Summer football?

Troon Portland

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw football in nov and expect a game tom. Oct,nov,dec,jan,feb and march is 6 months

There would be football in March & October. Go back & read it again.

Listen Douglas , this is basically all pie in the sky. Nothing will change , I've accepted that. I'm just trying to come up with a viable alternative to the humdrum we've endured for years & years.

It could work , in fact I'm convinced it would work , but it ain't gonna happen. People moan about how our level of football is 'outdated' , 'dying' , going nowhere etc but the minute someone comes up with an alternative format it gets ridiculed , dissected, swatted away etc.

I've got a few more suggestions about how to get junior football reversing the tide so to speak & improving our lot , but I'm sure everyone's had enough of my ramblings for one night.

I'll be at vale of leven tomorrow (weather permitting). I'll let you know how the game went unless you make a cameo appearance & make the effort to go yourself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did you not get the new ground floodlights & all built for you by the local council with grants from the lottery?

Yip, eight years of hard work with various grants funding it. Nothing stopping any club going down that road.

Quite right that getting public funding (Lottery and such) is no short term fix. Unfortunately many clubs say 'just give us the money'.

But 3G and squads of youngster is s not going to save junior football on their own.

We have fans of the junior game posting here who are involved and interested. But there are many others involved.

Beyond the committees and the keener fans there are other groups who will have a view on junior football.

The players. Often disregarded here. They are paid, so just do as you are told doesn't work any more. As the reality of the awfulness and poverty of senior football kicks in so part time football has the chance to make itself more attractive to players.

The fans without the passion. I was once told there is no need to advertise games as those who really care will know what games are on. Fine if you only want a few at the games.

The exs. The ex players, the ex fans who have drifted away. Why are they away?

The fans of senior clubs getting more unhappy with the 'product' on offer.

The media who have to fill newsprint. Do they have a view on change of season?

Families who would want to take their kids to a game but do not want to spend £100 for a Saturday afternoon, nor have to witness the anti social nature that is most senior games.

The 'floaters' who just want a good afternoon's entertainment. Or if in the summer a good evening's entertainment.

The officials. Can't believe any ref or linesman has ever enjoyed taking a game on lumpy pitches at places such as Harthill in February when the horizontal sleet is being blasted across the moor. I know that Harthill quite rightly isn't playing at present and the weather in June is little different but just an example.

Who have I missed?

I have read the arguments regarding holidays.smaller crowds at mid week games and rain in the summer months. Players take holidays in August,September and October, our biggest crowd last season was at a midweek game in early June (just over 600 Armadale v Broughty in play off game, there is less likely hood of losing 4 or 6 weeks in summer months and if any games are postponed they can be played in midweek instead of the farce we have of teams having to play 3 games a week at the end of season. The reality is that to continue as at present will kill Junior football.

Our biggest crowd of the season last night for a game in the middle of the middle of winter. Nothing to do with timing though and all to do with circumstances - same as Armadale v Broughty. Both games took place when no other junior or senior teams were playing, both had a tremendous amount at stake, both were of interest to neutrals who would have watched their own teams on a normal Saturday. If anyone can work out a way of having each junior game played when absolutely nobody else is playing (including other junior teams) that would be a fantastic solution. :)

Otherwise, you'd struggle to get a better atmosphere at s football match than we had last night. Winter fitba is great!!

Otherwise, you'd struggle to get a better atmosphere at s football match than we had last night. Winter fitba is great!!

I don't recall you saying that when the original game in Wick was called off 15 minutes before ko :P

If you want to play a game when no other games are on, try June :thumsup2

I don't recall you saying that when the original game in Wick was called off 15 minutes before ko :P

If you want to play a game when no other games are on, try June :thumsup2

Well quite but I maintain that clubs who can't deal with rain through the winter season may not fare much better through the summer. Obviously it won't be as drastic but we're reaching a point where clubs - particularly in the top leagues should be giving assurances about the quality of their drainage. I don't think its realistic to think you'd ever be able to wrap a season up in November. The demand on players to play midweek would be far greater through the summer than is the case now.

Well quite but I maintain that clubs who can't deal with rain through the winter season may not fare much better through the summer. Obviously it won't be as drastic but we're reaching a point where clubs - particularly in the top leagues should be giving assurances about the quality of their drainage. I don't think its realistic to think you'd ever be able to wrap a season up in November. The demand on players to play midweek would be far greater through the summer than is the case now.

As I have banged on about enough on this thread, we need clubs to have floodlights before we can do much of anything. A full summer season wont work anyway without the ability to play midweek games in September/October/November.

That should be the No.1 priority of the SJFA. Start by giving clubs 3 years notice that anyone who plays or wants to be in Superleague needs to have lights. Your opposition last night play in a league that has those requirements.

Archived