Remember this story?

Elixir

Removing Scottish independence from the solution, how do you propose Scotland can better control the crass mismanagement of our single biggest resource?

Spend less or raise taxes.

I'll go for spend less.

Lets start with

Trident

House of Lords

Crossrail

High Speed Rail

Foreign Wars

How do you suppose 95% of Scotlands MP's and the democratically elected majority Scottish government go about this, again removing Scottish Independence from the possible solution?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go for spend less.

Lets start with

Trident

House of Lords

Crossrail

High Speed Rail

Foreign Wars

How do you suppose 95% of Scotlands MP's and the democratically elected majority Scottish government go about this, again removing Scottish Independence from the possible solution?

Don't forget our population share of all the fancy new carriers and frigates that will never, in a million years, be based in Scotland. Not one.

Oh and have we paid over our share of upgrading London's sewers ? Only another few hundred million.

I'm still waiting on England paying it's population share of The Forth Bridge and the Commonwealth Games. You never know :lol:

Uh huh.

And the only way this works is if you hike taxes or slash spending.

Neither if which is a vote winner. And neither of which the Nats will be doing either.

Investment in capital expenditure grows the economy thus increasing tax take without increasing tax rates or cuts in spending.

Unionists really are fucking simple when it comes to basic economics.

Don't forget our population share of all the fancy new carriers and frigates that will never, in a million years, be based in Scotland. Not one.

Oh and have we paid over our share of upgrading London's sewers ? Only another few hundred million.

I'm still waiting on England paying it's population share of The Forth Bridge and the Commonwealth Games. You never know :lol:

Good points.

They could maybe contribute towards other "strategic" improvements such as the completion of the M74 motorway which connects our biggest city with England, and finally completing the motorway between our two biggest cities.

The amount of key infrastructure upgrades that should've been built a generation ago are finally being constructed thanks to the only show in town.

Just imagine if we had full control over all our resource what we could achieve...

Good points.

They could maybe contribute towards other "strategic" improvements such as the completion of the M74 motorway which connects our biggest city with England, and finally completing the motorway between our two biggest cities.

The amount of key infrastructure upgrades that should've been built a generation ago are finally being constructed thanks to the only show in town.

Just imagine if we had full control over all our resource what we could achieve...

I have no doubt that if we knew exactly how much money Scotland generates it would be a yes landslide.

I'll go for spend less.

Lets start with

Trident

House of Lords

Crossrail

High Speed Rail

Foreign Wars

Well your original premise was idiotic to be honest and didn't deserve a response. I was being kind to you .

Oil reserves are, as with for example the riches of the City of London, just something thrown into the giant UK economic powerhouse. They aren't that vital to a country of the size of the UK.

People in Scotland and the UK in general have no appetite for the type of taxation system employed by countries like Norway that have an oil fund.

Its not an Indy issue because its the same every government faces.

No Scottish government is going to last beyond a term that tells punters to pay for hoarding oil money we need to either hike up taxes, slash spending or both.

Well your original premise was idiotic to be honest and didn't deserve a response. I was being kind to you .

Oil reserves are, as with for example the riches of the City of London, just something thrown into the giant UK economic powerhouse. They aren't that vital to a country of the size of the UK.

Mmmm northern rock i wonder which resource just got the credit for bringing the economy back :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not here to defend any government's economic forecasting - however because the economy was at the heart of the campaign it's no surprise that was where the attacks from BT came.

Most honest nationalists know deep down that the argument on the economy was ultimately lost. That is surprising as I think it is possible to present a convincing case for the economy in an iScotland - John Swinney failed to do that by using overly optimistic revenue forecasts but also increasing expenditure commitments.

I don't think there was any need to do that - I think the Yes campaign would have won the working class vote without committing an extra penny to expenditure. It was the middle classes and those who had financial commitments that they failed to convince, especially when those figures came under closer scrutiny.

I also don't think that the currency policy helped either - personally I'd have been much happier with a iCurrency backed up by an independent Scottish bank - but it seems to me that the SNP were too feart to have this as a policy.

Ultimately I found John Swinney's forecasts as believable as "The Vow".

Probably sums it up as good as any.

Good points.

Thinking about it only makes me angry.

Archived