk is beyond the end. He was playing with Broomhill, for f**k's sake. He's the Efe role on paper, sure, but is nowhere near the level Efe is, even now.

He was terrifying at alloa (not in a good way) and if he's our defensive cover for this season, only some form of higher being could save us if O'Connor or Baird are injured.

On another note, I wasn't "talking pish", you did give the answer to your question. Doyle is a decent cover RB and is said to be good around the dressing room. It's disappointing that we've turned down a player who is still half-decent in favour of a near-40 year old player who is fighting the concept of retirement. If he wants SPFL football he should realistically go to Clyde or something.

He is not an acceptable cover option at this level. Doyle is.

Neither are acceptable for starting positions, though.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Ignoring any concept of why he was at Broomhill for a year.

He still played for them. Probably close to his current level as well.

Done get me wrong, he had a decent career and was a good player in his younger days.

He just doesn't remotely cut.

(Whilst we're on the topic of Broomhill and Kirk - did anyone else find it somewhat funny that he blasted them for unprofessionalism, when he was playing for a mid-table lowland league club?)

Broadfoot should be nowhere near right back at this stage of his career. We need a first choice right back and someone who can cover full back on both sides, as Broadfoot is not a credible option anywhere other than centre back at 38.

As for Schwake, I think how error-prone he is was massively overstated after Arbroath and he was one of the better goalkeepers in the league while also having the potential to improve further, but the point stands that when he did make a rare mistake, they were firmly in the total howler category rather than something where he just should have done a bit better. With that in mind I'd agree that I'm not sure Dundee United is the best place for him.

9 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Done get me wrong, he had a decent career and was a good player in his younger days.

(Whilst we're on the topic of Broomhill and Kirk - did anyone else find it somewhat funny that he blasted them for unprofessionalism, when he was playing for a mid-table lowland league club?)

Thought it was poor especially considering how highly everyone playing for Broomhill talked about him on the documentaries. Seems like a completely unnecessary thing to say to burn a whole lot of bridges for no reason whatsoever. Actually think he’s pretty steady and will be fine at centre half starting or as back up.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thought it was poor especially considering how highly everyone playing for Broomhill talked about him on the documentaries. Seems like a completely unnecessary thing to say to burn a whole lot of bridges for no reason whatsoever. Actually think he’s pretty steady and will be fine at centre half starting or as back up.

Their was nothing unnecessary or wrong about it what he said. To paraphrase, his words were "they were drinking on the bus, I understand why they might do that, but I didn't like it and it wasn't for me". What's the big deal there?

11 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

You make it sound like he naturally slid to that level. He was offered another deal at Championship level for last season but chose to focus on outside commitments so took lower commitment part time football alongside it.

We get it. You don't like the guy.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

You make it sound like he naturally slid to that level. He was offered another deal at Championship level for last season but chose to focus on outside commitments so took lower commitment part time football alongside it.

We get it. You don't like the guy.

I don't not like the guy.

He's just not good enough for this level. He's 40 and he was playing the lowland league last year. Doesn't matter why, he was. He's been out of the professional game (even if only for a year), he's way beyond his peak and he's slow as f**k.

It's nothing about him as a person, it's just not what we need. At his age, his abilities will be declining fairly fast, as well. Just because a championship team offered him a deal last term doesn't mean he's capable this year. We saw a little bit of it with Efe last season, he looked a bit less confident in his abilities in his few appearances after the Celtic game. That could be because of his mistake(s) up there, or it could just be age catching up.

As I also said above, I fail to see how others can claim Doyle isn't a good enough signing as cover, yet also say Broadfoot, somehow, is.

41 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

As I also said above, I fail to see how others can claim Doyle isn't a good enough signing as cover, yet also say Broadfoot, somehow, is.

Experience and pedigree.

Dougie has been very clear on what attributes he feels Broadfoot adds to the squad dynamic. Setting standards. Leadership. Experience. 

I am also far more likely to take his option on Broadfoot's current level than someone who had maybe seen one first pre-season runaround.

Anyway  expectation levels around game time matters here. The expectation for the 'Efe' role in the squad is for limited game time. Broadfoot is fine. Expectation around the competition/cover for fullback game time is far higher therefore the hope is for better than Doyle.

Edited by Jamie_M

54 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Experience and pedigree.

Dougie has been very clear on what attributes he feels Broadfoot adds to the squad dynamic. Setting standards. Leadership. Experience. 

I am also far more likely to take his option on Broadfoot's current level than someone who had maybe seen one first pre-season runaround.

Anyway  expectation levels around game time matters here. The expectation for the 'Efe' role in the squad is for limited game time. Broadfoot is fine. Expectation around the competition/cover for fullback game time is far higher therefore the hope is for better than Doyle.

The best person for 'the Efe role' might well have been Efe but he has gone. I wonder where he will turn up next. Immensely popular and good man to have around and on the bench but never going to command a regular place. Such players are of limited value and I suspect we will struggle to do better than Efe.