21's that have stepped up

Cambusglen Celt

That's a bit unfair , the management bit, check the leagues in the west a good few have taken on young managers (Ok most have a junior background), in some cases first time managers like my own team have.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do coaches/managers need experience at junior level to get a chance? It's that junior snobbery again looking down on the Youth/Amateur game when a lot of these clubs would put most of your District Level Junior Clubs to shame in terms of how well run they are and the quality of their players etc.

Michael was involved in U21s football for the best part of 10-15 years, the wealth of players he's worked with and contacts he has amassed is superb. Players love playing for him as his man management skills are second to none at that level.

There's tons of players spread through the junior game he's worked with before that would work with him again in a minute. If he got the Ashfield job when he was quoted for it, they wouldn't have plummeted down the leagues like they have done.

Over the last few years I have seen various threads that talk about the 21’s and specifically what happened with Knightswood.

Knightswood where thee most successful side in providing junior football with talented players from under 21's over the last 15- 20 years.

Some went to the top and other played out a career making a decent name for themselves at their respective club(s).

The year that Knightswood folded I have read on here many variations and here is the truth from someone that was as close to the management as can be.

That particular year the WoS 21's had three teams that were exceptional and in my opinion probably are the best teams that the league will see for some time. Knightswood, CBW & Glencairn had probably their best teams for a number of years and they were all competing against each other in that one season. The exact same thing happened to the Hillwood team that beat Knightswood on penalties in Scottish. Management left and U21s folded

To name a few that have went onto junior from that particular Knightswood team:

GK, Mark Crawford (Glencairn), Fraser Barbour (Ashfield), Marc Russell* (Clydebank, Glencairn), Reece MacGillion (Shettleston), Danny McKenzie(PPOTY @ Kwood)(Rob Roy), Craig McCready(Clydebank, Rossvale), Jamie Hunter (Rob Roy), Kenny Marshall (Shettleston), Gav Stokes (Irvine Meadow), Darren Miller (POTY @ Kwood)(Albion Rovers, Medda, Queens Park, Dumbarton), Fraser Team (Rob Roy, Rossvale), Jamie Boyle (Dalry).

Apologies if I may have missed anyone from that team, but basically these boys played every competition they competed in 5 cups,right through to at least the semi-final stage and league.

Why Knightswood are no longer is a lot simpler than a lot of the stories that go about, basically these players had a bond with their manager in Mick Pender. He was always finishing at the end of the season and when these boys realised it they knew that this team had ended. There was still a nucleus of 13/14 players from that squad that had at least another year left at 21’s so that dispels that myth that they were all too old.

Mr Hague had taken Knightswood for 39 years and had done more than most can ever dream about in football terms. This team separating and then trying to rebuild was just a step to far for Mr Hague.

Knightswood was a phenomenon that will never ever been seen again at 21’s!

I wish all that are still involved at this level all the best as I know what effort and commitment it takes to produce good teams at this level.

Hopefully this puts an end to the rumours of what happened and what didn’t happen with Knightswood.

All good things must come to an end!...

Why do coaches/managers need experience at junior level to get a chance? It's that junior snobbery again looking down on the Youth/Amateur game when a lot of these clubs would put most of your District Level Junior Clubs to shame in terms of how well run they are and the quality of their players etc.

Michael was involved in U21s football for the best part of 10-15 years, the wealth of players he's worked with and contacts he has amassed is superb. Players love playing for him as his man management skills are second to none at that level.

There's tons of players spread through the junior game he's worked with before that would work with him again in a minute. If he got the Ashfield job when he was quoted for it, they wouldn't have plummeted down the leagues like they have

done.

Wouldn't say it's a snobbery thing but probably that clubs will be more attracted to guys that they know within the junior game when appointing a new manager .

I'm with you in terms of most of what your saying but it's probably comparable to when a senior job comes along and club chairmen would rather go with the usual senior managerial merry go round like Paul hegarty , Jimmy bone, Jim Duffy , the daft bloke dick Campbell , Alex smith etc rather than touch an excellent up and coming junior manager.

Maybe it's a touch elitist or maybe just too much of a gamble for some to appoint from a lower level but I'm with you in most of what you say.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril COTM

Wouldn't say it's a snobbery thing but probably that clubs will be more attracted to guys that they know within the junior game when appointing a new manager .

I'm with you in terms of most of what your saying but it's probably comparable to when a senior job comes along and club chairmen would rather go with the usual senior managerial merry go round like Paul hegarty , Jimmy bone, Jim Duffy , the daft bloke dick Campbell , Alex smith etc rather than touch an excellent up and coming junior manager.

Maybe it's a touch elitist or maybe just too much of a gamble for some to appoint from a lower level but I'm with you in most of what you say.

I can see where you are coming from but teams in the District Leagues especially, what do they have to lose really? Teams that have been in these Divisions for years and anytime they are promoted they are straight back down again.

St Rochs took a gamble on a young amateur manager last season and it's paid off big time for them with promotion and by all accounts the club seems to be buzzing again with a lot of local involvement at the club.

I can see where you are coming from but teams in the District Leagues especially, what do they have to lose really? Teams that have been in these Divisions for years and anytime they are promoted they are straight back down again.

St Rochs took a gamble on a young amateur manager last season and it's paid off big time for them with promotion and by all accounts the club seems to be buzzing again with a lot of local involvement at the club.

Agreed and when these guys are appointed the manager of a lower district league junior club then that club will benefit from the juvenile contacts that the guy brings as district clubs have very little If no money so it could be a no brainer, if the guy does really well then maybe the bigger junior clubs could come calling later on for his services.

Probably the best example of a junior boss going senior was back in the mid 90s when Allan maitland , Neil watt and Ronnie McDonald went from Maryhill juniors to Clyde then Hamilton and they took loads of top junior players with them like pat keogh, Brian smith, Ian spittal, Steve convery ,Allan grant , Ritchie mckusker & mark mcghlaughlin .

They were a big success and won a few promotions so it can work .

Any you guys got info on a Keiran Blackwood , Harmony row?? striker?

Scored in the Scottish Cup final and got injured in the process. Great attitude but I'm surprised to hear he's with Rob Roy. Don't think he's good enough for that level and I think he's too lightweight for the Super Prem. He's ex Campsie and Queens Park pro youth so must be a Paul Ronald connection.

• 3 weeks later...

Bloody hell! That's awful really is.

Got to Hope that maybe they can come back somehow in some form. Would of given my right bollock to have played with black watch back when i was that age.

I'm as surprised as you are RRG. I don't really have that much info. Don't know if they're closed permanently or maybe just this season due to numbers. Would be interesting to see what happens. I'd like to think they could continue at a different level. Or maybe Gerry Marley just feels he is too old now.

I'm as surprised as you are RRG. I don't really have that much info. Don't know if they're closed permanently or maybe just this season due to numbers. Would be interesting to see what happens. I'd like to think they could continue at a different level. Or maybe Gerry Marley just feels he is too old now.

Rutherglen Glencairn, Tower Hearts now the strong teams.

Surely to god a younger coach manager in the area could take over. They are last team i would of thought this would of happened to. Granted i am on outside.

The amount of players good notable ones they have produced at junior and senior level over years must be massive.

Mr Marley must be some age now, around 15 - 20 years ago when guys i grew up with were playing he was older man then.

Campsie black watch are going amateur? Keeping name history etc same people involved and going amateur?

Don't really get that the area has loads of good amateur sides in particular harestanes and minerva.

I know that when we played them end of last season with Bonnyton up there they were struggling we only had 13 lads and hammered them 6-0.And from winning league and Scottish in season 13/14 to last season there was a massive difference in the quality they had. Shame as one of the name always associated with 21's.

I know that when we played them end of last season with Bonnyton up there they were struggling we only had 13 lads and hammered them 6-0.And from winning league and Scottish in season 13/14 to last season there was a massive difference in the quality they had. Shame as one of the name always associated with 21's.

Campsie black watch are going amateur? Keeping name history etc same people involved and going amateur?

Don't really get that the area has loads of good amateur sides in particular harestanes and minerva.

Yes mate that's what I heard.

Same guys involved - Dif managing. Not sure if Gerry is still going to be involved.

I don't know what amateur setup they'll be joining it's too late for this season now so looking like next season and the plan is to recruit players from previous Campsie 21s sides from over the years.

They'll be a force at amateur level.

So many good amateur players in area with the good clubs in area. Must be finding it to difficult to recruit new under 21 players and have thought amateur football best bet.

Archived