Kilmarnock v Dundee opening day.

So where we having this Football Factory style battle royale?

There's a wee park with an old folks home in it near the ground.

I'm sure they will enjoy watching.

Lee McCulloch will be in amongst us.

Jig will be flinging elbows like a mad man.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dens and tannadive are literally surrounded by small, traditional boozers, Frews being a particular highlight. Within a 5 minute walk I can name at least 6 - Frews, bowser, troll inn, ambassador, clep, maltman. You aren't gonna take the Mrs on a date in any of those places but it is a pre match booze up you're after?

What's the place that charges you to get in? Then you get in and it's just an old man's pub with pool tables, darts and loads of jakeballs giving you the evil eye. Pfft!

What's the place that charges you to get in? Then you get in and it's just an old man's pub with pool tables, darts and loads of jakeballs giving you the evil eye. Pfft!

Sounds like Riley's / rack and cue which is in fact evidence you are doing it wrong.

If not there then possibly the Fairmuir clubbie but I won't have a bad word said about it and you make your £1 entry back on your first pint pretty much.

Sounds like Riley's / rack and cue which is in fact evidence you are doing it wrong.

If not there then possibly the Fairmuir clubbie but I won't have a bad word said about it and you make your £1 entry back on your first pint pretty much.

Just round the corner from the ground. You can see Tannadice from the front door. It was alright for a cheap pre-game pint but pales in comparison to Fannies or the Brass & Granite at our place.

Miles better than the sh**holes we end up going to at Partick, Motherwell or Hamilton though. Nae beer near McDermid or ICT. Wouldn't risk my life near Celtic Park so you do probably have one of the best away day experiences pub wise.

Just round the corner from the ground. You can see Tannadice from the front door. It was alright for a cheap pre-game pint but pales in comparison to Fannies or the Brass & Granite at our place.

Miles better than the sh**holes we end up going to at Partick, Motherwell or Hamilton though. Nae beer near McDermid or ICT. Wouldn't risk my life near Celtic Park so you do probably have one of the best away day experiences pub wise.

Maybe the Troll then - I've never been in there myself - see it as more of a Utd boozer.

All the pubs around Dens and Tannadice are pretty traditional and old manny, ranging from the low lifes in the Ambassador to a pub that gets it just right with Frews - best boozer near the ground on a matchday and I'd recommend it. Like I said though you are only 5 minutes on a bus or a cheap taxi ride away from Dundee city centre with the beer garden at Laings, the absolutely superb Phoenix (2 mins from train station) etc.

I've never tried it but I reckon you could walk from the train station to Dens over the course of a few hours, stopping in every pub you come to (some better than others tbf) and be completely fucking rat arsed and a good bit leaner thanks to the Hilltown. You wouldn't go more than 5 mins outside a pub most likely. For the real hardened drinkers you may want to detour up the Perth road and get into Mennies as soon as it opens and start from there but you would be unlikely to make the game.

Someone needs to create a map for away fans IMO.

I'm thinking - Club bar (dive), Trades (classic), #cheekynandos for lunch, Old Bank Bar (old manny), BrewDog (modern, craft beer), Ladywell Tavern (:D), Cookies (Pretty Rough) , Shakeys (is it still called Shakespeares? Generic old manny), Bowser (no bad boozer IMO) , Halleys (never been - looks rough) Yorkes butcher for a steak peh.

At this point you can see Dens and have 2 options

1 - Maltman (dive) then ground

2 - Time allows it so you carry on - Ladbrokes for the coupon, The Barrels (decent boozer), Athletic bar (never been - generic Hilltown pub), Frews

At this point you will probably want to head to the ground tbf......

If not you can carry on up to Whities which is heading away from Dens then go "Walking down the Provie Road" to the ground.

Kicks the arse out your 2 or 3 boozers then the game tbh.

Having a morrisons and being close to Glasgow being indicative of a good away day is a bit desperate tbh.

Dens and tannadive are literally surrounded by small, traditional boozers, Frews being a particular highlight. Within a 5 minute walk I can name at least 6 - Frews, bowser, troll inn, ambassador, clep, maltman. You aren't gonna take the Mrs on a date in any of those places but it is a pre match booze up you're after?

If you want a more upmarket place you are a 15 minute walk from Dundee city centre (5 min bus journey) and all of the pubs it has to offer.

Quite frankly if you don't have a good day on the piss in Dundee you are doing it wrong.

I like Dundee for a day out, it's normally the Snug we drink in.

I just said that there's plenty of traditional pubs within 10 mins (max) walking distance of the away end at RP.

I normally leave the pub at 2.55pm and am in my seat for KO.

I like Dundee for a day out, it's normally the Snug we drink in.

I just said that there's plenty of traditional pubs within 10 mins (max) walking distance of the away end at RP.

I normally leave the pub at 2.55pm and am in my seat for KO.

I look forward to sampling the boozers for this match in that case. Previous trips I have been on a bus and only ever been in the hotel near the ground. We usually stop at a different hotel a fair bit away to get mad wae it and I was led to believe that was down to the lack of hostelries in the vicinity of RP.

I am on the train this time though so will get to your recommended places.

I would like you to be the test case for my pub crawl. I accept no liability for any injury you may incur in any of the hilltown boozers.

I look forward to sampling the boozers for this match in that case. Previous trips I have been on a bus and only ever been in the hotel near the ground. We usually stop at a different hotel a fair bit away to get mad wae it and I was led to believe that was down to the lack of hostelries in the vicinity of RP.

I would like you to be the test case for my pub crawl. I accept no liability for any injury you may incur in any of the hilltown boozers.

There's a Wetherspoons about a 3 minute walk from Killie train station.

I know the pints are always luke warm but relatively cheap.

As stated before Fannys is a good place to start.

Real old school boozer. Massive round bar and a decent rock n roll jukebox.

From there I would go to the Brass and Granite.

Wee bit more expensive than most other Killie boozers but a good atmosphere, plenty of seating, pool table and the bar staff are top notch.

I genuinely think The Portman is an absolute shitehole but I may be in the minority by saying that.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/AYR/A0246/brass-granite-kilmarnock (Brass and granite)

http://portmannhotel.co.uk/ (Portmann, Massive beer garden)

http://www.yell.com/biz/mack-s-bar-kilmarnock-902016/ (Macks Bar)

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/48028/ (Fanny By Gaslight, right next to train station)

http://www.thetacketybit.co.uk/ (Next to Fanny's)

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/20/20140/Clansman/Kilmarnock (Clansman)

You'll walk by all those pubs (and more) on the 10 min walk from train station to the away end.

Closest to away end is the Portmann, where I drink before games.

I was only naming the pubs he'd pass!

I'm not really a fan of teh Tackety Bit to be fair, was pretty dissapointed with how it turned out. I liked Jollys/braehead when they had it.

What was Jolly's has reopened, with pints for £1.60. It is Carlsberg though :yucky

So where we having this Football Factory style battle royale?

There's a wee park with an old folks home in it near the ground.

I'm sure they will enjoy watching.

Lee McCulloch will be in amongst us.

Jig will be flinging elbows like a mad man.

It's taking place at Dean Castle Country Park at 2pm. Gowser leading the Dees. Marvin leading Killie.

It's taking place at Dean Castle Country Park at 2pm. Gowser leading the Dees. Marvin leading Killie.

Why would he lead a group of fans from the team he doesn't support? :P

These Scheme jokes would be better if anyone from the show actually supported someone other than Rangers or Celtic :lol:

Marvin Baird would f**k the lot of you himself.

He doesn't feel pain.

Up for 4 days on the blues.

I'm not really a fan of teh Tackety Bit to be fair, was pretty dissapointed with how it turned out. I liked Jollys/braehead when they had it.

Is Tackety Bit a Celtic pub? Seemed that way. Haven't been back a second time to test my theory. The Howard is a good pub but completely the other side of RP. Handy if you park near the old Safeway though.

Archived