Guam

In what way can Andorra and San Marino "not really be classed as countries"? They're in the UN.

That's a pretty dodgy road for any Scot to go down, bearing in mind that none of the Home Nations are countries.

Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland are all countries. Google them if you don't believe me

However saying San Marino and Andorra aren't is also speaking shite

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's next? The Vatican? Monaco?, at least they have one decent club side!

Some football is played in/by the Vatican City - there was a thread about it in the Miscellaneous Football sub-forum - but clearly that wouldn't work.

It does genuinely surprise me that Monaco haven't joined though. Sovereign state, already have a domestic league, and AS Monaco's stadium. Surely they couldn't be much worse than Andorra/San Marino/Gibraltar/etc.

A few years ago Hibs had a defender called Torben Joneleit on loan from AS Monaco, he was Monegasque but actually good enough to get a German U21 cap (presumably through his parentage), and there's currently a lad at Nice.

Maybe there just isn't enough interest within Monaco.

If you want a very round-about way of measuring this, btw, the Scottish Juniors select team play the Isle of Man in the Quadrangular Tournament (alongside the Northern Irish intermediates and the Republican Irish juniors IIRC) but the Isle of Man also sometimes play in the Island Games or friendlies against micro-states or non-FIFA territories. However is the Quadranglar Tournament their full XI, or just domestic-based players?

Some digging on Wikipedia reveals they also have a left-back in Serie A with Cesena, and a lad who played over 100 games in the Belgian top level:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Renzetti

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophiane_Baghdad

Certainly you imagine a team with the likes of Joneleit, Hateley, this young lad Oliver Boscagli and so on would fare OK.

Most of the others have few professionals, nevermind at good levels. Gibraltar now only have 2, at Bristol Rovers and Scunthorpe.

Perhaps it is a pride thing. Monaco is an 'elite' country but their national team would be beaten most of the time.

Monaco does have a team. The only results I can see against a member of UEFA were a 4-0 loss and a 2-2 draw, both against Gibraltar. That suggests they wouldn't be much cup but not sure if that was was a full strength team or just amateurs.

I think I read somewhere that the reason Monaco haven't applied to join UEFA/FIFA is because they were worried it would threaten Monaco's place in the French League.

^pretty much it. The French clubs are already a bit pissed at Monaco for having an unfair advantage regarding their tax levels. If a UEFA member popped up they'd likely deny them access to Europe via the French League leading to an FC Vadus scenario.

They do have a domestic league tho'

Actually, the thread popping up about the Quadrangular tournament next year reminded me of the fact that it's the Isle of Man (non-FIFA) national team that compete in that, albeit against a select of our best Junior players as opposed to a top club.

I imagine they're probably on a par with some of the smaller FIFA-affiliated islands in the Pacific - they certainly have a much longer tradition of playing football - Junior Scotland more often than not beats them by a couple of clear goals.

Attaining UEFA/FIFA membership gives them a lot more money to invest in infrastructure, coaches, etc. Also exposure to money through TV, sponsorship, gives the clubs on the island chance to grow etc... Using a nation's non-FIFA results isn't that good a barometer for how good they'd be a decade or two down the line

Archived