The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I had to listen to the Hibs game on Open All Mics. Chico spent a good five minutes claiming Lewis Stevenson's foul was "a yellow, aye, but never a red". The host even prompted him, "and you're sure there wasn't a yellow earlier in the game, making it a dismissal for a second yellow", to which Young's Fish Pie retorted "No. Definitely not". Only to correct himself five minutes later.

He also claimed that someone had told him there were 5,000 in the ground.

Just now, Gaz FFC said:

Yer kidding? Thought Hamilton were a family club :thumbsdown

They like to pretend they are. A similar Hamilton supporting family can get into McDiarmid for £16, and have been able to do so for about three season now. Would be nice if a club decided to reciprocate that 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

They like to pretend they are. A similar Hamilton supporting family can get into McDiarmid for £16, and have been able to do so for about three season now. Would be nice if a club decided to reciprocate that 

Poor show from Hamilton.

Well done St Johnstone also.

On ticket prices, I was speaking to Gary Warren in the pub a few Saturday nights ago, think it was after we beat St Johnstone, and told him exactly why me and my mates barely go to games anymore; we simply can't justify paying £22/£25 to get in then any other monies you may have to pay, 18/19 games a season, and that's of course not including cup games and say County/St Johnstone/Aberdeen away, the closest games.

He was actually agreeing and saying he can understand why our crowds are so shite, it's not worth it. We were getting crowds like we are now 20 years ago when we were in Division 2 paying £12 for the main stand and about £6 for the terracing.

Steady now. Your average attendances since inception have been:

1994-95 ... 1,276 ... (tier 4)
1995-96 ... 1,579 ... (tier 4)
1996-97 ... 2,495 ... (tier 4 - promoted)
1997-98 ... 1,762 ... (tier 3)
1998-99 ... 2,168 ... (tier 3 - promoted)
1999-00 ... 2,282 ... (tier 2)
2000-01 ... 2,133 ... (tier 2)
2001-02 ... 2,046 ... (tier 2)
2002-03 ... 2,182 ... (tier 2)
2003-04 ... 2,375 ... (tier 2 - promoted)
2004-05 ... 4,067
2005-06 ... 5,061
2006-07 ... 4,879
2007-08 ... 4,753
2008-09 ... 4,457 ... (relegated)
2009-10 ... 3,509 ... (tier 2 - promoted)
2010-11 ... 4,526
2011-12 ... 4,023
2012-13 ... 4,038
2013-14 ... 3,558
2014-15 ... 3,733
2015-16 ... 3,754
2016-17 ... 3,970 so far

Price progression:

(Telford Street)
1994-95 ... £5 seating, £4 standing
1995-96 ... £6 seating, £5 standing

(Caledonian Stadium)
1997-98 to 1998-99 ... £9 seating, £7 standing
1999-00 to 2003-04 ... £11 seating, £9 standing

(Pittodrie)
2004-05 ... £20-25 seating (family section: £12)

(Caledonian Stadium)
2005-06 ... £20-25 seating (family section: £15)

Those average attendances are skewed by having Celtic, Aberdeen and sometimes Rangers in the same league.  I'm talking about home fans.  We've had a core of about 2000 for as long as I can remember.

Those hike in prices backs up my point.  £25 to watch a game here is Ludacris.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

On ticket prices, I was speaking to Gary Warren in the pub a few Saturday nights ago, think it was after we beat St Johnstone, and told him exactly why me and my mates barely go to games anymore; we simply can't justify paying £22/£25 to get in then any other monies you may have to pay, 18/19 games a season, and that's of course not including cup games and say County/St Johnstone/Aberdeen away, the closest games.

He was actually agreeing and saying he can understand why our crowds are so shite, it's not worth it. We were getting crowds like we are now 20 years ago when we were in Division 2 paying £12 for the main stand and about £6 for the terracing.

Yep.  I'm quite happy to accept that football is a middle class sport, but until they start treating every single game as a one off event - i.e by not force feeding disgusting pies and soft drinks and crisps and have a decent variety of ancillary services, crowds will go down and quite rightly too.  Prices will never come down, but the experience has to be value for the ticket price.  And it clearly isn't, anywhere, in Scottish football.

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I had to listen to the Hibs game on Open All Mics. Chico spent a good five minutes claiming Lewis Stevenson's foul was "a yellow, aye, but never a red". The host even prompted him, "and you're sure there wasn't a yellow earlier in the game, making it a dismissal for a second yellow", to which Young's Fish Pie retorted "No. Definitely not". Only to correct himself five minutes later.

He also claimed that someone had told him there were 5,000 in the ground.

The ref very clearly displayed both cards at the time of the dismissal.  Similarly, there was no ambiguity attached to the first booking.

The man is simply a fool.

23 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

(Caledonian Stadium)
1997-98 to 1998-99 ... £9 seating, £7 standing
1999-00 to 2003-04 ... £11 seating, £9 standing

(Pittodrie)
2004-05 ... £20-25 seating (family section: £12)

Did it seriously jump more than double in one season?

According to the SFL Review.

Coincided with promotion, tbf.

48 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

According to the SFL Review.

Coincided with promotion, tbf.

A few quid, fair enough - doubling the price?

The old SFL review books were great. My local library had a huge selection of old reviews in there and I used to occasionally get one out to have a wee shifty at old squad lists and ponder stupid little details like why someone started off the season wearing the number 6 shirt then switched to a number 4 in November.

Farid El Alagui's late goal gave Dunfermline Athletic victory over manager-less St Mirren.

The Buddies, who parted with boss Alex Rae last week, led through John Sutton but Nicky Clark levelled.

A second from Sutton put the visitors ahead again until Andy Webster's own goal restored parity.

Clark put the Pars in front only for Ryan Hardie to equalise but El Alagui struck from long range to settle the match.

From the BBC, he scored from six yards out! It was on BBC Alba ffs

That's really far out for him

Aye, it's shocking. Shocking! We should expel Hamilton from the Premiership for having low home crowds, and St Johnstone for having a modest away support.

Of course if you suggested to Murray that the SPFL should have told BT to stick to the contract and show two League Cup R2 ties and two QF ties - avoiding the need to play a game on Thursday night, and therefore avoiding the need for today's game to be moved back 24hrs at a few weeks notice - he'd probably accuse you of "tail wagging the dog" or similar.

TBF credit to the Saints fans.

550 to Pittodrie on Thurs when our own fans couldntnget off their arses to attend.

Then almost another 500 down to Hamilton today.

Well done, impressive following.

I'm fortunate enough to have built-up the full set of SFL Reviews except for the first year, which is apparently particularly rare. When it was wound-up after the 2005-06 edition it really was a tragedy. Not only did it enable you to find almost any piece of information about the relevant season in a moment - it also acted (in some respects unwittingly!) as an archive for all kinds of information you couldn't find elsewhere.

For example anyone wanting to research club officials, monthly awards, attendances, admission prices, youth international lineups and so on after 2005 either has to do an arduous trawl, through multiple sources, or simply can't do it at all...

In terms of the more basic information, and player statistics, the slack has now been taken-up by the Scottish Football Almanac (commenced 2014-15) which also has comprehensive coverage of non-league football. Not the same depth though and still gap 2006 > 2014.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm fortunate enough to have built-up the full set of SFL Reviews except for the first year, which is apparently particularly rare. When it was wound-up after the 2005-06 edition it really was a tragedy. Not only did it enable you to find almost any piece of information about the relevant season in a moment - it also acted (in some respects unwittingly!) as an archive for all kinds of information you couldn't find elsewhere.

For example anyone wanting to research club officials, monthly awards, attendances, admission prices, youth international lineups and so on after 2005 either has to do an arduous trawl, through multiple sources, or simply can't do it at all...

In terms of the more basic information, and player statistics, the slack has now been taken-up by the Scottish Football Almanac (commenced 2014-15) which also has comprehensive coverage of non-league football. Not the same depth though and still gap 2006 > 2014.

Never knew it existed.

Thanks, It looks good

http://www.soccer-books.co.uk/acatalog/Scottish-Football-Almanac-2016-17-8913.html