The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Bearne will be going nowhere, he’s done well in preseason and will be fighting for the jersey when the proper stuff comes around. I like him, quick and can beat a player, it’s brilliant to have real options at the top end of the park with each player capable of scoring goals. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Also pleasantly surprised by how quickly we got Boyes in… left-sided centre-back who can also play left-back was priority no. 1.

I'm sure we tried him at LB a few times and he looked out of his depth, as a CB he was fairly error prone for us. Although the caveat there is that it was a higher level with a bit more pressure on him, he's not one I would've been happy with us keeping on in all honesty but seems a nice enough guy so hope he does well. The main issue with him is that he seems very prone to making an error when under pressure, he had quite a few major errors that lost him his spot in our team 2 seasons ago.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I'm sure we tried him at LB a few times and he looked out of his depth, as a CB he was fairly error prone for us. Although the caveat there is that it was a higher level with a bit more pressure on him, he's not one I would've been happy with us keeping on in all honesty but seems a nice enough guy so hope he does well. The main issue with him is that he seems very prone to making an error when under pressure, he had quite a few major errors that lost him his spot in our team 2 seasons ago.

He's not long turned 23 so must have been 20/21 playing for you in the Premiership in his first season playing professional so not surprised he made a few mistakes.

Hopefully now that he's a few years older and has Championship experience under his belt, we will get the best of him.

Thought he looked very composed today, another decent bit of business from Imrie.

6 minutes ago, madton said:

He's not long turned 23 so must have been 20/21 playing for you in the Premiership in his first season playing professional so not surprised he made a few mistakes.

Hopefully now that he's a few years older and has Championship experience under his belt, we will get the best of him.

Thought he looked very composed today, another decent bit of business from Imrie.

I'm sure Imrie was with us when Boyes was with us as well, so he'll certainly know him and have seen him in training if I'm correct

2 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Bearne will be going nowhere, he’s done well in preseason and will be fighting for the jersey when the proper stuff comes around. I like him, quick and can beat a player, it’s brilliant to have real options at the top end of the park with each player capable of scoring goals. 

Given that Bearne couldn't regularly overcome the ferocious competition of *checks notes* Steven Boyd and a Jai Quitongo with chocolate hamstrings to play for large spells of last season, you're either reaching with your expectations or the 'real options' we have now in that area of the team are utter dung. 

If we wanted someone who can beat a player then we should re-sign Paul Walker. A Championship level player either needs a more direct tactical purpose (Quitongo) or an actual end product in goals/assists. 

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

Given that Bearne couldn't regularly overcome the ferocious competition of *checks notes* Steven Boyd and a Jai Quitongo with chocolate hamstrings to play for large spells of last season, you're either reaching with your expectations or the 'real options' we have now in that area of the team are utter dung. 

If we wanted someone who can beat a player then we should re-sign Paul Walker. A Championship level player either needs a more direct tactical purpose (Quitongo) or an actual end product in goals/assists. 

Bearne provided an assist for our winning goal literally 7 days ago. 

From the last 3 games I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bearne goes out on loan. In my opinion he's been the least effective of the wide players. Yes he is pacy and has a few tricks in the locker but overall his end product and contribution hasn't been good enough since he came to the club. If he is wanting to nail down a place in the team then he really needs to be doing more and consistently. Of what we have seen moffat, Garrity and Reynolds have contributed more overall. 

download-5.jpeg.9a1d1fd64069a88b24a5fccf221df864.jpeg

download-8.jpeg.164d788fbeb4516faff6da122dadbf38.jpeg

I think that's a signing we really needed. I know Corr may well have signed expecting to be first choice, but he's a 19 year old who's only played 9 games at this level. Even without him getting injured we needed a credible alternative to step in if he goes through a poor run of form, and Boyes fits that bill. Puts a much healthier distance between Broadfoot and the starting XI too - an experienced player helping out with coaching while filling in sparingly as a fourth choice centre back who should only be needed in emergencies is much better than potentially being forced to give him 20+ games again.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

download-5.jpeg.9a1d1fd64069a88b24a5fccf221df864.jpeg

download-8.jpeg.164d788fbeb4516faff6da122dadbf38.jpeg

I think that's a signing we really needed. I know Corr may well have signed expecting to be first choice, but he's a 19 year old who's only played 9 games at this level. Even without him getting injured we needed a credible alternative to step in if he goes through a poor run of form, and Boyes fits that bill. Puts a much healthier distance between Broadfoot and the starting XI too - an experienced player helping out with coaching while filling in sparingly as a fourth choice centre back who should only be needed in emergencies is much better than potentially being forced to give him 20+ games again.

Is broadfoot definitely coaching with us now

Edited by Mr.Blue

42 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Is broadfoot definitely coaching with us now

Not formally. But we don't exactly carry an abundance of coaches therefore it's not much of a stretch to assume the most senior players might help a bit.

39 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Further evidence of Imrie's jealousy of academy graduates revealed:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lewis-strapp-reveals-how-morton-33184538

One side of a story which has three sides- Strapp’s, Imrie’s and what actually happened, you mean?

Or evidence that Strapp and Imrie just didn’t get along, and the difference was more personal than due to Strapp’s career path?

Or not really evidence of fault on Imrie’s part at all, just fuel for you to further your agenda against the manager?

You could have let this one slide and nobody would have registered your nonsense from last season, but no, that’s not in your nature.

Don’t back down, double down.

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

One side of a story which has three sides- Strapp’s, Imrie’s and what actually happened, you mean?

Or evidence that Strapp and Imrie just didn’t get along, and the difference was more personal than due to Strapp’s career path?

Or not really evidence of fault on Imrie’s part at all, just fuel for you to further your agenda against the manager?

You could have let this one slide and nobody would have registered your nonsense from last season, but no, that’s not in your nature.

He's an attention seeking bellend. 

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Given that Bearne couldn't regularly overcome the ferocious competition of *checks notes* Steven Boyd and a Jai Quitongo with chocolate hamstrings to play for large spells of last season

I’m pretty sure he made more appearances than either of them 🤔 

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Why would Lewis Strapp lie about this? He has a new start in Finland so the only reason he would tell his story is to put the record straight. 

There's no reason he would decide to concoct a bunch of lies at the start of his new career.

He's only one of a series of academy players who've been released, who've then told how they were blanked then reased by Imrie with no explanation given. He tries to keep one or two token academy players on to pretend he's interested in them, but it always ends the same way.

I met some people from Hamilton at the Euros who know Dougie and his family, and I wouldn't repeat what they said as it was far worse than anything I said to get me banned from the Morton Forum. However they confirmed he has a massive chip on his shoulder about the start of his own career and his attitude to our academy players would be completely in step with his persona.

As I've said before, I feel this is the only real flaw in his management style, but for me it's a major one that I can't keep silent on.

8 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I met some people from Hamilton at the Euros who know Dougie and his family, and I wouldn't repeat what they said as it was far worse than

It’s funny you say that because I also met people from Hamilton in Germany who knew Imrie and they couldn’t have been more complimentary about him.

30 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Why would Lewis Strapp lie about this?  

He's obviously bitter and angry about the way he perceives he's been mistreated, so I'd take everything in that article with a huge pinch of salt. He also disclosed the contents of a private conversation which is unprofessional at best, and downright despicable at worst. 

Lewis and Dougie quite obviously just did not get along with each other. It happens in every workplace. But your automatic assumption that Dougie's dislike of Lewis is purely down to the fact he's an academy graduate is patently absolute nonsense. And yet you tediously persist. But since you referred to Ton fans as scum to ingratiate yourself with Partick fans of all people, we can safely ignore anything and everything you say and mark you down as a solid wrong 'un..

Edited by cet homme charmant