Players who routinely get selected despite not proving their worth.

TheMessiah

Did someone suggest ziggy Gordon was an international quality right back? Some of the posts on here have been ridiculous on the last couple of days.

Morrison and Hutton were two of our best players last night, Morrison is comfortably our best ball playing midfielder.

People seem to think we have a striker somewhere who would have given one of the best centre back partnerships in the world a game last night? Fletcher done an okay job considering what he was up against last night. Griffiths, Naismith, Rhodes or Martin( who was awful when he came on) would have done no better at all. Yes he was poor against Georgia but from what I recall he had one single chance created for him in the ball from Robertson and that wasn't exactly a bread and butter finish.

We beat Poland and we go to the play offs. Let's not overreact here.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steven Fletcher is useful in games against Germany and other nations when we, realistically, aren't looking to win. Against lesser teams, he doesn't really seem to fit into the team.

James Forrest should be nowhere near the Scotland squad (or indeed, the Celtic matchday squad). However I'm not entirely convinced that Gary Mackay-Steven is worth a call-up ahead of, say, Matt Phillips. And I would have Johnny Russell starting ahead of Forrest and Mackay-Steven.

I'm not a big fan of Scott Brown and would happily see him dropped for the Poland game. McArthur is a better player than Brown and he's a couple of years younger than him.

Hutton can't cross a ball to save himself but he's reasonably steady at the back. The suggestion that Paul Caddis or Ziggy Gordon would be an improvement on him seems bizarre to me.

It doesn't appear to have been mentioned on this thread (albeit, I've just skimmed most of it) but Gordon should be starting ahead of Marshall. He's a significantly better goalkeeper.

his distrust of Andy Robertson when he's our best defender by a couple of trillion lightyears is absolutely infuriating

Tbh, I am kind of on board with this, certainly for last night. I think Robertson is great, and will be a fantastic international until his legs inevitably fall off, but with the sheer physicality of the Germans last night, in terms of pace, height and strength, I think they'd have run over the top of him. Robertson has a lot of great attributes for us, but for me, Mulgrew was the right choice last night.

Tbh, I am kind of on board with this, certainly for last night. I think Robertson is great, and will be a fantastic international until his legs inevitably fall off, but with the sheer physicality of the Germans last night, in terms of pace, height and strength, I think they'd have run over the top of him. Robertson has a lot of great attributes for us, but for me, Mulgrew was the right choice last night.

I didn't think he was the right choice and said that before kick off, but whether he was the right choice or not one thing is clear, he had an absolute mare last night.

Did someone suggest ziggy Gordon was an international quality right back? Some of the posts on here have been ridiculous on the last couple of days.

Morrison and Hutton were two of our best players last night, Morrison is comfortably our best ball playing midfielder.

People seem to think we have a striker somewhere who would have given one of the best centre back partnerships in the world a game last night? Fletcher done an okay job considering what he was up against last night. Griffiths, Naismith, Rhodes or Martin( who was awful when he came on) would have done no better at all. Yes he was poor against Georgia but from what I recall he had one single chance created for him in the ball from Robertson and that wasn't exactly a bread and butter finish.

We beat Poland and we go to the play offs. Let's not overreact here.

Not if Ireland beat Germany and then fail to beat Poland we don`t.

Obvioulsy very high chance we will make play-offs if we get 6 points but not certain.

He was badly at fault for the 3rd but which of the other 2 are you blaming him for? The one where McArthur dived in and got nowhere near muller and the defence stood off him or the 2nd where maloney was nowhere to be seen as their right back fired in a shot straight at marshall who somehow flapped at it straight to their player.

watvh the first goal again, brown gets sucked out of position for no reason, and when mccarthur misses the pass, muller runs right into the big gaping hole that brown just vacated seconds earlier

mccarthur and brown were both at fault,

Mulgrew was the right choice last night.

except he wasnt, offered nothing going forward, set pieces were poor and horribly caught out trying to play centre half for the german second goal

i said it in another thread, but if roberston isnt fit then why not try lee wallace, he is bang in form the now, scoring goals and his all round play is good, and is an actual left back, mulgrew isnt, he's been honking at full back his whole career and only looked good at centre half or midfield

except he wasnt, offered nothing going forward, set pieces were poor and horribly caught out trying to play centre half for the german second goal

i said it in another thread, but if roberston isnt fit then why not try lee wallace, he is bang in form the now, scoring goals and his all round play is good, and is an actual left back, mulgrew isnt, he's been honking at full back his whole career and only looked good at centre half or midfield

Mulgrew had a mare last night, I wouldn't pick him. But considering the first goal came from a free kick given for a foul on him, which should actually have been a penalty and the second came from a corner earned by Mulgrew, it's plain wrong to say he "offered nothing going forward".

It would be pointless to chuck them in against Poland. The issue there is it should have been done ages ago. We should have talented young guys sitting on 15/20 caps ready to come in and change our fortunes.

Instead we're depending on 32 year old Shaun Maloney and 4 goals in 23 hero Steven Fletcher.

Go on then, which 'talented young guys' should be sitting on 15-20 caps at the moment?

This should be good :lol:

I don't know what the answer is but it isn't him! He has been playing against awful opposition for the last 3 years, Stepping up to play against Muller/Ozil and the like would have been a disaster.

It's hard to take this article especially seriously with these two conclusions being the mainstay for it.

Apparently qualification is now beyond the realms of probability. So presuming nobody is saying we should expect Ireland to beat Germany that's effectively saying it's beyond the realms of probability that we can beat a Polish side at Hampden when we've beaten and drawn with them away from home within the past two years. Lewandowski isn't the best striker in the world either unless Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Suarez have all left the planet when I wasn't looking.

And the wholly spurious conclusion that we need more SPFL players in the side without any actual evidence for it is a nonsense.

Messi and Ronaldo aren't strikers tbf...

I don't know what the answer is but it isn't him! He has been playing against awful opposition for the last 3 years, Stepping up to play against Muller/Ozil and the like would have been a disaster.

how do you know though thats the thing, robertson went from playing at queens to playing in the EPL in 2 years, united had no qualms about throwing an amateur player into the SPL right away

and given that wallace is match fit and an actual left back, it would have been a decent shout given his form

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but why was Charlie Adam not in the squad?

The guy divides opinion but he's got to be our best ball player and the only guy with natural talent. Not player for the Germany games but definitely for the likes of Georgia.

And if Craig Gordon is fit he must play. Simples

One thing we have to remember is we were playing the world champions last night and some of their football was a joy to watch but we were makers of our own downfall also. The Germans at all times took the ball down and passed it , very rarely launching it upfield. Every time the ball went back to Marshall the first thought was to hoof it away. Never once did he look to play it out to his defence which wasn't helped by Hanley and Martin not showing for it. I'm sorry but if these guys are international footballers they should have the bottle to take the ball of the keeper and start things off. For me Fletcher is not a loan striker. Yes he can hold things in and his touch is good but watch the game back and see how many times the German defenders get in front of him to win loose balls, watch how many times the Scottish full backs get the ball with the only option to go up the line and he's no where to be seen and watch the build up to the third goal, Fletcher had a couple of chances to get on the ball but was flat footed and lazy. Now I'm sorry but he's a well paid premiership player but his work rate reminds me of Chris Boyd in the same role for Rangers. Naysmith or Griffiths would have ran their asses into the ground and then some for the team given the same chance.

Unfortunately James Forrest doesn't seem to have improved since breaking into the Celtic team as a youngster, he is still making the same mistakes positionally, he makes the wrong decisions when on the ball in a forward area, still no end product and still can't defend. I remember seeing him when he first made the break through and was thinking due to his pace once he improves in those areas he could be areal star. He has just stagnated and getting picked on his potential which I don't think he will ever fulfill now. Mulgrew was terrible last night also and I can't understand why Wallace doesn't get in the squad.

I did think Morrison was outstanding and was the only player who kept his head and the ball and held his own against the German superstars.

Come Strachan be realistic and realise we won't qualify and freshen up the squad now with the WC in mind

Archived