Timetable for 'inevitable' Scottish Independence?

John Lambies Doos

I would just say it was once in a generation and it failed so its not happening again anytime soon YES voters.I can see how Nicola has to be cagey to keep the "Braveheart" types on board.

You are already a generation older than some on here. ;)

PS. Happy Birthday.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd welcome another Ref tomorrow and the result would still be No, would you accept that or just rant on for the next 12 months demanding another? The electorate would I believe go for devo-max however and remain as part of the United Kingdom.

The option should have been given last September, I think it would have satisfied the majority of voters.

The matter will not be settled until we're independent.

Smashing, eh?

The matter will not be settled until we're independent.

Smashing, eh?

reckon you're going to be waiting longer than you think my friend, let's see what the appetite is like after the 56 have served their full term

I'd welcome another Ref tomorrow and the result would still be No, would you accept that or just rant on for the next 12 months demanding another? The electorate would I believe go for devo-max however and remain as part of the United Kingdom.

The option should have been given last September, I think it would have satisfied the majority of voters.

Believe it or not, not every independence supporter want a referendum every day until we win. In fact, if you trawl back one whole page, you'll see that my prediction (and preference) for the next referendum is 2022, although I'd be happy with one any time in the early 2020s. Enough time to get the right result but not too far away.

I agree about Devo Max. In fact, that could be the spanner in the timescale works. If we got Devo Max, the next indyref might be pushed back a little. The SNP thinking being that a few extra years DM would all but guarantee a Yes vote. On the other hand, if the SNP run with devo max in the manifesto in 2016, win a crushing victory and WM fail to grant it, a Yes vote also become much more likely next time.

reckon you're going to be waiting longer than you think my friend, let's see what the appetite is like after the 56 have served their full term

Sounds good to me.

They're doing a rather grand job so far of highlighting how fucking useless Westminster is to Scotland.

I'll give you Corbyn, that was pretty unforseen.

The scale of the SNPs gains in May was obviously way beyond prediction but the signs of that shift have been coming for a long time. Also, before the campaign started, I would have bet on a Tory majority and I'm sure I wouldn't have been alone. Whether the polls were actually wrong or whether there was a very ate shift I suppose we'll never know.

You certainly weren't, it was Kinnock time all over again.

Sturgeon played a big part in the indy campaign as dfm now as fm her goals with stay the same as salmonds, hardly a real change is it.as for respecting the electorate well havent seen much off that towards the result last year

Playing a big part is different from leading. Do you not have a management structure where you work?

You are already a generation older than some on here. ;)

PS. Happy Birthday.

Why thank you .I am indeed the older generation and have only Wurthers Originals and disease in my future nae wonder im a crabbit Unionist.

Believe it or not, not every independence supporter want a referendum every day until we win. In fact, if you trawl back one whole page, you'll see that my prediction (and preference) for the next referendum is 2022, although I'd be happy with one any time in the early 2020s. Enough time to get the right result but not too far away.

I agree about Devo Max. In fact, that could be the spanner in the timescale works. If we got Devo Max, the next indyref might be pushed back a little. The SNP thinking being that a few extra years DM would all but guarantee a Yes vote. On the other hand, if the SNP run with devo max in the manifesto in 2016, win a crushing victory and WM fail to grant it, a Yes vote also become much more likely next time.

I agree with this but Devo Max must be spelt out clearly in manifesto

To me its power over everything, all taxes, wealth, resources. And we pay westminster a sum for defence and foreign affairs.

What's more odd about that than having one referendum and then locking in that decision for a lengthy period of time, during which the electorate could change it's mind. What's more democratic or respectful about that?

Can unionists not just admit, they basically never want another referendum because they don't want to lose one?

We had a referendum and it returned a fairly resounding "no" despite attempts to portray a 10% losing margin as some sort of moral victory.

I question your definition of "a lengthy period of time" since that appears to mean starting to organise another one within about six months of the last one. Salmond himself, and the SNP hierarchy, conceded at the time that if it was lost then there should be no more vote for at least a generation. That means 20 years or so, not 20 weeks.

Can the nationalists not just abide by the will of the people of Scotland instead of throwing the toys out of the pram and calling for a "best of three"? It's pretty desperate stuff.

We had a referendum and it returned a fairly resounding "no" despite attempts to portray a 10% losing margin as some sort of moral victory.

I question your definition of "a lengthy period of time" since that appears to mean starting to organise another one within about six months of the last one. Salmond himself, and the SNP hierarchy, conceded at the time that if it was lost then there should be no more vote for at least a generation. That means 20 years or so, not 20 weeks.

Can the nationalists not just abide by the will of the people of Scotland instead of throwing the toys out of the pram and calling for a "best of three"? It's pretty desperate stuff.

^^^ David Mundell voter, imo

What if the will of the people of Scotland as judged by polls and election manifestos was overwhelmingly in favour of another referendum? Should they be denied?

Who's calling for a best of three at this point in time ? Salmond likes to wind up the establishment, always has and always will.

Unionists seem to fail to understand the meaning of democracy these days. If a party proposes a referendum in their manifesto and gets a majority, there will be a referendum. Simple as that really.

No voters should be wanting another one as quick as possible because the longer it drags the more chance yes has of winning it.

We all get the chance to choose our government (UK) every 5 years.

If the SNP clearly state in their manifesto that they want another referendum and still return with a majority, I would say that was a signal from the electorate that they approve.

It only means they approve of another ref - not independence. I think the diabolical disregard of Scotland's welfare demonstrated by our Westminster overlords means that SNP need to include an option for referendum in every manifesto. 2022 seems a good bet for a win.

Well the "lengthy period of time" was a reference to how long unionists seem to think is reasonable before we have another one.

The next referendum will happen when a party/parties proposing one win a majority in the Holyrood elections. Can you tell me what's more democratic than that. Do you hold any other party/government/parliament to the comments of previous leaders for years to come on any other issues? I suspect not.

I'm not sure devo Max can be in the manifesto given that its meaning is up for negotiation with Westminster. A referendum on it perhaps, which I think might pass.

I've never got this. How can the meaning of devo max be up for negotiation? It's the maximum devolved powers. So everything bar defence and foregn affairs.

Archived