Dundee United v Dunfermline (League Cup - 3rd Round)

Parscelona

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That big lad at the back for the Pars was an absolute carthorse. Cant honestly see how anyone thought he had a good game. As has been pointed out, he either bombed it 70 yards up the park or launched it in the stands. For what its worth, i thought Dunfermline played some great stuff at times especially the first 20 mins or so. They really should be romping that league and wouldnt be surprised to see them challenging for the Championship next season if they can keep this group of players together. Terrific turn out from them, well done

A very good effort from the guys last night. Comedy keeping for our goal but we deserved to be in front after a terrific first half performance. United gradually came back into the game and got a soft goal of their own from a corner. Thought United had charge of the game from that point, although we looked dangerous on the break and had two glorious chances to go back in front. Wallace's miss was awful but sadly unsurprising.

Clearly the legs were gone in extra time and we just didn't have that extra yard of pace to stop the attacks. We did create a couple of decent openings at 3-1 but it was too late at that point. United deserved the win but we gave them a good test I thought.

Awesome away support through and I imagine nobody was left disappointed with the performance. Hopefully we don't see a hangover on Saturday against Airdrie.

For United, Fraser and Rankin impressed me. Zwick, McKay and Murray did not. I'd be embarrassed to be a Premiership side with Simon Murray on the books.

For United, Fraser and Rankin impressed me. Zwick, McKay and Murray did not. I'd be embarrassed to be a Premiership side with Simon Murray on the books.

Aside from the blunder for the goal (which was awful, granted) I thought Zwick had a fine game. Every keeper chucks one in occasionally but the test is how often it happens and whether it puts him off his game. This was Luis' first bad one in a competitive game and considering he's played less than a dozen first team games ever, I'm happy to cut him a bit of slack.

That big lad at the back for the Pars was an absolute carthorse. Cant honestly see how anyone thought he had a good game. As has been pointed out, he either bombed it 70 yards up the park or launched it in the stands. For what its worth, i thought Dunfermline played some great stuff at times especially the first 20 mins or so. They really should be romping that league and wouldnt be surprised to see them challenging for the Championship next season if they can keep this group of players together. Terrific turn out from them, well done

I thought Big Ben had a good game. Personally felt Martin and Geggan had better games. Paton was great at both ends of the pitch as well.

Aside from the blunder for the goal (which was awful, granted) I thought Zwick had a fine game. Every keeper chucks one in occasionally but the test is how often it happens and whether it puts him off his game. This was Luis' first bad one in a competitive game and considering he's played less than a dozen first team games ever, I'm happy to cut him a bit of slack.

Made some decent saves but chucked one in and his kicking was all over the shop. As you say though, he's inexperienced so a learning curve for him.

That may have been a tactic because our two centre halfs are slower than a week in jail

I thought he was just having fun kicking the ball a long way. I hadn't even considered the possibility that they could have been meant as long balls for our front boys to run on to. I can now see why some folk think he had a bad game :lol:

Was he the big chap who kept punting the ball out of the park?

Meant from a defensive point of view, McKay got next to no change out of him the entire night. Fluffed is only opportunity.

Made some decent saves but chucked one in and his kicking was all over the shop. As you say though, he's inexperienced so a learning curve for him.

I think he might have Rado'd one out of play, but his kicking is generally excellent. Certainly he's more comfortable with the ball at his feet than any other keeper I can remember at United - probably ever.

Meant from a defensive point of view, McKay got next to no change out of him the entire night. Fluffed is only opportunity.

To be fair, there's definitely something to be said for having a great big b*****d at centre half and he's certainly that. If he could also play football he wouldn't be languishing in the third division*.

* before the pedants choke on their cocks, I'm aware it's not currently branded as such.

I thought our back four had a good game, especially Geggan at right back and Lewis Martin in the centre beside Richards-Everton. Martin was particularly excellent for me and the fact that Mckay only really had one goalscoring chance (granted he skinned Richards-Everton) is testament to the work they did.

Although disappointed we went out, I couldn't have asked for more from our team last night. In many respects, it was similar to the Dundee match where we started off superbly well, dominated the early exchanges and took the lead. Zwick had to do better with Paton's shot mind you, but I think we deserved to be ahead at that point. It seemed to me that the little bit of handbags between El Bakhtaoui and Durnan that led to them both receiving yellows, and then Callum Morris' cruncher on El Bakhtaoui gave United and the home crowd a bit of a spark that they needed.

The equaliser, from our point of view, wasn't pretty as we should've dealt with the corner better, but the big moments were when Wallace hit the post then missed after rounding the keeper. Had we gone in at half-time 2-1 up, the United crowd and players would've been a lot more edgy and we'd have had something to hold on to.

Like the Dundee game, United, as expected, came at us second half and when Spittal went on that changed the game I felt. I thought he and Fraser were both excellent and were big threats to us; the shot Spittal put wide before Mckay's chance that Murdoch's save was inches away. You could see how much we were tiring given the effort we'd put in to it, but I thought we'd nick it when Moffat / El Bakhtaoui had that chance towards the end of regulation time.

We did well to hold on to force extra time given there were a few near misses by United, and in the end that told when we lost the goals. It was far from a disgrace though and what pleased me was that we didn't lose any more goals (which would've been very, very harsh) and that we kept plugging away to try and score a consolation. Given we ended normal time with a back four that only contained two recognised defenders, I thought we did ourselves a lot of credit.

You could tell how low in confidence United were but once they got in front in ET it started to build up again. I mentioned Spittal and Fraser but I thought Telfer looked good for an hour or so too.

Couldn't fault our lads as I said with Byrne, Falkingham and Paton particularly standing out for me alongside Geggan and Martin. Hopefully Talbot going off won't lead to a lay off, and that the lads can recover their energy for Airdrie on Saturday. They looked absolutely shattered.

Terrific travelling support too and always welcome to return to Tannadice. Good luck to United in the next round and for the rest of the season.

Have to hand it to Geggan. He got a lot of stick last season (and rightly so) but he's been superb so far. Had to play the last game and a half at right back and has done really well there as well.

We have so little depth at the back just now it's scary. If Martin or BRE go down then we'll have to play John Potter in 2015.

Knew he'd miss. Decent player but misses far too many easy chances over the course of the season.

I don't like him tbh.

Don't think he's good enough for the level we want to be at, seems out of his depth.

Every time he plays it just seems he shoots and misses or fucks up simple passes.

#sendtocowden

I don't like him tbh.

Don't think he's good enough for the level we want to be at, seems out of his depth.

Every time he plays it just seems he shoots and misses or fucks up simple passes.

#sendtocowden

Can we not just concentrate on being good at the level we're currently playing at? Jesus fucking Christ what a ridiculous thing to say!

Archived