The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

My worry is that there’s absolutely zero chance that JET was even first, second or third choice for Imrie in the striker department and he was possibly even further down the line for all we know given the fact Imrie has made him prove his fitness and only offered him a 6 month deal, which would never have been his ideal  plan for our first choice number 9 this season. 

When you’re a club like Morton battling at the bottom of the full time market and you’re forced to sign players further and further down your transfer targets then the potential for success gets less and less. 

Is it not a bit early to be writing the guy off before he’s kicked a ball for us? 
The same people posted similar concerns over Oakley and Quitongo, both of whom were reinvigorated by Dougie. I don’t see him as a prolific goal scorer, more of a focal point who will make space for others to score.

Any chance that for once we can turn up expecting good things and only start moaning if it doesn’t happen? 

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Being sceptical about a signing based on their record is not writing them off.

Sceptical doesn’t equate to the descriptions above, ‘pish”,  “carthorse”, “panic signing” etc.

Morton “fans” are the undisputed Scottish Champions at this stuff.

5 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Sceptical doesn’t equate to the descriptions above, ‘pish”,  “carthorse”, “panic signing” etc.

Morton “fans” are the undisputed Scottish Champions at this stuff.

You got banned from the forum for overreacting.

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

My worry is that there’s absolutely zero chance that JET was even first, second or third choice for Imrie in the striker department and he was possibly even further down the line for all we know given the fact Imrie has made him prove his fitness and only offered him a 6 month deal, which would never have been his ideal  plan for our first choice number 9 this season. 

When you’re a club like Morton battling at the bottom of the full time market and you’re forced to sign players further and further down your transfer targets then the potential for success gets less and less. 

Dougie was saying before Bearne left that there would be other player(s) to come in. I would imagine Bearne's wage would have funded bringing in Jet.

It's more than possible these players will be loan players which could take a few weeks to get them in.

With us not firing on all cylinders up front, Dougie has brought an experienced forward in, as Davies and Reynolds are still to adapt to the game up here. 

I don't think Jet is/was ever our long term no.9 That's not to say he cannot be our no.9 - depends on his fitness and form.

Think Dougie was expecting more from Davies in particular, given his goal scoring record in Wales. I recently read an article on him as he had just scored his 26th goal of the season and was called up to the Wales C Team. The article describes him as a "hot shot" striker. Perhaps the step up from PT football and a grueling pre-season has affected his form. Hopefully we now start to see what Davies is all about. 

With Corr out for a good while, I wonder if Dougie will bring in another CB on a 6 month contract/loan?  I would imagine he would have to shift out another couple of players on loan again such as King and O'Boy to fund it.

33 minutes ago, port-ton said:

You got banned from the forum for overreacting.

I got banned for championing the cause of our academy players, and losing the plot at Dougie for his attitude towards them.

it’s the only facet of his management I had a problem with, certainly not his ability to transform the careers of players such as Muirhead, Oakley and Quitongo.
But now some of Dougie’s previous apologists are condemning him for attempting a similar trick with JET.

The usual contradictions from the Inverclyde intellectuals’ forum.

2 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I got banned for championing the cause of our academy players, and losing the plot at Dougie for his attitude towards them.

it’s the only facet of his management I had a problem with, certainly not his ability to transform the careers of players such as Muirhead, Oakley and Quitongo.
But now some of Dougie’s previous apologists are condemning him for attempting a similar trick with JET.

So what would you call losing the plot at Dougie then? I can think of a word that might suit.

A tad bit better, got the win though over a decent Alloa team. still some concerns over some of the passing, aerial ability and composure. 

Good finishes for the goals we scored and Mullen really unfortunate at theirs, defenders failed to clear lines causing the stramash after a brilliant save.   

We seem to want to have an age on the ball before picking a pass leading to a turnover in possession way too often. my big annoyance is normally that we are normally poor at winning second balls from lofted passes but it seems we cant even get the initial ball down just now, 

another 2 injuries today too, while i thought Reynolds did okay, i felt we were a lot more potent with Garrity on the left. King did alright when he came on too O'Boy did okay but could probably use another loan spell away.  

Overall very disappointing Group stage and can only hope the return of Boyes and Baird and a debut for Shaw comes soon. 

A lot better today performance wise. Team undoubtedly beginning to gel. 

Still a bit disappointing in the final 1/3 though and you can see why Dougie has brought in JET. Garrity was excellent when he came on for the injured Moffat.

The injury to Moffat looked more like a dead leg after a hefty challenge in which the Alloa player was booked. Moffat had a decent game and scored a great goal.

Alloa had no answer to Garrity and he could have had more if it wasn't for their keeper. 

Our defence was rarely troubled and the Alloa goal was a result of a stramash in the box. 

Good result against a good Alloa team. Feeling a tad more optimistic again 😁  

4 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

A lot better today performance wise. Team undoubtedly beginning to gel. 

Still a bit disappointing in the final 1/3 though and you can see why Dougie has brought in JET. Garrity was excellent when he came on for the injured Moffat.

The injury to Moffat looked more like a dead leg after a hefty challenge in which the Alloa player was booked. Moffat had a decent game and scored a great goal.

Alloa had no answer to Garrity and he could have had more if it wasn't for their keeper. 

Our defence was rarely troubled and the Alloa goal was a result of a stramash in the box. 

Good result against a good Alloa team. Feeling a tad more optimistic again 😁  

Agree with this. This is the first time we actually looked like a championship team playing lower league opposition. On another day we score 3 or 4 there today. Couple of good saves and some poor finishing. Hopefully in the coming weeks we see Davies and Reynolds finding their feet a bit more again. Thought both were probably the best I’ve seen either. Still a bit of work to do but signs of things starting to settle down. 

7 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

5 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Changing an opinion into a drink fueled personal attack.

Translating a “drink fuelled personal attack” on the manager as “championing the cause of our academy players” is some amount of heavy lifting, it has to be said.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Translating a “drink fuelled personal attack” on the manager as “championing the cause of our academy players” is some amount of heavy lifting, it has to be said.

He's a delusional fanny.