Morton - Motherwell

thisGRAEME

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Result isn't a surprise, I was actually embarrassed when we equalized in the 90th minute (and a bit gutted seeing as I'd put money on Morton to win in the 90). There was almost a "right, lets get this over and done with" feeling amongst fans before the game.
As much as Morton played well, it's not hard to look like world beaters against our shower. I hope the ironic cheers as Taylor was hooked were audible to the dugout. Taylor shouldn't play for us again, absolutely woeful, but if we're going to play him (almost looks like one of those "in the contract" jobs, that if he's fit, he plays) then you absolutely cannot put a young inexperienced player like Leitch in next to him. Game turned a little when McDonald came on but rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic sums it up. Pass marks go to Ripley for looking like he actually gave a f*ck, Kennedy, Ainsworth and McDonald when he came on. The rest weren't even close. Big changes needed or else we'll be going down automatically this year and we'll get a double-dunt of St. Mirren stewards next season.
Shout out too to the Accies fans popping into this thread, we still don't care about you enough, but keep trying, maybe one day it'll feel like a rivalry!

Result isn't a surprise, I was actually embarrassed when we equalized in the 90th minute (and a bit gutted seeing as I'd put money on Morton to win in the 90). There was almost a "right, lets get this over and done with" feeling amongst fans before the game.

As much as Morton played well, it's not hard to look like world beaters against our shower. I hope the ironic cheers as Taylor was hooked were audible to the dugout. Taylor shouldn't play for us again, absolutely woeful, but if we're going to play him (almost looks like one of those "in the contract" jobs, that if he's fit, he plays) then you absolutely cannot put a young inexperienced player like Leitch in next to him. Game turned a little when McDonald came on but rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic sums it up. Pass marks go to Ripley for looking like he actually gave a f*ck, Kennedy, Ainsworth and McDonald when he came on. The rest weren't even close. Big changes needed or else we'll be going down automatically this year and we'll get a double-dunt of St. Mirren stewards next season.

Shout out too to the Accies fans popping into this thread, we still don't care about you enough, but keep trying, maybe one day it'll feel like a rivalry!

Kennedy was the one with his head bandaged up aye? He was rank rotten!

The only player that looked likely to do much for Motherwell was the wee number 23 who was subbed off.

Kennedy was the one with his head bandaged up aye? He was rank rotten!

The only player that looked likely to do much for Motherwell was the wee number 23 who was subbed off.

I thought Kennedy actually had an alright game compared to the rest of the Well players. If they'd had the 23, McDonald/Moult and Ainsworth on from the start, they'd probably have won it.

As it was, our defence still isn't great but we're doing so, so much better than I thought we would. Please play Tidser in the middle Jim.

Thank you very much for Alex Samuel...

I'm fucking sick of being magnanimous on P&B at the moment - but a richly deserved win last night for the Ton. The fact it went to extra time was a bit of a travesty given the 90+ minutes that had gone before - but we couldn't even take advantage of that bit of luck like you would expect the "bigger" (haha) team to do.

As soon as I saw the team sheet, my first thought was that Barraclough had totally lost it - it was reminiscent of Gannon deliberately dropping our best players to make a point near the end of his rein. I think there was maybe 4 first team goals on the pitch at the start of the match and the original 11 could have played for the rest of time and not scored. In our squad, only Ainsworth, Moult and McDonald can be relied on to be regular scorers (Fletcher maybe can be added to that but we don't know yet) and to drop the lot of them was a fucking masterstroke from barraclough. Add to that that without the 36 YO lasley and Pearson, we literally have no-one to boss a midfield - Ross Forbes was a much maligned figure at the end of his time at Fir Park, but look at just how much better he was than anyone in Claret and Amber last night....

Morton looked like everything we weren't - committed in the tackle, had a decent shape about them and seemed to be operating on what I believe is called a "game plan", wherin the various players have actually been told what to do. They scored a couple of good goals and didn't let their heads go down when they lost an undeserved equaliser. I hope they do well in the next round and for the rest of season. Oh - and Cappielow was looking great last night - cracking ground and I'd love to have a setup at Firpark like the shed there - with seats at the front and terracing at the back.....

Barraclough has reached the end of the road - the board need to be decisive and sort it now. We've never been brutal with managers and have practically never sacked anyone - but it needs to happen now regardless of the fact that Barraclough may be a nice guy personally...

:lol: A bit upset?

Where to start?

A great showing during the 90. When the late goal went in I was prepared to blame Duffy for not hooking a knackered Tidser for Barr and seeing out the injury time. I was too stunned and gutted to offer any encouragement when the extra time started and expected us to go on and lose. Great move to go 2-1 up, then things got silly as the entire constabulary of Police Scotland turned up to control a few Motherwell refugees seeking asylum in Greenock. Tidser's goal was a real slow motion effort, and I was finally confident of us seeing out the time. Got to give Duffy the credit where it's due for that one. Funny to see Pepper only getting booked for the same foul that the Livi defender was sent off for.

Referee was poor (no shock there) but poor for both sides. Motherwell looked like they expected to lose, and only had any cohesion after MacDonald came on. Their number 11 looked sharp in the first half but faded. The beardy guy with the bandage was ineffective and trying too hard to look good.

Fingers crossed for a Highland Derby in the Quarter finals so we get a game I can attend. Anyone at home would be preferred.

I was quietly confident before this game although weary of a few Motherwell players who could cause us serious problems but we are on a good run and Motherwell are struggling.

When the lineups were announced and the two main threats in my opinion, McDonald and Ainsworth were on the bench, I wasn't sure if Barraclough was underestimating us or genuinely dropped them. I was delighted to see them on the bench.

We were very unlucky to concede when we did but that happened at the weekend too, right on the stroke of half time. Samuel looks outstanding and can see why he came with an excellent reputation from Swansea. Big Denny's hold up play is outstanding too. Has to be Denny and Samuel as Peaso is struggling.

What a night.

Police officially investigating crowd trouble at Cappielow last night.

2 Police officers hurt and 2 men arrested....

I'm still laughing at the diddy squad that came hurtling round the track when any trouble (such as it was) had long since stopped - reminiscent of the charge of the police horses at Fir Park after the playoff :)

Archived