Power corrupting?

mjw

Thanks for the clarification.

Do the Liberal Democrats give their Parliamentary Candidates the freedom to expound such views on the legalisation of class A drugs and the abolition of hate speech laws?

Do those views contradict official party policies, especially those in the manifesto on which you stood for election in May?

1. Yes they respect that freedom, because we are a party that accepts difference, encourages freedom of thought and expression. We are Liberals. We don't take diktat from central office, unlike SNP and Labour candidates nuzzling in the trough. I was also vocal against the renewal of Trident on the grounds it's a fucking waste of money despite official policy being a compromise of partial renewal.

2. Some of my views are stronger on certain issues than would be reflected in the specific policies in the manifesto, but they are mostly consistent with the policy values subscribed to in our constitution and in our conference's policy motions. On drug laws and freedom of expression, however, they are pretty consistent. I was completely open with the electorate about both, even being shouted down by one of the Tory candidate's entourage when I said at a hustings in Newton Mearns that criminalising cannabis was actively undermining the safety and health of those consuming it, costing police resources and time without reducing the problem.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ad LIB there, Liberal Democrat PLP for East Renfrewshire, member of the Liberal Democtrats and champion of Liberal Democrat policies, expressing surprise that people associate him with the Lib Dems.

My username has nothing to do with Liberalism. It's Ad Lib as in the Latin for extemporisation. I'm fairly sure it even preceded by some time my association with the Lib Dems.

Do those views contradict official party policies, especially those in the manifesto on which you stood for election in May?

I'd be incredibly suspicious of any politician who claimed their views matched exactly what their party's manifesto said.

I'd be amazed if even the SNP forelock-tucking non-thinkers pretended that was the case. I mean obviously they'd continue to churn out their daily Twitter output passed to them by central office in a Stepford MPs type of way they currently do.

I'd be incredibly suspicious of any politician who claimed their views matched exactly what their party's manifesto said.

I'd be amazed if even the SNP forelock-tucking non-thinkers pretended that was the case. I mean obviously they'd continue to churn out their daily Twitter output passed to them by central office in a Stepford MPs type of way they currently do.

^^^ white knighting

It does, you were a Tory when you first used it.

A quick check suggests it was a matter of days after the 2010 election. By then I was unaligned but anti-Labour and had voted Lib Dem. I only joined in 2011 though.

Wow! I'm new here, do, please be kind to me. I'm really interested in politics & football so decided to visit the politics thread first.

I've read a few threads, And from what I can gather Ad-lib stood as a candidate in the last GE?

Wow! I'm new here, do, please be kind to me. I'm really interested in politics & football so decided to visit the politics thread first.

I've read a few threads, And from what I can gather Ad-lib stood as a candidate in the last GE?

^^^

Alias IMO.

Stood and lost his deposit. He's been slowly losing the plot ever sine (and he didn't have too much of the plot to begin with).

Then you're an idiot.

There is no need for people on here to know you are a member and parliamentary candidate for the Lib Dems, you CHOSE to tell us that in the run up to the election. Obviously I'm not expecting every opinion of yours to completely sync up with official Lib Dem policy, however when you tell us that you don't expect politicians to tell the truth then I'm obviously going to associate that lack of integrity with both yourself and your political party.

Given that it seems to also be the opinion of your only Scottish MP who has been publicly supported in his current predicament by your Scottish Leader at Holyrood, I'm fairly comfortable that the official position of the Scottish Lib Dems is that we should expect their politicians to lie from time to time.

The real idiots are the handful of folk who still vote for them.

There is no need for people on here to know you are a member and parliamentary candidate for the Lib Dems, you CHOSE to tell us that in the run up to the election. Obviously I'm not expecting every opinion of yours to completely sync up with official Lib Dem policy, however when you tell us that you don't expect politicians to tell the truth then I'm obviously going to associate that lack of integrity with both yourself and your political party.

Given that it seems to also be the opinion of your only Scottish MP who has been publicly supported in his current predicament by your Scottish Leader at Holyrood, I'm fairly comfortable that the official position of the Scottish Lib Dems is that we should expect their politicians to lie from time to time.

The real idiots are the handful of folk who still vote for them.

1. My candidacy for the Liberal Democrats was not disclosed by me on this forum. It was disclosed by other posters before I said anything on the matter. The knowledge of my candidacy was therefore unrelated to anything I said on this forum.

2. Saying that I don't expect politicians to tell the truth doesn't mean I lack integrity. It just means I have low expectations of the personal moral standards of politicians relative to the expectations of others. It has no bearing on how I personally conduct myself in public or private life, thus no bearing on my integrity, good or bad.

3. There is literally no good reason to associate my personal views expressed on a football forum with my party's views on how politicians should conduct themselves. I don't sepak for them. I speak for me. As a candidate I spoke for me, not for them. At most I spoke on behalf of East Renfrewshire Lib Dems. I did so and only did so in my public statements between my selection and the closing of the polls.

4. I certainly don't speak for Alistair Carmichael. He speaks for himself. It does not follow from anything he has said or done that he agrees with me that it's not a big deal that politicians are pathological liars and that lying isn't a problem as long as there are means of calling bullshit.

5. The "official position" of the Scottish Liberal Democrats on any question of policy is a Conference motion. The "official position" on anything else is that set-out by the leader or by official party channels. I am neither Willie Rennie nor Clifton Terrace.

If you are neither Carmichael, Cifton Terrace, or indeed busted flush avenue, what you have demonstrated in previous comments is that you find it perfectly acceptable for politicians to lie to the electorate, I'm sorry, you said the electorate should EXPECT their politicians to lie. As a former PPC you should be ashamed that you had the audacity to ask anyone to vote for you.

This is my opinion, and I believe the opinion of the majority of the vote givers.

The fact you think differently maybe demonstrates why you received so few votes.

You can try to twist your language anyway you like, it will be interpreted as utter contempt to the people you sought to represent.

I wish you luck in your next foray into public life, and I would be saying the same comments to a representative of ANY party.

If you are neither Carmichael, Cifton Terrace, or indeed busted flush avenue, what you have demonstrated in previous comments is that you find it perfectly acceptable for politicians to lie to the electorate, I'm sorry, you said the electorate should EXPECT their politicians to lie. As a former PPC you should be ashamed that you had the audacity to ask anyone to vote for you.

This is my opinion, and I believe the opinion of the majority of the vote givers.

The fact you think differently maybe demonstrates why you received so few votes.

You can try to twist your language anyway you like, it will be interpreted as utter contempt to the people you sought to represent.

I wish you luck in your next foray into public life, and I would be saying the same comments to a representative of ANY party.

I expect Partick Thistle to be bad at football. It doesn't mean I'm happy about it. It doesn't mean I want them to be bad. But I know that it is inevitable. Accepting that Partick Thistle are going to be bad makes my life better. It means I don't get as disappointed when they lose, and I am more pleasantly surprised when they win. This makes me a happier and more grounded person.

Expecting the impossible is delusion.

I expect Partick Thistle to be bad at football. It doesn't mean I'm happy about it. It doesn't mean I want them to be bad. But I know that it is inevitable. Accepting that Partick Thistle are going to be bad makes my life better. It means I don't get as disappointed when they lose, and I am more pleasantly surprised when they win. This makes me a happier and more grounded person.

Expecting the impossible is delusion.

What has Partick Thistle got to do with you on this forum?

Do you represent their views?

Do they represent yours?

Do you expect Partick Thistle to lie to the public?

Do you think Partick Thistle would be OK with Alistair Carmichael?

How do you think Partick Thistle feel about you representing them on a football forum?

Do you think Partick Thistle have integrity?

Do you think Partick Thistle thinks you have integrity?

Do you have low expectations of the moral standards of Partick Thistle?

Do you speak for Partick Thistle?

Do they speak for you?

What is your "official position" on Partick Thistle?

1. My candidacy for the Liberal Democrats was not disclosed by me on this forum. It was disclosed by other posters before I said anything on the matter. The knowledge of my candidacy was therefore unrelated to anything I said on this forum.

2. Saying that I don't expect politicians to tell the truth doesn't mean I lack integrity. It just means I have low expectations of the personal moral standards of politicians relative to the expectations of others. It has no bearing on how I personally conduct myself in public or private life, thus no bearing on my integrity, good or bad.

3. There is literally no good reason to associate my personal views expressed on a football forum with my party's views on how politicians should conduct themselves. I don't sepak for them. I speak for me. As a candidate I spoke for me, not for them. At most I spoke on behalf of East Renfrewshire Lib Dems. I did so and only did so in my public statements between my selection and the closing of the polls.

4. I certainly don't speak for Alistair Carmichael. He speaks for himself. It does not follow from anything he has said or done that he agrees with me that it's not a big deal that politicians are pathological liars and that lying isn't a problem as long as there are means of calling bullshit.

5. The "official position" of the Scottish Liberal Democrats on any question of policy is a Conference motion. The "official position" on anything else is that set-out by the leader or by official party channels. I am neither Willie Rennie nor Clifton Terrace.

I'd put the spade away if I was you chief, seriously.

It's also worth observing that the rejection was referred to by the Herald as being "unanimous". It is highly unlikely that only Labour sits on the NLC planning committee. The only other major party on NLC is the SNP, and the remainder is a bunch of Independents. Put simply, SNP councillors probably also voted against the application for this project.

From what I am hearing SNP councillors who previously voted against this have now changed their minds and support the application.

1. What has Partick Thistle got to do with you on this forum?

2. Do you represent their views?

3. Do they represent yours?

4. Do you expect Partick Thistle to lie to the public?

5. Do you think Partick Thistle would be OK with Alistair Carmichael?

6. How do you think Partick Thistle feel about you representing them on a football forum?

7. Do you think Partick Thistle have integrity?

8. Do you think Partick Thistle thinks you have integrity?

9. Do you have low expectations of the moral standards of Partick Thistle?

10. Do you speak for Partick Thistle?

11. Do they speak for you?

1. "My Team: Partick Thistle"

2. No.

3. No.

4. Yes.

5. No idea.

6. I don't.

7. No.

8. Partick Thistle is not a sentient being. It cannot think.

9. Yes.

10. No.

11. No.

12. What is your "official position" on Partick Thistle?

That they're going down.

Archived