Power corrupting?

mjw

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you not think that since government is a necessity that those who are in or desire to be in government to make moral judgements on your behalf should themselves display moral integrity?

Edit: I expect nothing more than another semantic juggling style response from the busted flush wannabe lawyer.

Do you not think that since government is a necessity that those who are in or desire to be in government to make moral judgements on your behalf should themselves display moral integrity?

Edit: I expect nothing more than another semantic juggling style response from the busted flush wannabe lawyer.

1. I don't accept the characterisation that governments make moral judgments on my behalf. They make judgments, some of which have a moral root, which they decide is right, on their own behalf, and hope that once every 5 years enough people agree with them to let them carry on doing more of the same.

2. I don't think that people in government have to be good people to make good decisions.

3. I am comfortable with people in government being thoroughly disreptuable people if they make good decisions.

1. I don't accept the characterisation that governments make moral judgments on my behalf. They make judgments, some of which have a moral root, which they decide is right, on their own behalf, and hope that once every 5 years enough people agree with them to let them carry on doing more of the same.

2. I don't think that people in government have to be good people to make good decisions.

3. I am comfortable with people in government being thoroughly disreptuable people if they make good decisions.

1. Most normal people would regard that as a distinction without a difference and just more weaseling from our resident pedantic pr1ck.

2 & 3. That speaks more about your own character and lack of moral compass than anything else.

I've enjoyed Ad Lib's comments on this. I don't agree with many but they are very well put and thought provoking, which makes a welcome change to most.

Me too, however I think he is providing P&B with a real insight into why the Lib Dems have become an absolute political irrelevance.

All this " i expect politicians to lie..." chat is quite incredible given that he is openly representing a political party on a public forum.

If I suspected there was any dubiety over a politicians integrity then I simply wouldn't vote for them, ever. IMO It doesn't really matter what they promise you if you can't trust them. I am quite amazed that someone who aspires to be a politician has the polar opposite view.

All this " i expect politicians to lie..." chat is quite incredible given that he is openly representing a political party on a public forum.

Ad Lib to give a 16 paragraph, 3000 word response on why it's not correct to assume he is openly representing a political party on a public forum in 3, 2, 1......

Ad Lib to give a 16 paragraph, 3000 word response on why it's not correct to assume he is openly representing a political party on a public forum in 3, 2, 1......

Just the one sentence will do:

"Posting my personal views on a football forum of which I was a member many years before I was even a member of the Liberal Democrats is not "representing" them."

Just the one sentence will do:

"Posting my personal views on a football forum of which I was a member many years before I was even a member of the Liberal Democrats is not "representing" them."

Justify it that way if you wish but everyone on here knows you stood as a LD candidate at a General Election. When I read your posts I associate your views with the political party you represent.

I have no moral objection to the legalisation of heroin, cocaine, crack, crystal meth or incest. There are good instrumental reasons for placing regulatory controls on the supply of those substances that are not directed by personal morality, but by the harm principle and the impact of relationships of power subverting the freedom of individuals to make their own informed choices, but I do not believe it is for the state to say that the consumption of those substances or the engaging in those acts is in and of itself immoral. As long as no one is being coerced or exploited it is none of your, my or the government's business what people snort, smoke, inject or who they share a bed with.

I also believe in strong free speech protections, including the right of horrible people to say hateful things without criminal sanction. The only restrictions on speech I believe are necessary are defamation laws and a recognition of incitement for other criminal acts.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do the Liberal Democrats give their Parliamentary Candidates the freedom to expound such views on the legalisation of class A drugs and the abolition of hate speech laws?

Do those views contradict official party policies, especially those in the manifesto on which you stood for election in May?

Justify it that way if you wish but everyone on here knows you stood as a LD candidate at a General Election. When I read your posts I associate your views with the political party you represent.

Then you're an idiot.

Then you're an idiot.

Ad LIB there, Liberal Democrat PLP for East Renfrewshire, member of the Liberal Democtrats and champion of Liberal Democrat policies, expressing surprise that people associate him with the Lib Dems.

Archived