Morton - Motherwell

thisGRAEME

We got through to the quarter finals of this tournament two years ago.

Could anyone refresh my memory as to who we beat to achieve this feat?

I hope you got your invitation to the anniversary party. It's green and tear-stained :)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy with this - only because we avoided the Bears, Hearts and Hibs.

This is a classic old style cup tie.

Missed the 1/4 final tie in 1991 because I was away on business.

Also due away to London on the 23rd, so PLEASE make it the 22nd

Would love a trip to Cappielow

We are gash by the way and so this represents a good opportunity for Morton also

We'll give you classic old style alright - with the old wooden stand belting out Hector Nicol songs as you lapse into DVT with the pre war legroom. Those of you in the Wee Dublin End will have one of the best views in the house (or anywhere) for watching football. If this is on the telly... it will be in black and white with Arthur Montford giving it the full stramash :)

Last time we played Motherwell was a horrible day. 5-0 down at half-time, poured all day and after the game that fucking pub with the pool tables in it felt like it was about to kick off any minute with the Motherwell and Morton fans.

I think you should watch this to relive what sounds like a top day :)

I think you should watch this to relive what sounds like a top day :)

Never watched it then, no intention of watching it now.

Changed days for you guys these days though, eh? But for the uselessness of McCoist & McDowall you could've been visiting Cappielow earlier than next month....... You think you should've tried to keep McCall, or was it time for a change?

Never watched it then, no intention of watching it now.

Changed days for you guys these days though, eh? But for the uselessness of McCoist & McDowall you could've been visiting Cappielow earlier than next month....... You think you should've tried to keep McCall, or was it time for a change?

You do remember who the Rangers manager was when we pumped them, don't you?

McCall's time was up long before he left Fir Park.

You do remember who the Rangers manager was when we pumped them, don't you?

McCall's time was up long before he left Fir Park.

yeah, but don't think he can really be blamed for it - they were a shambles and totally dispirited way before he came in. It was pretty ironic tho.......

On that cup match, I think that was when OUR boss made a throwaway comment about "parking the bus". Shame it was only a minibus.......

Nope, I'm sure I saw us put them out of the League cup at Cappielow around 1962 or 1963. Got a feeling it was the quarter finals the year we got to the final.......?

I just checked - after a 0-0 draw in the first leg we beat Motherwell 2-0 at Cappielow in the League Cup quarter finals on 18th September 1963, end route to the final.

My first full season going to support the 'Ton, and I thought it was always gonna be that good.

*sigh*.......

I suppose as we are the lowest ranked seeded team, Morton are the 2nd lowest ranked unseeded team and there is no huge journey involved for anyone - and more importantly the game could genuinely go either way, it's as good as you can hope for in a seeded draw...

Speak for yourself.

Since I missed out on East Fife in the last round I will definitely go to this one since its a new ground I haven't been to before and one of the more old fashioned grounds in Scotland, what's the view like from behind the goal anyway? It hardly looks comfortable on tv

Since I missed out on East Fife in the last round I will definitely go to this one since its a new ground I haven't been to before and one of the more old fashioned grounds in Scotland, what's the view like from behind the goal anyway? It hardly looks comfortable on tv

The view from the WDE is excellent. The minor drawback is the lack of roof/protection from the elements. Just as well that it rarely rains in Greenock :whistle

I've seen us play Motherwell three times. Last two times, we didn't really look like competing against them, despite only losing 1-0 before the absolute drubbing.

The time before that seen us hammered 3-0 by Owen Coy... I mean Motherwell.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived