Scotland Must Sees

Mon_The_Fife

Land on the beach at Barra, cycle round, then head North to Eriskay then Harris and Lewis via the Uists. Go to Orkney- tons of amazing historical stuff there too ( including a Liberal MP), and good local whisky and beer.

I don't doubt it's fun, but there's better islands with more to see & do.

Orkneys are a good shout. There's also a couple of good plane landings on the smaller islands. If you like hitting a dirt track at 100mph that is.

Orkney also has the world's shortest commercial flight which is apparently a tourist attraction. Think it's Westray to Papa Westray if memory serves.

Where in New Zealand. i would usually recommend a trip round the highlands but our mountains and lochs are a bit shit compared to new zealand.

Blasphemy! But, seriously, they are still worth seeing regardless of where you are coming from.

If you're around Aberdeen Dunnottar Castle is certainly worth a visit. If you're driving, and don't mind a helluva trip, Eilean Donean worth visiting too.

Glasgow and Edinburgh both good city breaks on their own, spend 2-3 days in each.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Orkney.

As others have said, Scottish scenery is going to seem a bit low-budget compared to NZ. But the further north and further west you get it has a certain bleakness which is awesome. Right up to Sutherland / Cape Wrath; then you can take in the usual stuff - Glen Coe, Glenfinnan, Eilean Donan Castle on the way up, as wel as Torridon which is my personal favourite bit of the Highlands.

The other great castle is Dunottar, though unless you've any other reason for heading to Aberdeenshire it's a bit out the way from anything else.

I would say a west coast tour including Oban and the surrounding areas for a while then up north to Skye, Lewis and Harris after a couple of days exploring Edinburgh and Glasgow

I wish i had the time/money/vehicle to take a lady on a nice tour around Scotland in the summer anyway

I've shown folk about Fife, doing the tourist bit. Falkland Hill is a great place to take her up to and show where places are.

Dura Den which is off the back road to St Andrews, just along from the place that flooded, there's a wee waterfall. You nee. A car to get to it, but it's a beautiful wee spot.

I would take her to places that mean something to you as well as the tourist hot spots. Do remember what or where the happy places were, days out with the folks down the beach type of thing, I'm sure she will love them as much as you do.

There's touristy stuff in Fife? Two jakeys fighting over a tenner bag wouldn't be my idea of a touristy day out.

I'd normally do the "take her up the Trossachs" joke, but I seriously doubt that a Kiwi would be terribly impressed by a few hills and lochs.

Maybe a trip round the East End of Glasgow? Pretty sure she'll never have seen anything like it.

If you're going up the Trossachs take her to Killin to see the falls of Dochart to see the river that runs into the village. The more rain the more spectacular.

Archived