John Peel

jester

From The Express.....

He later recounted how teenagers used to queue to offer themselves to the DJs. One of his “regulars” was a 13-year-old, although he tried to justify his behaviour by insisting that she looked older.

Eventually the presenter married a 15-year-old Texan girl before the US authorities took a dim view of his predatory antics and he fled home to the UK to make his name on BBC radio.

The late John Peel’s descriptions of his early days in radio – given in at least two interviews –

Always thought Pete Townsend got away with his accusations surprisingly easily.

The admission that he'd been abused as a child made a lot of folk feel pretty uneasy about criticising his dubious excuse.

You'd imagine that the police kept an eye on him. And, you never know, he might have been telling the truth. Hopefully he got into some proper organisations rather than going all Batman.

Only recently realised Tom Ravenscroft is John Peel's son. This is nothing to do with beasting, merely an observation. I quite like Tom 'Ravers' Ravenscroft.

No idea who he is, as I'm an old fart, but nice to see that he's apparently following in his father's footsteps.

With the championing new music thing, nothing else :wacko:

No idea who he is, as I'm an old fart, but nice to see that he's apparently following in his father's footsteps.

With the championing new music thing, nothing else :wacko:

Plenty of auld farts listen to 6 Music. He tends to fill in for DJs on hols or do obscure evening/weekend slots. Quite a funny, laid back guy. Plays plenty of good stuff - not quite as inaccessible as his old man.

• 2 weeks later...

In the mid 70's he wrote in an article for sounds magazine that he preferred his fans to dress as schoolgirls and he once held a schoolgirl of the year competition on his radio show.

Are you telling me that's normal?

In the mid 70's he wrote in an article for sounds magazine that he preferred his fans to dress as schoolgirls and he once held a schoolgirl of the year competition on his radio show.

Are you telling me that's normal?

In the mid-Seventies? Pretty much. Wouldn't have raised any eyebrows when I was a wean in the Eighties, I know that much. The whole "Sexy Schoolgirl" outfit is still pretty popular as fancy dress for lassies, and it's not because men find it morally reprehensible, that's for sure. Yon lassie Britney Spears formed a career around it.

So aye, pretty normal at the time, and not that unusual even now, from what I can see.

Archived