Kilmarnock v Dundee opening day.

Is Tackety Bit a Celtic pub? Seemed that way. Haven't been back a second time to test my theory. The Howard is a good pub but completely the other side of RP. Handy if you park near the old Safeway though.

Only ever been in once myself.

Didn't get supported team vibe, just full of jakey black b*stards.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would he lead a group of fans from the team he doesn't support? :P

These Scheme jokes would be better if anyone from the show actually supported someone other than Rangers or Celtic :lol:

Fair enough. Billy Bowie can lead the charge. You can get those monster trucks tae f**k.

Is Tackety Bit a Celtic pub? Seemed that way. Haven't been back a second time to test my theory. The Howard is a good pub but completely the other side of RP. Handy if you park near the old Safeway though.

I wouldn't say a Celtic pub, I know a fair few Killie fans who drink in there.

Definately more Celtic than Rangers though!

^^^ Reported for not understanding Ayrshire idiom.

It's a phrase which doesn't travel well outside Ayrshire TBF. I shouted it at Ryan Stevenson whilst he was at Hearts and the looks I got were horrific. Took me a while to realise that it doesn't mean filthy or Ayr fan outside of Ayrshire but has different connotations and they probably thought I was shouting at Nade or someone! :eek:

It's a phrase which doesn't travel well outside Ayrshire TBF. I shouted it at Ryan Stevenson whilst he was at Hearts and the looks I got were horrific. Took me a while to realise that it doesn't mean filthy or Ayr fan outside of Ayrshire but has different connotations and they probably thought I was shouting at Nade or someone! :eek:

FTFY

Yeah, culture, local colloquialism or whatever, it's probably a good idea to cease using the word 'black' in a negative way. Add that to the classic 'up to our knees in Ayr blood' song bin.

But Ayr play in black. Should they change that? Are Man U allowed to keep calling themselves Red Devils? I need a list of offensive colours please. :unsure:

^^^ Reported for not understanding Ayrshire idiom.

You're on our turf, respect our culchur.

I have a brother in law from Irvine who called me a "blacko" when I ate a burger I dropped onto the grass at a bbq. I had a pretty good tan at the time so thought it was some kind of strange, unprompted reference to that.

It was only when he called me it months later that I pulled him up on it and got the true meaning.

It doesn't travel well verbally but looks even worse written down haha.

Would you call a black footballer, who plays for Ayr, a black b*****d?

I see what you did there. You are like a ninja with your wisdom. Collectively, anyone who plays for or supports those manky bar stewards qualifies.

When 18,000, (ish), Killie fans were singing 'black and white b**tards' at the Ayr cup semi it was somehow acceptable and I honestly couldn't tell you the colour of their skin. (I wonder if the white players thought we were talking about them?)

However, in saying all this, I'm not defending the phrase but merely pointing out that as far as it's etymology is concerned it has perfectly acceptable connotations. I haven't used that phrase out loud to a player since the Ryan Stevenson incident as it's not my opinion that matters but other people's perception of what we are saying that matters and it's best, where appropriate (and your example would be one), not to use it on occasions.

I have a brother in law from Irvine who called me a "blacko" when I ate a burger I dropped onto the grass at a bbq. I had a pretty good tan at the time so thought it was some kind of strange, unprompted reference to that.

It was only when he called me it months later that I pulled him up on it and got the true meaning.

It doesn't travel well verbally but looks even worse written down haha.

To all those wondering the true history of the phrase, (outside of Ayr playing in black), it is from mining where you would be black mockit, (dirty), when you came out of the pits. Ayrshire was a big mining community.

Every day is a school day.

If you lads are singing bad things about blacks and we are calling Arabs everything under the sun I really hope there aren't any UEFA observers at the game. :shutup

If you lads are singing bad things about blacks and we are calling Arabs everything under the sun I really hope there aren't any UEFA observers at the game. :shutup

My previous job was with TAQA Bratani (Abu Dhabi oil company) had to be extremely careful with my football chat tbh.

Archived