Premier League 2015-16

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like the Shelvey deal I think it's a good signing for them to get them to mid-table obscurity. It's hard for Newcastle to attract decent players given the money that traditionally smaller clubs now have - Leicester, Southampton, Crystal Palace etc - due to gate receipts not being as important as they once where. Getting players to move up to the north-east for a yearly relegation battle is not an easy sell.

Just like the Shelvey deal I think it's a good signing for them to get them to mid-table obscurity. It's hard for Newcastle to attract decent players given the money that traditionally smaller clubs now have - Leicester, Southampton, Crystal Palace etc - due to gate receipts not being as important as they once where. Getting players to move up to the north-east for a yearly relegation battle is not an easy sell.

What's them being in the North East got to do with anything? Only an hour flight from London and Newcastle is a nice city.

What's them being in the North East got to do with anything? Only an hour flight from London and Newcastle is a nice city.

I love the North East but it's naive to think that players (especially foreign players) wouldn't prefer moving to just about any other part of England (especially London) instead of moving up there.

One of the consistent approaches of Governments of either side for the past half a century has been to boost the infrastructure and image of London, with scant regard to the rest of the country. Of course, there are lovely areas surrounding just about every major city, especially on a footballer's wage, but players (and their wives) are often obsessed with the idea of living in London.

Quite a lot I'd imagine. Newcastle missed out on Charlie Austin because he was never going to move north. Southampton's location helped them get a good deal there.

Oh, my Guido the Godfather has delivered 8)

Alberto Paloschi should provide plenty of penetration in the opposition box*

post-1545-1454103243827_thumb.jpg

Golazo!**

* anagram: A phallic booster

**apparently he is caught offside more often than Bafé Gomis which I thought would defy the fundamental laws of physics and time :(

Oh, my Guido the Godfather has delivered 8)

Alberto Paloschi should provide plenty of penetration in the opposition box*

attachicon.gif1454103242225.jpg

Golazo!**

* anagram: A phallic booster

**apparently he is caught offside more often than Bafé Gomis which I thought would defy the fundamental laws of physics and time :(

If he's constantly caught offside, he's learnt from the best Italian in the game at that. Mr Filippo Inzaghi.

If he's constantly caught offside, he's learnt from the best Italian in the game at that. Mr Filippo Inzaghi.

Inzaghi was playing on his debut for Milan now you mention it :(

Quite a lot, as others have mentioned. An hour flight isn't just an hours flight though is it, it's at least another hour at either end of waiting about and just the general inconvenience of it. Obviously on a footballer's wage the part of the north-east that they would be living in would be lovely, but players and their wives seem to want to stay in the south due to the obsession with London, or more recently Manchester given it's growth in status. A few former managers of 'boro, Sunderland and Newcastle have stated this.

My overall point was that Newcastle's lawn is now being mown by traditionally much smaller clubs, which means when people think the likes of Shelvey and Townsend are poor signings they have to be realistic and think what type of player is going to sign for them at the moment that is actually any good? They need players to stabilise them as a mid-table club again - which players like Shelvey and Townsend will do - and then they can go from there.

Newcastle table £21,000,000 for Berahino? Crazy.

And it's been knocked back. West Brom are taking a massive risk if they think they can get more than that. He's barely even getting a game atm.

Archived