Timetable for 'inevitable' Scottish Independence?

John Lambies Doos

Who's calling for a best of three at this point in time ? Salmond likes to wind up the establishment, always has and always will.

Unionists seem to fail to understand the meaning of democracy these days. If a party proposes a referendum in their manifesto and gets a majority, there will be a referendum. Simple as that really.

No voters should be wanting another one as quick as possible because the longer it drags the more chance yes has of winning it.

'Unionists seem to fail to understand the meaning of democracy' ?? You mean like losing a referendum and then demanding another because you weren't happy with the majority result. Is that the sort of democracy you mean?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never got this. How can the meaning of devo max be up for negotiation? It's the maximum devolved powers. So everything bar defence and foregn affairs.

Unionists have deliberately muddied the waters regarding Devo Max. Before the referendum we all knew what it meant.

'Unionists seem to fail to understand the meaning of democracy' ?? You mean like losing a referendum and then demanding another because you weren't happy with the majority result. Is that the sort of democracy you mean?

353969-alex-salmond-enters-house-of-comm

Who's demanding another referendum?

If people vote a party in that wants to have one then we'll have one... That kind of democracy.

I seem to remember hearing from somewhere something like there's been a change in leadership of the SNP.

Also, he always said he believed it would be a once in a *whatever*. As in, he didn't think we would be able to get another chance.

To blindly ignore the wishes of the electorate would be political suicide, especially since the prime function of the party has always been to achieve this. Just imagine what would happen if, say, the Labour Party completely ignored the wishes of their base and went chasing the Tories towards a mutually assured neoliberal destruction. I would imagine such a scenario would see base leave the party en masse to look for a party which will represent them. Or they might just not bother voting.

Do you want me to show the Nicola Sturgeon video saying the same thing?

;)

Do you want me to show the Nicola Sturgeon video saying the same thing?

;)

I could also wonder if the Referendum was held under a false premise and an electorate knowing they would possibly get another go later may not have voted in the way they did in either direction.

I could also wonder if the Referendum was held under a false premise and an electorate knowing they would possibly get another go later may not have voted in the way they did in either direction.

:lol:

Why the f**k would a Yes voter have changed their vote in those circumstances?

The only reason a No voter might have is resignation to the fact that it's going to happen sooner or later so we might as well get on with it.

:lol:

Why the f**k would a Yes voter have changed their vote in those circumstances?

The only reason a No voter might have is resignation to the fact that it's going to happen sooner or later so we might as well get on with it.

Well let me explain.A wavering YES may have stuck with NO if they thought the issue would raise its head again and a change of mind would be possible.

2016 SE. Would not put referendum in manifesto. SNP landslide

2020 GE. Tory Majority. They have no uk wide opposition. Corbyn is unelectable in middle England, the blairites are just plain unelectable

2021 SE. Referendum in manifesto. Landslide SNP.

2023: Referendum. Independence secured.

Independence is all but dead, still twitching though.

Independence is all but dead, still twitching though.

I do like the timetable of what will happen in the future as if there are no variables in prospect over the next decade.I also would point out the clairvoyant SNP voters who told me a Tory majority was impossible and they would definitely be influencing a Labour government. The SNP might just be called to account on a few things by then . Police Scotland, health, education etc.Independence is as inevitable as the baby panda arriving at Edinburgh Zoo.Maybe aye maybe naw.

Why do you hate your country so much?

As I've already stated, I'm no SNP fanboy, I support their ultimate goal but will criticise where I disagree with policy or actions.

You seem to have a problem with us deciding what's best for Scotland... You are a britnat.

Why do you hate your country so much?

As I've already stated, I'm no SNP fanboy, I support their ultimate goal but will criticise where I disagree with policy or actions.

You seem to have a problem with us deciding what's best for Scotland... You are a britnat.

Pointing out independence is not inevitable can only equate with "hating your country" in some SNP la la land as that statement makes no sense."us deciding what's best for Scotland" Whose us ?? Does this include everyone or just fanboys ??

Also "britnat" is a insult used as a figleaf over a poor argument. Even some Independence supporters must be bright enough to realise "inevitable" is a lazy assumption to make.

Or certain YES voters may have been frightened off by Project Fear.

Basically enough of them panicked in the final week.

200,000 voters change their mind and its a YES.

I more bemused the YES side did so well especially as it the official YES campaign was outflanked on the economics.

Still, lots to be learned for any future referendum.

I also wonder what would have happened if the Labour MPs had split 50/50 on the issue.

It's our pound too so we can still use it bordered on the comically bad as a strategy, but it almost worked. If the UK was in the eurozone and the currency question could have been neutralised completely, the Union almost certainly would have been over and done with. A lot depends now on what happens with the EU referendum and EVEL for how quickly the second round will be held.

If you believe in Home Rule/Federalism/Independence then things have moved on massively since i was first took an interest in politics 40 odd years ago.

The more powers that transfer from Westminster to Holyrood then the easier it is to move to the next stage.

Certainly if Labour every cave in on genuine Devo Max then it's goodnight UK.

Archived