Learning to Drive

That would make more sense.. The problem I had when I just started lessons was when changing gears I was either lifting the clutch too quick or using the accelerator too quick, once you get a hold of it though it's a piece of piss and you will just get better all the time.

Yeah this is the problem I am having. I also seem to be getting into the habit of, when changing down to 2nd gear for turning left, forgetting to take my foot off the clutch before turning. Oops...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've driven once in the past three years. It was a training course and I drove a mini van to Peterhead. Everything seems to go fine, much better than I was expecting. I told the other girl doing the course with me I was sure I would crash - she took it serious and was a nervous wreck!

Don't want to leave it too long as it is something you will forget (clutch down going round a corner, if you're changing gears I guess :unsure:. I'd rather be down in second on approach).

Haven't needed a car recently, and really not keen to be driving around the horror show that is the 'deen.

As for learning to drive - passed second time but I had loads of lessons, 40-50 is my recollection.

I've driven once in the past three years. It was a training course and I drove a mini van to Peterhead. Everything seems to go fine, much better than I was expecting. I told the other girl doing the course with me I was sure I would crash - she took it serious and was a nervous wreck!

Don't want to leave it too long as it is something you will forget (clutch down going round a corner, if you're changing gears I guess :unsure:. I'd rather be down in second on approach).

Haven't needed a car recently, and really not keen to be driving around the horror show that is the 'deen.

As for learning to drive - passed second time but I had loads of lessons, 40-50 is my recollection.

I lived in Aberdeen for two years, long before I could drive. I drove up there from Glasgow a few months back and it was fucking horrific! Never again. An awful, awful city to drive in.

Is it still 3 years you have to have your driving licence before you can take a learner out?

This. Some people can even drive when they're pissed, it's that easy.

^^ This.

I used to do it regularly back in my mis-spent youth days. All my mates said I drove much better when pissed.

Don't do it now, of course - Kilbowie2002 please note.

:)

Think the only time I've ever properly drunk-and-driven was when the boss unexpectedly took us all out for a meal after work and I decided it would be quite safe to have a few drinks as I was getting the train home afterwards, for some reason completely forgetting that I still had to drive home from the station at the other end. Not sure at what point in the evening this actually occurred to me, but it was either that or ring up my heavily pregnant wife at midnight to walk down to the station (where the car was parked) and drive me home.

Think the only time I've ever properly drunk-and-driven was when the boss unexpectedly took us all out for a meal after work and I decided it would be quite safe to have a few drinks as I was getting the train home afterwards, for some reason completely forgetting that I still had to drive home from the station at the other end. Not sure at what point in the evening this actually occurred to me, but it was either that or ring up my heavily pregnant wife at midnight to walk down to the station (where the car was parked) and drive me home.

So it would have been okay for your "heavily pregnant wife" to walk down to the station at midnight to drive you home, but not okay for you to walk home from the station?

So it would have been okay for your "heavily pregnant wife" to walk down to the station at midnight to drive you home, but not okay for you to walk home from the station?

Not the kind of place you'd want to leave your car all night.

I've never driven a car before although I have flown a plane thanks to getting a flying lesson as a present years ago.

Through various jobs, however, I've driven a boat, flatbed truck and excavator. The first time I ever had to drive anything motorised and with four wheels I was by myself round the back of the pit lanes at the Melbourne Grand Prix and had to work out what the f**k I was doing. Making things slightly worse was that it was in full view of all the steaming punters on one side and the pit-teams on the other.

Generally driving is for gimps, though.

I learned to drive back in 94, two week intensive course, my first test was cancelled whilst we were sat in test centre due to examiner taking ill suddenly, my re-arranged test, done the old sight test(can you read that registration plate from here?) got in car tried to start it up and ......nothing , fecking car died on me!! passed on third test ,my acceleration in going from a 30 limit side street to a 40 main road was a major factor in my passing !!

I nominate Edinburgh as the most horrific city to drive in

Probably, but Glenrothes is the worst town IMO. Just roundabout after roundabout.

Clutch control going round corners? The only time clutch control is used is on a hill or edging out a give way. You will get used to it soon enough, it's a great feeling passing your test!

It can be helpful to use the clutch when changing gear.

Certainly makes for quieter gear changes.

;)

Archived