The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Not aimed at a particular journalist, or even just in Scotland, but the term 'just about' is used incorrectly far too often. For me, 'just about' means it doesn't quite happen, but is often used when something 'just about' doesn't happen, when in fact it has.

EG Kenny Mcleans penalty at Dens a few weeks back - "Mclean can seal victory for Aberdeen here... And he just about does!" No, he definitely did, the ball went in. 

I only started noticing it a few weeks ago and now it really gets on my tits.

1 minute ago, dayman said:

Not aimed at a particular journalist, or even just in Scotland, but the term 'just about' is used incorrectly far too often. For me, 'just about' means it doesn't quite happen, but is often used when something 'just about' doesn't happen, when in fact it has.

EG Kenny Mcleans penalty at Dens a few weeks back - "Mclean can seal victory for Aberdeen here... And he just about does!" No, he definitely did, the ball went in. 

This has been going on for years now and like you it infuriates me.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

Bit of revisionism from the usually reliable Guardian Football Weekly when they were discussing England's match against Malta on Saturday. Apparently we were 'fortunate' to win over there and the red card changed the game.

I'm a massive fan of Football Weekly but it's much better when they totally ignore Scottish football.  Any time they comment on it, or even worse, get Ewan Murray on to comment on it, it comes across as massively condescending and they seem to revel in their ignorance of our game.

22 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Potential to be a good or even maybe a great player, ruined by his incredible arrogance,stinking attitude and the fact that all of his 'achievements' in Scotland are meaningless. Cheats can never be great, jumped up wee nyaffs that shame themselves and their nation don't deserve so much attention.

The bitterness absolutely dripping out this post is really quite something.

1 minute ago, Forfinn said:

I'm a massive fan of Football Weekly but it's much better when they totally ignore Scottish football.  Any time they comment on it, or even worse, get Ewan Murray on to comment on it, it comes across as massively condescending and they seem to revel in their ignorance of our game.

Yeah, totally agree. Thankfully it doesn't get mentioned too often.

1 hour ago, dayman said:

While I understand your general point, I'm not sure you've used the best example there.

The "just about does" in that scenario surely refers to the sealing of victory, rather than him scoring the goal (if those were the words that were used).  Being 3-1 up with a few minutes to go of course should get you the victory, and the chances of it not happening would be incredibly slim, but there's still a slight chance it wouldn't and Dundee could score two late, late goals.  Victory, in that or any game, wouldn't have been sealed until the full time whistle.  

31 minutes ago, Desp said:

While I understand your general point, I'm not sure you've used the best example there.

The "just about does" in that scenario surely refers to the sealing of victory, rather than him scoring the goal (if those were the words that were used).  Being 3-1 up with a few minutes to go of course should get you the victory, and the chances of it not happening would be incredibly slim, but there's still a slight chance it wouldn't and Dundee could score two late, late goals.  Victory, in that or any game, wouldn't have been sealed until the full time whistle.  

Fair point, mine was more about the scoring of the penalty and the fact the commentator implied scoring the penalty would win the game, and that he had 'just about' done that, when in fact it was an excellent penalty, the keeper had little chance. 

Commentators are constantly using it and it just sounds wrong, because it is,

Have heard,

Just about kept it out - When the goalkeeper clearly has kept it out, 

Just about crossed the line - When it clearly has gone for a corner,

and my favourite

The ref just about got it right - When the ref has made a good decision, they thought it was wrong, but on the replay they realise they are wrong but they would never admit it.

Edited by MEADOWXI

19 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Commentators are constantly using it and it just sounds wrong, because it is,

Have heard,

Just about kept it out - When the goalkeeper clearly has kept it out, 

also

Just about kept it in - when a player overhits a pass and his teammate reaches it anywhere within 5 yards of the byline

5 hours ago, dayman said:

Ironically in this case the use of 'just about' is actually accurate since the game hadn't finished and Aberdeen's victory hadn't been confirmed.

Thank f**k, an utter moron who spat out utter shite then fired abuse at anyone who ever tried to even ask where he got his information. Highlight was his tweet about "Ask me anything about your clubs transfer business", being retweeted by a Saints fan asking him if we're signing anyone, only be told "I don't know anything apart from Rangers and Celtic", someone laughed and got banned after a torrent of abuse.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Dunno if this has been covered elsewhere but Scotzine has decided to stop publishing his site - http://www.scotzine.com/2016/10/time-to-bid-adieu/

I'm blocked by him on Twitter but that really is a contorted seething mess of a statement. 

It's all about him, certainly.  It wouldn't have become nearly so bad if he hadn't responded to every single one of those "knuckle draggers" with threats of violence instead of just blocking them.