The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Yeah that's true. I'd say consistently Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are the most successful outwith the OF, but then one might argue that the vast majority of Aberdeen's successes came in one golden era.

As did hearts I the mid 50s to early 60s

20 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I support Scotland, watch all their games in person on TV and follow them in depth. I grew up a Hearts fan as a kid and still keep an eye out for how they're doing but don't actively support them any more or consider myself a Hearts fan but if you want to take that as my stake then you can do for the purpose of your argument, I don't mind.

Not sure your idea of 'in person' is the same as most other peoples'.

16 hours ago, Dubford don said:

As did hearts I the mid 50s to early 60s

Hearts won fewer than half of their major honours in the 50s and 60s. Only one of the club's 8 Scottish Cups were won in that era, for example. Outwith 1982-1990 Aberdeen have only won the Cup twice.

Not the biggest deal in the world, but let's at least try to be accurate here. Aberdeen won over 60% of their trophies from 1977-1990. The same is not true of Hearts in the 50s and 60s.

Happy to clear this up.

I think the whole idea that Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen under-achieve is over-done, to be honest. We're in an awkward spot between the OF who have the cash to batter us about and the slightly smaller clubs, whose budgets we don't dwarf by enough to consistently beat. Yet, we do win more trophies than they do and generally (over decades) do better in the league. Probably about where we should be, really.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Seriously, this discussion has got nothing whatever to do with how many trophies the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen have respectively won, or when these triumphs happened.

It's to do with how confidently or otherwise a broadcaster can claim that the top 5 finishing places in the league are currently predestined.

It's really not meant to be a place for Hearts fans to get weirdly defensive.  Get a grip Lads.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Seriously, this discussion has got nothing whatever to do with how many trophies the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen have respectively won, or when these triumphs happened.

It's to do with how confidently or otherwise a broadcaster can claim that the top 5 finishing places in the league are currently predestined.

It's really not meant to be a place for Hearts fans to get weirdly defensive.  Get a trip Lads.

No offence, mate, but in an open discussion board, the discussion is about whatever the people on the board want to talk about.

It's on-topic, it's civil, so, ignore it if you're not keen.

Happy to help.

18 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Yeah that's true. I'd say consistently Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are the most successful outwith the OF, but then one might argue that the vast majority of Aberdeen's successes came in one golden era.

Aye, I know, shouldn't count really, should it?

(So did Hearts - actually 2 eras 50 years apart.)

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

It's on-topic, it's civil, so, ignore it if you're not keen.

Weird advice.

Is it the same stuff you follow when the subject of Livingston comes up.

The point is that this thread is about examples of crap journalism.  One was duly cited, but 3 or 4 Hearts fans have chosen to instead take it in a direction of arguing about how much Hearts have won.  It's irrelevant and utterly bone headed.  

If you're not keen on what I'm saying, you'll obviously need to ignore it.

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

Just ignoring the 3 Scottish Cups between 1998-2012? In fact, only 1 of our 8 Scottish Cup wins came in the 1950's.

I regard 1980 to 86 as our glory period winning 10 of our 19 trophies then leaving 9 throughout the rest of our history.

Hearts won 7 of their 16 trophies in the terrible trio era again leaving 9 throughout the rest of their history. 

The only difference is that we won more in our era and hearts have had 30 extra season to win their other 9

5 minutes ago, Dubford don said:

I regard 1980 to 86 as our glory period winning 10 of our 19 trophies then leaving 9 throughout the rest of our history.

Hearts won 7 of their 16 trophies in the terrible trio era again leaving 9 throughout the rest of their history. 

The only difference is that we won more in our era and hearts have had 30 extra season to win their other 9

Does that include their Tennents Sixes?

42 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Considering they won the Scottish Cup in 1938, got to the Final in 1950 and won the League Cup three times post war it was that pesky Mr Hitler who stopped East Fife's glory period.

He probably took one look at Methil and thought "Gott in Himmel, somevun has blitzed ziss place already"

21 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why are Hearts fans like this?

Genuine question - like what?

I honestly see no particular qualitative difference in replies from Hearts fans and those of, say, Aberdeen or St Johnstone or Dundee or whoever.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, I know, shouldn't count really, should it?

(So did Hearts - actually 2 eras 50 years apart.)

Not what I said at all. Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have won a fair bit more than any other club in Scotland outside the OF, so have perhaps earned the right to be known as a big 5 with them. But my wording of 'consistently' being successful requires context as was pointed out earlier. Wasn't a knock at Aberdeen as the amount of trophies they've won in a more condensed period is impressive. But Aberdeen's honours list at present, ranges from 1947-2014, of which majority of them all came in the 70's and 80's. Hearts' ranges from 1891-2012, and Hibs' from 1887-2016. There aren't many clubs in Scottish football with such a broad date range, from their oldest to their most recent successes, therefore have consistently been successful throughout Scottish football history.

5 hours ago, Dubford don said:

You are correct about the majority, but the 3 Scottish Cups between 1998-2012 was a particularly impressive feat for its time. We also won 2 league titles and 4 Scottish Cups before the Titanic sank, so throughout the ages, we've been consistently a strong team. That's just of course silverware, which in Scottish football is generally rare. If we look at league placings, Hearts have never gone more than a few years without a top 3 finish save for a barren period between 1965 and 1986. As I said above, Aberdeen's trophy haul is impressive though considering the shorter time frame between successes.