William Hill Scottish Cup 2015-16 - Big Thread

Charging a supplement to sit is also common in the Highland League. I've never come across it in the Lowland/EOS leagues and only once or twice in the East/West Juniors (although in fairness covered seats are not too common in the Juniors). I don't think it happens at any clubs in SPFL any more - it used to at East Stirlingshire when they were still at Firs Park - although a few clubs run separate turnstiles for seating and terracing and charge more at the gate.

Although the sums in question at Talbot will not be significant - £200 for a full stand - will the away club receive half of the supplements?

I wouldn't have thought so as after all sitting in the stand is optional and not part of the entrance.

After all did Talbot get £2 from every programme sold?

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't have thought so as after all sitting in the stand is optional and not part of the entrance.

After all did Talbot get £2 from every programme sold?

I wouldn't have thought so either. It would be an obvious loophole at a bigger game though: e.g. when Berwick hosted Celtic in the Scottish a few years ago, I think the seated tickets were £2 more expensive than the terracing. If we had made them all the same price but said we were adding a £2 supplement for the seats (which we could keep for ourselves) we'd have made an extra £1,400 or so.

Anyway that's a tangent.

Something else interesting is that 4 clubs from Edinburgh... City, University, Spartans, LTHV... have made it through to R2. I'd guess that may be a record in recent times as usually there are only 4 entrants (the other being Civil Service Strollers: LTHV are qualifiers), and traditionally Uni and Strollers were not that good quality. Aberdeen and Dundee only have 2 teams left, while Glasgow will have 4 or 5 (depending on BSCG's replay).

The Cup shouldn't and won't be seeded but there needs to be a way of preventing ridiculously long journeys in the early rounds. For non league teams to travel from somewhere in Dumfriesshire or the Borders to somewhere well into the Highlands, or vice-versa is harsh especially if there's a replay too, which has happened in recent years I'm fairly sure.

The Cup shouldn't and won't be seeded but there needs to be a way of preventing ridiculously long journeys in the early rounds. For non league teams to travel from somewhere in Dumfriesshire or the Borders to somewhere well into the Highlands, or vice-versa is harsh especially if there's a replay too, which has happened in recent years I'm fairly sure.

It's only usually once a year ffs. Teams have to travel just as far in England and most of the world.

It's all part of the fun. We were up in Wick on Saturday what a trek but that's the magic of the cup.

It's only usually once a year ffs. Teams have to travel just as far in England and most of the world.

Are early English rounds not regionalised though ?

No saying regionalise it but I think it's far from finished article just now with junior cup winners north, East and west superleague Champions and now this season Scottish amateur Champions.What's next ?

I would have a set number of sides from LL and HFL in the 1st round proper after couple regional prelims.

Are early English rounds not regionalised though ? No saying regionalise it but I think it's far from finished article just now with junior cup winners north, East and west superleague Champions and now this season Scottish amateur Champions.What's next ? I would have a set number of sides from LL and HFL in the 1st round proper after couple regional prelims.

I disagree. I'd expand it if anything. Like I said it's usually just one or two trips a year, and is there not some SFA cash to subsidise the travel? Having one unseeded Cup competition open to all who want it should be the aim.

I disagree. I'd expand it if anything. Like I said it's usually just one or two trips a year, and is there not some SFA cash to subsidise the travel? Having one unseeded Cup competition open to all who want it should be the aim.

Aye ye could be right bud.

I'm just crabbit and still whacked from the helluva trek we done fri night when 2 buses broke doon :D

[shakes head at NB wanting to restore the Qualifying Cups...]

I think a chance to play teams from other leagues and travel to other parts of the country is a positive for players and supporters of lower-league and non-league clubs. Teams do get £2k prizemoney in R1 (increasing by the same amount in each subsequent round) plus half the gate, a separate payment for media rights, and a travel grant of up to £500, IIRC.

Various miserable journalists were 'why oh why'ing on Twitter about Nairn playing Selkirk and the like over the weekend.

As if having a national cup competition was some sort of folly.

As has already been said even us Juniors have a nationwide draw in our cup.

I admit liking regionalised football but also enjoy a wee away day in the cup as well.

Archived