Stoolmen vs Slaggies - 12/09/15

A fever pitch of excitement in the run up to this one with no match thread in place yet. With Alfie Lasley now having scored more goals than Carswell (source thisgraeme) I think he's a cert to start in midfield with his dad and provide more presence than Carswell and Taylor combined.

In actuality I think Ross County may finish top six this season and will probably have too much for us. 1-2

I have no idea how we're going to line up whatsoever so will hazard a guess of.

Ripley

Kennedy Laing McManus Chalmers

Lasley Grimshaw

Ainsworth McDonald Johnson

Moult

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glasgow.

The obvious answer, and what we normally do, to be honest. But I'm on a tighter schedule this time and heading direct from Edinburgh on the train is substantially quicker (and cheaper) than going via Glasgow. I've been to a Wetherspoon's in the centre of time which was serviceable but wondered if there was something less Wetherspoony available.

I'm advocating the 433 we seemed to be trying out first half against Bolton with Lasley playing as a regista. It gives cover to the two centre halves, provides insurance against players breaking beyond our midfield and most importantly seems to encourage us to actually play through midfield to feet. It also allows one of the central two to break forward (we'll call it the Pearson role) and not leave the centre of the midfield exposed, as has often been the case with our central players in a 442 or 4411 (when McDonald has been in his "attacking midfielder" role).

I'd like to see Kennedy and Laing play since even the manager eventually clocked that a team as dire as Killie eventually worked out that Josh Law is a weak link at right back. I am fairly certain that it'll be Law that starts though.

Moult's scored 3 goals in his last 3 so I'd imagine he'll be starting. I've said before that we really need to get beyond this whole shoehorning McDonald into midfield lark. He's looked off the pace the past few games and has been frequently short with his passing, as anonymous as Taylor's been I'd say he still looks a more natural fit in a midfield role than McDonald does.

Ripley

Kennedy - Laing - McManus - Chalmers

Lasley

Grimshaw - Taylor

Ainsworth --------------------------Thomas

Moult

I've been to a Wetherspoon's in the centre of time which was serviceable but wondered if there was something less Wetherspoony available.

Go to The New Century, Motherwell town centre side of the Police station. It's OK and quite close. You can sit out the back if is nice, if not it's got a telly. Strongbow on draft and big Maigret behind the bar, what's not to like.

I think this is finally gonna be the league game we score more than one goal. However County have had a decent start so I'm gonna predict a 2-2 draw.

I do feel we're gonna give someone a doing in the next few games but not this one.

What on earth is a 'regista'?

it's like a mix of a defensive midfielder and deep lying playmaker. not as reductive or overtly defensive as the 'Makelele' role as it's not so much about breaking up play.

Basically it's the role that your Pirlo played for Juve with Vidal and Pogba in front of him (clearly not likening our midfield to theirs).

Verratti is another good example.

Can you use Scottish examples

We have a registra at my work. Bloody good Doctor and will make a fine Consultant one day, mark my words.

Getting my priorities right here, but is the social club near the ground still closed? If so, where would Motherwellians recommend for food and drink prior to the match?

I was shitfaced last Saturday night and ended up in the Windmillhill Bar. It was alright actually.

Can you use Scottish examples

Aberdeen vs us until Flood had to go off injured. More of a traditional holding role but they had a midfield 3 of Jack, Flood and McLean with either Flood or Jack playing slightly behind the 2 central midfielders and a front 3 of McGinn, Goodwillie and Hayes.

Edit: as chin-stroking pseudo-intellectualising as the notion of registas, enganches, trequartistas, false 9s, pivots and double pivots may be this is a pretty good article: http://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/04/19/the-relationship-between-age-and-the-regista/. Whether or not it's the sort of thing that can be applied to the Scottish game who knows but I guess most teams have taken the 4231 on board.

Having watched the highlights of the u20s there and given the suggestion that the u20s mimic the first team systems then it definitely looks like a 433 is something that we're working on as you can definitely see a midfield triangle with one sitting in front of the two centre backs.

Aberdeen vs us until Flood had to go off injured. More of a traditional holding role but they had a midfield 3 of Jack, Flood and McLean with either Flood or Jack playing slightly behind the 2 central midfielders and a front 3 of McGinn, Goodwillie and Hayes.

Edit: as chin-stroking pseudo-intellectualising as the notion of registas, enganches, trequartistas, false 9s, pivots and double pivots may be this is a pretty good article: http://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/04/19/the-relationship-between-age-and-the-regista/. Whether or not it's the sort of thing that can be applied to the Scottish game who knows but I guess most teams have taken the 4231 on board.

Having watched the highlights of the u20s there and given the suggestion that the u20s mimic the first team systems then it definitely looks like a 433 is something that we're working on as you can definitely see a midfield triangle with one sitting in front of the two centre backs.

Granted I'm approaching my dotage, some would argue in it, and was brought up in the era of leather bladders and when the qualification for being a centre half was a diagnosis as a psychopath, but is it possible to overthink a game where the aim is to kick a ball between two posts more time than your opponents?

Granted I'm approaching my dotage, some would argue in it, and was brought up in the era of leather bladders and when the qualification for being a centre half was a diagnosis as a psychopath, but is it possible to overthink a game where the aim is to kick a ball between two posts more time than your opponents?

Of course it is. The multitude of books and blogs detailing the minutiae of the game is testament to that as of course is the culture around the Football Manager series. Nevertheless as much as at its heart it's a game with a very basic and simple premise it's also a game that started with inside forwards and half backs and seven and five men forward lines and as tactical systems have naturally evolved so too has the language of the game. You don't need to have read Inverting The Pyramid to know what someone's talking about when they mention the #10 role for example.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Looking forward to getting back to Fir Park after the international break. Last home game against Kilmarnock was very much a low-key affair with neither goalkeeper having much to do, but Ross County should provide a stronger test.

As for the line up, I'd like to see Watt given a chance instead of Josh at right back. Didn't think Thomas was quite up to his impact sub standard when he started against Kilmarnock but definitely deserves to stay in the team. Don't know much about Grimshaw but he surely has to better than Taylor by default.

---------------------Ripley---------------------

Watt------Laing------McManus------Hammell

Ainsworth----Lasley---Grimshaw----Thomas

-------------------McDonald-------------------

---------------------Moult---------------------

It's a difficult one to call; one good thing is that Jackson Irvine will be coming into the game on the back of a trip from Tajikistan on international duty and will hopefully be feeling it as he's such an influential player for County. If pressed I'd go with a 1-1 draw.

IIRC, last season (end of March/beginning of April) Irvine played in three "Olyroo" qualifiers over 5 days - all in Taiwan - only to come back and score against Dundee United four days later. The only way to defeat Jackson Irvine is in a similar way to how they destroyed the T1000 in Terminator 2.

IIRC, last season (end of March/beginning of April) Irvine played in three "Olyroo" qualifiers over 5 days - all in Taiwan - only to come back and score against Dundee United four days later. The only way to defeat Jackson Irvine is in a similar way to how they destroyed the T1000 in Terminator 2.

Excellent, they closed the steelworks years ago.

Archived