Africa's most famous lion slaughtered by utter scumbag tourist

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, don't mean to offend I just value all life as equal. Any needless killing is out of order.

Media and celebrity hypocrisy is a nonsense.

You think the life of a bacteria is equal to that of a human?

my deid animal consumption is generally a packet of ham a week, and a kebab/munchybox at weekends.

How many innocent seagulls have given their lives for your munchie boxes over the years?

Quite liked this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33722688

Zimbabweans feel somewhat bemused by the attention the world is giving to the killing of a lion

For a country that has been largely left to its own fate, the sudden spike in international interest in Zimbabwe did not come from the high unemployment figures, the food shortages, the state persecution of vendors, the lack of medicines, the lack of cash - but from a lion named "Cecil" by conservationists.

The lion's death has not registered much with the locals - and for most Zimbabweans the name is more associated with the British imperialist diamond digger Cecil John Rhodes... As names go, it was a curious choice for a Zimbabwean lion - it would be like Asmara Zoo calling a lion Benito in a not so subtle nod to Mussolini.

Trophy hunting is permitted all year round in Zimbabwe - and a brief web search will tell you how much you can expect to spend on bagging a warthog, a hyena, a giraffe, an elephant or a lion... Just how much of the cash is ending up in the national coffers or helping conservation efforts is unknown, but it is also true that a scramble to own game ranches has been at play now for some time amongst Zimbabwe's powerful. The first lady herself was accused of allegedly displacing farm workers to make way for wild animals as she tried to turn the land into a game ranch.

Maybe Geldolf, Bono et al have been going about the whole 'save starving African kids' thing the wrong way. Perhaps if they dressed all the starving kids up like notable lions they might get some attention?

I think stuff like this gets so much attention because people want to come across (and convince themselves) that they are nice, caring people, but actually getting involved in all these more important things requires effort, education and actually bothering to engage in some not very nice topics. Getting outraged at stories like this gives people the chance to feel like good, caring citizens without actually having to open their mind to some of the horrible things that go on in Zimbabwe, and round the world. They can show off to their Facebook how sympathetic and moral they are, without actually having to learn about, or do, anything.

What the guy did was disgusting (and just weird, what would make you want to do that?). But I think the reason it's got so much publicity can be explained quite easily. However in this case it will raise awareness of animal cruelty and put people off doing it again, so whilst the mock outrage can get annoying, I can only see the outrage being a good thing in this case.

Not read the whole thread so this point may have already been raised, my disgust in the whole thing ( for fear of running into the whole gypsy dog stealing thing) is that people are allowed to pay for the privilege (sic) of killing creatures that are endangered. If a local shot a lion to protect livestock, I'm sure they would be shat upon from a great height.

You think the life of a bacteria is equal to that of a human?

I think it's ok to kill everything without a central nervous system, i.e. insects and bacteria, but not ok to kill anything else. These life forms are merely "objects" and don't feel pain or have subjective experiences like us and other animals. Also, if a life form has the capacity to know that it exists, it is "more wrong" to kill it than it is to kill a life form that doesn't have that ability. I don't know how the self-awareness of a chicken compares to that of a lion though.

Having said that, I still eat meat because in the real world I'm a moralless hypocrite.

I think stuff like this gets so much attention because people want to come across (and convince themselves) that they are nice, caring people, but actually getting involved in all these more important things requires effort, education and actually bothering to engage in some not very nice topics. Getting outraged at stories like this gives people the chance to feel like good, caring citizens without actually having to open their mind to some of the horrible things that go on in Zimbabwe, and round the world. They can show off to their Facebook how sympathetic and moral they are, without actually having to learn about, or do, anything.

What the guy did was disgusting (and just weird, what would make you want to do that?). But I think the reason it's got so much publicity can be explained quite easily. However in this case it will raise awareness of animal cruelty and put people off doing it again, so whilst the mock outrage can get annoying, I can only see the outrage being a good thing in this case.

Absolutely nailed it. Look at me I care more than you, by retweeting a post on a website.

f**k off.

Archived