Buying a new bed

Romeo

The humble bed. Where we sleep snugly at night dreaming peaceful dreams. Where we make sweet, sweet love to our significant others, where we watch the telly or read the papers on Sunday morning.

So..Mrs romeo is looking at getting a new bed and quite frankly I am flabbergasted by the sums of money involved. She was looking at one costing £1300 with a fancy mattress and a nice base, never even asked about the headboard which I believe would have made it even more expensive.

What do you sleep in, a fancy bed? a skip? Under a bush in the park?

What would you recommend? Do you have any bed related stories?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The humble bed. Where we sleep snugly at night dreaming peaceful dreams. Where we make sweet, sweet love to our significant others, where we watch the telly or read the papers on Sunday morning.

So..Mrs romeo is looking at getting a new bed and quite frankly I am flabbergasted by the sums of money involved. She was looking at one costing £1300 with a fancy mattress and a nice base, never even asked about the headboard which I believe would have made it even more expensive.

What do you sleep in, a fancy bed? a skip? Under a bush in the park?

What would you recommend? Do you have any bed related stories?

It's all about the mattress.

I am currently buying a house with my fiancé and a bed is something we need. I have only ever lived in rented flats up until now so I had no idea just how ridiculously expensive beds are (well more mattresses than the frames). It is a huge cost and with the rest of our new house to furnish I'm not sure what we will do in terms of budget and expense.

We got our from ikea, the bed frame was 125 and mattress 100 so i make that 225 and we bought 2 beds so 500 sheets spent on beds in this flat.

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of a good bed though as you will spend a good portion of your life there assuming you get home after work each evening.

Same goes for a good couch, the one we got is alright but we couldn't agree so got one neither of us really liked and i often look at it and feel disappointed but yet try to live in a sort of denial saying i like it when deep down i know its not that great and we could have done a lot better

It's all about the mattress.

This.

Seems to be, she has been reading up on it and keeps asking how many springs or coils or something in the mattress. The one that comes with the £1300 bed has 2800 of these and the top bit is that memory foam nonsense.

I am currently buying a house with my fiancé and a bed is something we need. I have only ever lived in rented flats up until now so I had no idea just how ridiculously expensive beds are (well more mattresses than the frames). It is a huge cost and with the rest of our new house to furnish I'm not sure what we will do in terms of budget and expense.

Its a stressful ordeal, i knew what money i could put down and what i wanted to spend on the flat as i wanted it to be a total bachelor pad and wanted to spend maybe 10 grand on it but due to circumstances had to put more down and then the fees added up and the essentials that needed to be bought cost more than i thought. All that and my mrs wouldn't keep her fucking nose out of my financial situation and kept arguing over what i got the entire saga was a bit of a nightmare. Place is decent now but would like a new tv and few other bits and bobs

Its a stressful ordeal, i knew what money i could put down and what i wanted to spend on the flat as i wanted it to be a total bachelor pad and wanted to spend maybe 10 grand on it but due to circumstances had to put more down and then the fees added up and the essentials that needed to be bought cost more than i thought. All that and my mrs wouldn't keep her fucking nose out of my financial situation and kept arguing over what i got the entire saga was a bit of a nightmare. Place is decent now but would like a new tv and few other bits and bobs

Does the "other bits and bobs" include new plates?

Romeo have you thought about Ikea or is your mrs insistent on spending big bucks?

Right, I don't know if this is bullshit or not but I suggested that and she said their beds are "European" sizes and the current linen she has won't fit. Is she bullshitting me?

You realise you were still logged in? I just bought three for you.

Cheers mate :thumsup2

Does the "other bits and bobs" include new plates?

Those plates were a hand me down, the mother in law has the most awful of tastes and Mrs Throbber didn't want to hurt her feelings i suppose and we are stuck with them awful ones. We got light shades off her too that I'm not too keen on.

Right, I don't know if this is bullshit or not but I suggested that and she said their beds are "European" sizes and the current linen she has won't fit. Is she bullshitting me?

i think beds come double then king sized do they not? Think she's bullshitting you, i couldn't justify paying that for a mattress

Throbber, do you have an octagonal bed? Tell the truth now.

Mrs Chris and I spent a fortune on beds. Our bed is very comfy and the head and footboard are covered in purple felt, it really does look like it's come out of a 1970s brothel. We have a more sturdy steel framed bed in our guest room. Our mattress is very soft and comfortable. I love it.

Yes she is. Single, double, king or queen. Simple.

Throbber, do you have an octagonal bed? Tell the truth now.

Mrs Chris and I spent a fortune on beds. Our bed is very comfy and the head and footboard are covered in purple felt, it really does look like it's come out of a 1970s brothel. We have a more sturdy steel framed bed in our guest room. Our mattress is very soft and comfortable. I love it.

Nah its just a malm from ikea, pretty plain and simple but it does the job i suppose. A lot of ugly beds out there

Nah its just a malm from ikea, pretty plain and simple but it does the job i suppose. A lot of ugly beds out there

Wife is laughing away at your user name here throbber. She sticking to her guns re: the "european" sized bed.

Archived