21's that have stepped up

Cambusglen Celt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last 2 or 3 years has seen some very strong 21s teams ie campsie blackwatch, harmony row, tower of hearts, rutherglen, knightswood and goldenhill to name but a few; so I was wondering if many had stepped up to junior and where others have ended up?

Clydebank have signed 4 of the harmony row team from last season and 1 from the golden hill team

Loads of the former Glencairn u21s are now playing junior at various clubs. Three are currently still at the club (Andy Neil, Jonny Boal, Adam Shaw). Del Esplin and Ross McNeill are now at Cumnock. Jordan Dalzell and Callum McRobbie are at Shettleston. Mark McCarry played last season with Bellshill after a couple of seasons with Glencairn 1st team. George Moore played a couple of seasons at junior for Glencairn before stepping down to amateur because of work. Willie McCulloch also made the step up to junior, but I'm not sure where he is just now.

Loads of the former Glencairn u21s are now playing junior at various clubs. Three are currently still at the club (Andy Neil, Jonny Boal, Adam Shaw). Del Esplin and Ross McNeill are now at Cumnock. Jordan Dalzell and Callum McRobbie are at Shettleston. Mark McCarry played last season with Bellshill after a couple of seasons with Glencairn 1st team. George Moore played a couple of seasons at junior for Glencairn before stepping down to amateur because of work. Willie McCulloch also made the step up to junior, but I'm not sure where he is just now.

Aye that team have done well. Kieran Chalmers, David Shaw and Robert O'Donnell all went Junior too. Willie was a great player wonder where he ended up. Do you think any of the 21s from this year can make the step up?

A few boys from Drumchapel 21s a couple of years ago stepped up to juniors and done alright for themselves.

Ian Gold, Danny Boyle, Kenny Marshall, Sean Pierce, Ryan Tiffney to name a few.

Other guys I knew who played 21s the same time as me and went junior: Ryan Craig, Jamie Darroch, David McGarrigle, Martin McGowan.

We signed four or five under 21s two seasons ago and a couple more last season then brought in a young attacking player at the very end of last season from CBW who scored in our playoff game and looks the part.

Without a doubt our left back Danny McKenzie Who we got from knightswood two seasons ago has been the stand out, already 60 games under his belt at either super premier or super first, two player of year awards, one of the best players i have watched develop from under 21 football in all my years of watching junior football. Still got a bit to go before being finished article but heading for very good things in the future.

We signed four or five under 21s two seasons ago and a couple more last season then brought in a young attacking player at the very end of last season from CBW who scored in our playoff game and looks the part.

Without a doubt our left back Danny McKenzie Who we got from knightswood two seasons ago has been the stand out, already 60 games under his belt at either super premier or super first, two player of year awards, one of the best players i have watched develop from under 21 football in all my years of watching junior football. Still got a bit to go before being finished article but heading for very good things in the future.

Can't remember seeing that left back. Did he play in the cup final with the likes of Fraser Teem and Darren Miller?

I'm sure Aitken was a CBW striker too. And is it Jordan McGuire that you signed? He's a cracking player. Can't help thinking its the way forward for Junior teams to shop in this market and develop these players.

I think the quality of player from 21s football is decreasing every season. My friends son played with Harmony Row last season and I took in a few of their games throughout. Not to disrespect the boys but from what I seen I didn't think they where good enough to step up,including the boy Blackwood, especially to a team like Clydebank. Is he one of the four? Don't get me wrong it's just my opinion but on the other hand it is good to see that junior clubs are giving these boys a chance.

Can't remember seeing that left back. Did he play in the cup final with the likes of Fraser Teem and Darren Miller?

I'm sure Aitken was a CBW striker too. And is it Jordan McGuire that you signed? He's a cracking player. Can't help thinking its the way forward for Junior teams to shop in this market and develop these players.

Yes we have Steven Aitken , Jordan MGuire signed both from CBW young guy Chris Duff we didn't get from Black Watch we got him from Campsie Minerva , he obviously chose to play with a strong amateur side .

Far as i know Danny McKenzie did play in that knightswood team along with fraser team , jamie hunter , those have both played for us as well , and darren miller .

Not sure the in's and out's of what happened to Knightswood but it's a crying shame they are no longer on the go , always a top team.Sure i read they were the most successful juvenile team in scotland since 2000 winning 24 trophies.

Is the boy from Goldenhill a striker? I watched Goldenhill play in a cup final not last season but the season before. They had a small striker who stole the show and was a clear stand out. Fast, good finisher and didn't take any crap. If it's the same boy then I think Clydebank have got a very good player!

I think the quality of player from 21s football is decreasing every season. My friends son played with Harmony Row last season and I took in a few of their games throughout. Not to disrespect the boys but from what I seen I didn't think they where good enough to step up,including the boy Blackwood, especially to a team like Clydebank. Is he one of the four? Don't get me wrong it's just my opinion but on the other hand it is good to see that junior clubs are giving these boys a chance.

It is a strange league as there can be 3 years between players. I'm sure successful teams can lose all their older players at one time and then struggle next year building a whole new team. It might be decreasing or it could just be 18/19 year olds getting to grips with it. Did Harmony Row lose a lot of players this year after a successful season mate?

Think thats a bit harsh mate.

In the last 2 or 3 seasons these players who have came from and proved to be good players at premier juniors level or super 1st.

Jamie Darroch CBW

Dany McKenzie Knightswood

Darren Miller knightswood

Del Esplin rutherglen

Ross McNeil rutherglen

guys at bankies from knightswood , Tommy Martin , Ross McPherson,

McGlinchey goldenhill

That's just off the top of my head . point is some right good players do still come through this route obviously you will get a good few who just won't make it but that has always been the case.

Nearly 4/5 years ago Hillwood Bc won the Scottish Cup and had a hell of a side. Clydebank took near enough their full squad. Harmony Row have a fantastic set up and will be rebuilding again but they will attract good players for that level and no doubt be challenging again. I think they lost 7/8 , to clubs and age but I could be wrong.

Yeah probably being a bit harsh mate not meaning to disrespect the boys because one thing that can be guaranteed is that they will have the right attitude coming into pre season and will be very eager to impress.

Hopefully in a few seasons when they have matured and grown into junior football, we will be talking about how successful they lads have been!

Yeah probably being a bit harsh mate not meaning to disrespect the boys because one thing that can be guaranteed is that they will have the right attitude coming into pre season and will be very eager to impress.

Hopefully in a few seasons when they have matured and grown into junior football, we will be talking about how successful they lads have been!

Let's face it at 19/20/21 you should have the hunger desire all that , should have a good attitude as well stepping up to the juniors in particular super league level as you are going to take a knock or two both physically and mentally all about bouncing back.

Boy McKenzie at the Roy excellent example has had his tough spells in premier in his first season and second season in super first but has kept working hard , good attitude and his game as improved massively with a consistency to go with it.

Lots of good players in the 21s what many of them need is time and a good manager to get the best out of them in junior football.

Interesting..... I remember a couple of the real good 21s sides from years gone by. Think these lads all played together at Harmony Row:

Ross Barr - Benburb

Paul Woods - Queens Park

Craig Palmer - Arthurlie

James Brown - Petershill

Chris Zok - Glencairn

Grant Anderson - Raith Rovers

Chris Seenan - was at Neilston, think in london now.

Willie Sawyers - Rob Roy

Robert Kerr - Talbot

Kenny Jarvis - Rob Roy

Archived