The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

For me, that's bullshit.  In today's game, where most teams will play two holding midfielders, he'd have excelled.  Even more than he did when he played.

No, he wouldn't. The two "holding" midfielders need to be dynamic. The "static" midfielders like him are almost redundant in the modern game. Maybe in Scotland he'd still have looked good, but Scott Brown, while worse on the ball, would be better for Scotland.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, he wouldn't. The two "holding" midfielders need to be dynamic. The "static" midfielders like him are almost redundant in the modern game. Maybe in Scotland he'd still have looked good, but Scott Brown, while worse on the ball, would be better for Scotland.

Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson are/were completely different players so for me that's comparing apples and oranges.

Maybe a Rangers fan could confirm, but was there not a couple of seasons where he chipped in with 20 goals a season?  Not bad for a "static" midfielder.

We'll certainly agree to disagree on the qualities of Barry Ferguson.  Was he world-class?  No.  He did well enough during his time with Birmingham, however, to be considered a success in England.  We haven't had many of those in the top flight down south in the last decade or so.  Barry Ferguson, at his peak, would stroll into the current Scotland side without a shadow of a doubt.  Ironically, he'd fit in very well alongside Scott Brown.  

Edited by Desp

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson are/were completely different players so for me that's comparing apples and oranges.

Maybe a Rangers fan could confirm, but was there not a couple of seasons where he chipped in with 20 goals a season?  Not bad for a "static" midfielder.

We'll certainly agree to disagree on the qualities of Barry Ferguson.  Was he world-class?  No.  He did well enough during his time with Birmingham, however, to be considered a success in England.  We haven't had many of those in the top flight down south in the last decade or so.  Barry Ferguson, at his peak, would stroll into the current Scotland side without a shadow of a doubt.  Ironically, he'd fit in very well alongside Scott Brown.  

Funnily enough my Rangers supporting pal was talking about that at the weekend, how Ferguson scored, I think he said was 18 goals in the one season, which is an impressive tally but when you take into consideration Ferguson was the Rangers penalty taker, you'll probably find that at least half the goals came from the spot.

Ferguson was a good player, it's daft to claim otherwise and I sometimes feel people judge his ability by their personal feelings on him but he was overrated.  He was no where near world-class and it's laughable to claim he was.

Potential to be a good or even maybe a great player, ruined by his incredible arrogance,stinking attitude and the fact that all of his 'achievements' in Scotland are meaningless. Cheats can never be great, jumped up wee nyaffs that shame themselves and their nation don't deserve so much attention.

Edited by williemillersmoustache

22 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

He was on the sport bit on the news as well, who gives a f**k about anything he has to say. A disgrace of a Scotland captain, fairly average player and a thick bigot c**t to boot. Obviously completely broke and desperate for any crumbs the BBC/media can throw him.

+1

1 hour ago, TheCelt67 said:

Funnily enough my Rangers supporting pal was talking about that at the weekend, how Ferguson scored, I think he said was 18 goals in the one season, which is an impressive tally but when you take into consideration Ferguson was the Rangers penalty taker, you'll probably find that at least half the goals came from the spot.

Ferguson was a good player, it's daft to claim otherwise and I sometimes feel people judge his ability by their personal feelings on him but he was overrated.  He was no where near world-class and it's laughable to claim he was.

He scored 18 in season 2002-3, 16 in the league and 2 in the big cup.  Half of his league goals were penalties.

I remember watching his international appearances and getting really frustrated with his square passing, especially when we were chasing the game.  That kind of thing might have worked for Italy or Spain but we didn't seem to have the ball-players elsewhere on the pitch to take advantage of the possession.

26 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Wasn't he one of the players who cried when Paul Le Guen apparently banned Monster Munch?

Him and Kris Boyd were the two names that spring to mind.

Think people look at this in too much black and white terms.

He was a very good player that never really fulfilled what he was capable of IMO.

My overriding memory of his latter years was that he preferred being the puffed out chest Rangers captain that had an air of arrogance about him than actually improving his game.

Don't get me wrong I think he was very good I just always thought that stood in his way.

4 hours ago, The DA said:

He scored 18 in season 2002-3, 16 in the league and 2 in the big cup.  Half of his league goals were penalties.

I remember watching his international appearances and getting really frustrated with his square passing, especially when we were chasing the game.  That kind of thing might have worked for Italy or Spain but we didn't seem to have the ball-players elsewhere on the pitch to take advantage of the possession.

10 goals from open play is a decent return from someone in Ferguson's position but I think I am right when I say that was a one off season goals wise.  I don't recall him reaching double figures any other time.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

He was a very good player that never really fulfilled what he was capable of IMO.

My overriding memory of his latter years was that he preferred being the puffed out chest Rangers captain that had an air of arrogance about him than actually improving his game.

Don't get me wrong I think he was very good I just always thought that stood in his way.

By the time he returned from Blackburn Rovers he was often playing through injuries. He was also getting smoke blown up his arse by the media so his positional sense went out the window. He was quite good again for a period under Walter Smith until the incident and he was a very solid player for Birmingham City.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was nothing of the sort. He was fortunate to play in an era where one dimensional midfielders were given free reign in teams. Stick him in a side today and he'd be lost.

You're talking pish. He was very comfortable in the EPL when he was past his best and had suffered some brutal injuries.

I strongly dislike his personality and general demeanour though.

My lasting memory of him was seeing him running to the tunnel whilst Amaruso tried to calm the orc hordes at Pittodrie January 2002

Shat it then but redeemed himself by donating money from his book to Jimmy Johnstone fund.
Possibly not a complete cnut

I'd agree he was moderately talented but his attitude and ego and ability to shaft managers he didn't like totally overshadow any talent he had. His  and some of his Rangers teammates actions and attitudes are exactly what has been holding back or dragging down the Scottish game in recent times.

I'd quite happily punch his puss and probably never tire of doing so.

4 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Bit of revisionism from the usually reliable Guardian Football Weekly when they were discussing England's match against Malta on Saturday. Apparently we were 'fortunate' to win over there and the red card changed the game.

It's maybe a bit hyperbolic, but there isn't that much wrong there.  We were turgid for most of it, and Malta seemed at least competitive until the ridiculous penalty decision and sending off.  After that they chucked it and it was easy.  

Saying we were fortunate is probably a bit much.  We deserved the win, but the scoreline flattered.

Edited by forameus

8 minutes ago, forameus said:

It's maybe a bit hyperbolic, but there isn't that much wrong there.  We were turgid for most of it, and Malta seemed at least competitive until the ridiculous penalty decision and sending off.  After that they chucked it and it was easy.  

Saying we were fortunate is probably a bit much.  We deserved the win, but the scoreline flattered.

That was point tbh. The sending off influenced the scoreline, not the result.