Aberdeen v Celtic - 12/9/15

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the league games this season I don't think Aberdeen have played that well in all of them. Hopefully we will turn up against Celtic and not have a poor day like we did against Partick Thistle. The squad is better than last season with Ward and Shinnie in the team so I expect us to get closer to Celtic this season.

Last season games I felt we was hard done with in 3 out of 4 of these games so hopefully we don't have the same outcome in these game this season and one I don't think our manager will stand for.

Slightly harsh. I think we've been excellent for the majority of most games (though I didn't see the Partick game - despite it being the closest stadium to where I live - and from reports it would appear to be our poorest performance of the season.)

Against Dundee we weren't great in the final third but some of our play in the first half was great, and Dundee have shown this season they're a good side. Our midfield were constantly on the move, you can see the benefit that European football has given them.

Away to Motherwell, bar the first 10 and last 20 minutes, we were head and shoulders above them and 2-1 was a false scoreline because in truth we should have handed out a doing.

There's a myth that we haven't had the bottle against Celtic. In all four games last season we actually had spells where we were the better team and on top of them.

Two things have let us down though - we've not been clinical (especially from set pieces) and we've not been fully concentrated for 90 minutes.

Really, we let Celtic off the hook four times last season.

Have we fixed that problem this season? Well, we've only conceded once in the league, however against Kairat we made the same mistake for their goal that we tended to make v Celtic. If Izaguirre is good going forward but sometimes a bit slack at the back, Logan is the same for us.

One thing in our favour is our starting XI is more settled than Celtic's. Deila has constantly reshuffled. Against Aberdeen they could have a defender making a debut, and with Ciftci now free to play he could be tempted to start him and leave Griffiths fresh for Ajax, which I think would be a boost as Griffiths is their best player. Armstrong likely being out is also a boost.

I'm pretty confident if Aberdeen can get in front in this one, we can keep it tight enough at the back to go on and win it. Some of our passing this season - much to do with the settled line-up - has been excellent and only once in our 11 games (and that was the very first one v Schendija) have we been pegged back from a winning position. I think we can manage the game well and watch Celtic lose their heads like they tend to do when things aren't going their way, but we must get that first goal. If Van Dijk goes and it's a new defensive partnership between Boyata and this new boy, we need to really test them early.

Apparently just over 2,000 tickets left so looking like a sell out.

Ironic considering the state of that 'Will Hearts Lose a Game?' thread. But it wis the referee!

A whole three minutes after posting. Not bad.

Very much looking forward to the game. I was at all the league matches so far this season and the Dons will need to play better than they have done in any of them to win this. I think they will though.

Walking down the Merkland Road on the way to a game, to watch my team, in my city, in my tribe.

Canna beat it.

1-0 or 2-0 Dons. I really think we'll keep a clean sheet here. Buzzing for this game!

It'll be interesting to see how Celtic get on with Boyata and Blackett playing their first competitive game together against us.

Regardless of refereeing standards or the players Celtic have line up against us, I see no reason why we can't go out and win, comfortably.

Slightly harsh. I think we've been excellent for the majority of most games (though I didn't see the Partick game - despite it being the closest stadium to where I live - and from reports it would appear to be our poorest performance of the season.)

Against Dundee we weren't great in the final third but some of our play in the first half was great, and Dundee have shown this season they're a good side. Our midfield were constantly on the move, you can see the benefit that European football has given them.

Away to Motherwell, bar the first 10 and last 20 minutes, we were head and shoulders above them and 2-1 was a false scoreline because in truth we should have handed out a doing.

There's a myth that we haven't had the bottle against Celtic. In all four games last season we actually had spells where we were the better team and on top of them.

Two things have let us down though - we've not been clinical (especially from set pieces) and we've not been fully concentrated for 90 minutes.

Really, we let Celtic off the hook four times last season.

Have we fixed that problem this season? Well, we've only conceded once in the league, however against Kairat we made the same mistake for their goal that we tended to make v Celtic. If Izaguirre is good going forward but sometimes a bit slack at the back, Logan is the same for us.

One thing in our favour is our starting XI is more settled than Celtic's. Deila has constantly reshuffled. Against Aberdeen they could have a defender making a debut, and with Ciftci now free to play he could be tempted to start him and leave Griffiths fresh for Ajax, which I think would be a boost as Griffiths is their best player. Armstrong likely being out is also a boost.

I'm pretty confident if Aberdeen can get in front in this one, we can keep it tight enough at the back to go on and win it. Some of our passing this season - much to do with the settled line-up - has been excellent and only once in our 11 games (and that was the very first one v Schendija) have we been pegged back from a winning position. I think we can manage the game well and watch Celtic lose their heads like they tend to do when things aren't going their way, but we must get that first goal. If Van Dijk goes and it's a new defensive partnership between Boyata and this new boy, we need to really test them early.

Apparently just over 2,000 tickets left so looking like a sell out.

Don't think I'm being harsh, I don't think we have hit top form in the league yet although I do think we have deserved to win every game but in every game we haven't really created a lot of chances which is a concern how bad our final ball has been.

After this weekends international woes, I am thoroughly looking forward to the Famous skelping rasellik and handing out a restorative doing to those players who have let Scotland down so badly over the last few days. Brown in particular looked like he was saving himself for this. Understandable considering that Celtic won't have a bigger game this season (now), but it is just disgraceful to see club put above country again. Scotland's Famous 3 Scotland's Shame 1

What's the Celtic fans' expectations on the CB pairing for this game?? With Blackett and the Croatian lad in, theres options with Boyata and, dare I say it, Mulgrew available.

I'd have assumed Boyata & Blackett would start.

Over the last couple of seasons Aberdeen have failed on a number of occasions due to their profligacy in front of goal, it is a recurring theme even in games they have dominated.

Against teams where they do dominate they generally get away with it, against Celtic they won't.

What's the Celtic fans' expectations on the CB pairing for this game?? With Blackett and the Croatian lad in, theres options with Boyata and, dare I say it, Mulgrew available.

I'd have assumed Boyata & Blackett would start.

Its a helluva big game to be starting with a virtually untried, new defence but with the way the fixtures have panned out combined with the international break RD doesnt really have much option, well he does but that would involve starting with Efe.....hmmmm...

So I'd imagine Simunovic will partner Boyata (who hasnt exactly filled me with confidence so far) with probably Janko at right back, left back will be the interesting call, Blackett has clearly been brought in to either replace Izzaguire or at least give competition for that position, although I'd like to have seen young Fergus Tiernan given a shot here at some point. I may be wrong but I thing Izzy may just get the nod here

Its a helluva big game to be starting with a virtually untried, new defence but with the way the fixtures have panned out combined with the international break RD doesnt really have much option, well he does but that would involve starting with Efe.....hmmmm...

So I'd imagine Simunovic will partner Boyata (who hasnt exactly filled me with confidence so far) with probably Janko at right back, left back will be the interesting call, Blackett has clearly been brought in to either replace Izzaguire or at least give competition for that position, although I'd like to have seen young Fergus Tiernan given a shot here at some point. I may be wrong but I thing Izzy may just get the nod here

Hadn't realised that Blackett was a LB as well as a CB. I didn't bother mentioning Efe haha, be quite happy to see him running around though. So yeah, LB is probably the main decision for you.

We had LB issues for a while but decided to sign the best one in the country. All fixed.

Yeah, bit of a gamble starting with an untried centre half pairing. How much did Boyata and Simunovic cost?

I thought Boyata was a free? Simunovic reported at anything between £3m and £6m depending on who was spinning the figures.

Aberdeen bottled it last season against Celtic. They seem pretty solid this season, as long as they can prevent a fast start from Celtic, then I think they've a good chance here. Celtic scoring a lot, but conceding a lot too. Quite looking forward to this game actually.

Aberdeen fans getting a wee bit carried away with themselves. A defeat for the sheep could bring about quite a few breakdowns.

Should be an exciting game though.

I tend to agree. No room for hubris here given recent encounters. A lot to be optimistic about but got to do the business first.

referees can play a big part - 1 McGinn, 2 Lustig.

Legitimate grievances but if we want to be taken seriously its time we stopped laying the blame at the refs door. If we want to be competing then we shouldn't allow ourselves to be done by marginal decisions.

The defending at that final corner is absolutely atrocious lets be honest.

Archived