The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

4 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Brian Schwake chucking one in vs Arbroath, and Alexander King shanking a clearance in the run up to Dundee equalising against us in the 3-3 game at Dens also cost us promotion. 

We didn't go on a six game winless run coinciding with either of them being introduced to the starting XI which then ended as soon as they were finally binned, though.

People focus too much on the penalty miss at Arbroath - all players who've taken them have missed penalties. However not all players are abysmal at every single aspect of the game and make every one of their teammates worse just by being there, completely disrupting a winning team the way Crawford did.

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

I just can't see Dougie signing him after a few weeks training with us if he was as pish as he was last time.

And as I say time will tell

He gave Broadfoot a new contract despite how pish he was all last season. As good as his recruitment has been overall he's still made some individual diabolical decisions and as with that Broadfoot contract and signing Steven Boyd, there is absolutely no reason to be positive about this signing. As with Broadfoot and Boyd Crawford'll get his chance to prove the entirely justified criticism wrong, but as with Broadfoot and Boyd he probably won't because like those two every single piece of evidence we have points to him being an atrocious footballer.

To Crawford's credit he does at least acknowledge in more diplomatic words in his interview how bad he was in his first spell here, so points for self-awareness and knowing he needs to improve which sets him apart from Broadfoot seemingly genuinely believing his continual disasters are everyone else's fault.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

He single-handedly cost us the promotion playoffs the last time he was here, he can go one better and relegate us this time.

Quite apart from the issue of the player in question being shite, Imrie can have no complaints about the constraints of his budget if he stockpiles so many players in one area of the park. Even with Bearne's departure we had no need for another 'anywhere behind the striker' attacking player with Moffat, Lyall, Garrity, Shaw, Reynolds, Davies and King already providing ample cover for those positions, while we're clearly short in deeper midfield positions and fullback cover.

New start, give the man a chance trust the plan , he might suit us this season, my question would be if he comes good this time playing a different style of football then why did he take him last time knowing it would not suit him lol  let's get right behind them all tomorrow not one point in the league has been won or lost yet.

I will give him a chance, but I’m just baffled by it. As stated above, we did not need another player in that position - before even getting onto the fact he was horseshit here not very long ago. 

The change in style will suit him more, but I don’t believe that to be the root cause of his form last year. 

Good luck to him, but it reeks of a favour for a mate. 

Crawford probably fits in perfectly with the car sharing arrangements.

Imrie should be banned now from signing anyone who previously played for Hamilton, Livingstone or Inverness.

On 02/08/2024 at 16:49, Colkitto said:

Dougie has obviously had a good look at him over the last few weeks.

When he came on in one of the friendly games he looked a lot better than he did when he was previously with us.

Time will tell obviously...

Ali Crawford.. 😍

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Ali Crawford.. 😍

Oh but Morton are shit our players are utter dross , we have Crawford man he's pants and oh we just don't have players that can pass a ball . Imrie is mental what happened surely we should have got pumped off a team away from home fave to win this,while we are relegation material. I mean every bookie and fan in Scotland including the majority of our own! had us gubbed fkn start believing get right fkn behind Dougie and let's fkn go, a point away from home is massive right now because we can only get better , Crawford for me was our best player and if we won the league by one point would you say he fkn done it for us just like he got the blame for loosing us the league  at Arbroath I mean no one with a brain should state gubbins like that? Long way to go, and I fkn hope we keep improving, and I do hope Lamar and Davies come good they will as I fkn believe and as a fan as I fkn want them to and I'm behind them  . Points in this table is what matters , look at every score prediction, look at every bookies  odds on us for today ,we had no right to get a point, yet we fkn did and we also did not looking desperate doing so .next game we can get three at home if we just fkn believe a little. This season is a season we can make special.

Edited by montheton11

47 minutes ago, montheton11 said:

Oh but Morton are shit our players are utter dross , we have Crawford man he's pants and oh we just don't have players that can pass a ball . Imrie is mental what happened surely we should have got pumped off a team away from home fave to win this,while we are relegation material. I mean every bookie and fan in Scotland including the majority of our own! had us gubbed fkn start believing get right fkn behind Dougie and let's fkn go, a point away from home is massive right now because we can only get better , Crawford for me was our best player and if we won the league by one point would you say he fkn done it for us just like he got the blame for loosing us the league  at Arbroath I mean no one with a brain should state gubbins like that? Long way to go, and I fkn hope we keep improving, and I do hope Lamar and Davies come good they will as I fkn believe and as a fan as I fkn want them to and I'm behind them  . Points in this table is what matters , look at every score prediction, look at every bookies  odds on us for today ,we had no right to get a point, yet we fkn did and we also did not look desperate doing so .next game we can get three at home if we just fkn believe a little. This season is a season we can make special.

My eyes are bleeding.

1 hour ago, montheton11 said:

Oh but Morton are shit our players are utter dross , we have Crawford man he's pants and oh we just don't have players that can pass a ball . Imrie is mental what happened surely we should have got pumped off a team away from home fave to win this,while we are relegation material. I mean every bookie and fan in Scotland including the majority of our own! had us gubbed fkn start believing get right fkn behind Dougie and let's fkn go, a point away from home is massive right now because we can only get better , Crawford for me was our best player and if we won the league by one point would you say he fkn done it for us just like he got the blame for loosing us the league  at Arbroath I mean no one with a brain should state gubbins like that? Long way to go, and I fkn hope we keep improving, and I do hope Lamar and Davies come good they will as I fkn believe and as a fan as I fkn want them to and I'm behind them  . Points in this table is what matters , look at every score prediction, look at every bookies  odds on us for today ,we had no right to get a point, yet we fkn did and we also did not look desperate doing so .next game we can get three at home if we just fkn believe a little. This season is a season we can make special.

If this is after a 0-0 draw at home I cannot wait to see what you’re like after you actually win a game. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

If this is after a 0-0 draw at home I cannot wait to see what you’re like after you actually win a game. 

We got a point away ? Yes I can't wait till next Saturday and hope we fkn win and win comfortably. As each week passes this team gells more and more , every pass, every shout, and one two , every little mistake can be worked on and improved on  we are a team in transition and I'm all for it some don't get it but I f**king do .

1 minute ago, montheton11 said:

We got a point away ? Yes I can't wait till next Saturday and hope we fkn win and win comfortably. As each week passes this team gells more and more , every pass, every shout, and one two , every little mistake can be worked on and improved on  we are a team in transition and I'm all for it some don't get it but I f**king do .

Apologies, away.

Still, get hyped mate. 

51 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Apologies, away.

Still, get hyped mate. 

A point away from home when your relagation favourites Vs a team probs fave to win it  is a lot is it not? I mean Morton's new style o play, new players , a team in total transition,can only get better , and next time Patrick play us we may be flying. ? Id rather this than a first game of the season at home to Hamilton,  get pumped and all our impatient but very knowledgeable fans shouting for imrie to be hung after week one ,

Edited by montheton11

1 hour ago, montheton11 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

Look Dougie is saying it, we don't need division , he wants us all pulling together, that game against Motherwell for e.g we need that vibe that feeling that support all pulling together for what he wants to achieve , I feel we have a manger who saved us from  downward spiral when he took over , he may seem stubborn but look at the budget he has each year , he can get the best out players he has around him ,he has put us in  in a position where we gave our self a chance near the end of the season, after years of nothingness , he now has plans for this season, he knows players better than you or me does , he will make some mistakes but he can learn and he does , he understands for us to be successful he needs the fans , he stood by the team last year when others never and we went on that run, people forget but if we lost four of those games we would be down, people doubted him  , he now has a team he feels is more  skillful youthful, and we have cover in multiple positions a stronger bench learning again from failings of last year . I'm not 'i told you so type.of guy I'm more of a come on the season is young let's f**king back every last one of them .

One aspect of the game on Saturday was the way Morton were trying to play more of a passing game.  In the first half, there were a couple of times when some combination of (I think) Lyall, Moffat and Garrity worked the ball up the left and put passses through the eye of a needle between the fullback and right midfielder for Garrity (I think) to get a cross in.  It was all very tight and precise football unlike what we'd have done last season.  These players seem to have confidence in their ability to take the ball even when they had markers close to them, and keep it.  We're still a bit deficient at taking chances but the ethos of the team seems to have moved far more towards football on the deck - by comparison, it was Partick who looked like the hoofball team.  We are not the finished article by any means but I look forward to how this squad develops.

16 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

I thought Morton might win the Championship, I thought they might go through the season undefeated too…. now I’m thinking they may do both without even conceding a goal…

Or scoring one.

It's so far, so good at the moment.  The one aspect of our play so far is that we are struggling to score goals.  That's the thing we need to sort out.  We have a decent keeper, decent back line, decent midfield, but pretty much nothing up front.  And not a lot of options to bring on subs of the same quality as our starting XI.  Most seasons there will be a player (sometimes more than one) who is an obvious weak spot and is always selected to start but unless the intention is to bring Broadfoot back in when he recovers from injury (assuming he is actually injured!), we actually have a reasonably balanced squad on which to build.  I await a striker coming in on loan as that's the main deficiency at the moment.

Still don't see why we signed Reynolds, and Davies needs to show something too, but if they're not starting, it's not quite such a disaster.

Edited by Alibi