Downfall.

dorlomin

I know a bit about WWII so the fact the Jodl and Keitel were utter utter c*nts comes as no surprise. But still its interesting to see that Downfall scene in English.

The whole movie is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG0IuSfZpp4

While a joke to most people, one of the most deeply moving films you will see. The contrast between the sacrifice of the soldiers and kids vs the delusion of the Nazi inner circle is heart breaking.

70 million died because of the fantasy of a madman.

Decent film but riddled with historical inaccuracies. I know more about WW2. 70 millions a very high estimate, cut 6 million from that because we all know the holocaust never happened.

Which one?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Foreign language war movies?

Yes, Downfall is worth the watch, although the scene when Frau Goebbels murders her own children is upsetting, not least of all because the eldest has realised what's going to happen to them. The 1993 version of Stalingrad is also worth the watch.

One to avoid is Warsaw '44. Although good as a general overview of what happened, there's too many "special effects moments" (slowmo two lovers kiss while bullets whizz by them, two shagging in what looks like a Prodigy video sequence) which jar.

If you get the chance to see Battle for Sevastopol (it was running on a number of TV channels over Christmas), do so. It's really the sad story of Lyudmila Pavlichenko - part of whose story was pinched for Enemy At The Gates - the most successful female sniper of all, who spawned an unlikely friendship with Eleanor Roosevelt, & who openly defied the NKVD in front of the entire American press to make one of the most important speeches of the war. Unlike other such movies, it doesn't make her into a heroine by any means, but shows she was as tainted by her experiences as millions of others not only by the war but by the Soviet system.

13 hours ago, Sooky said:

This, and Das Boot, are probably both in my top 10 favourite films.

Not sure Downfall would make my top 10, but watching Das Boot in a cinema was one of the most incredible movie experiences of my life.

Archived