Scotland squad face Poland & Gibraltar

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many competitive minutes has he had?

Jail him for not scoring? What a slaver :lol:

It's clear you have some kind of man crush on Rhodes, sadly for you and us he just isn't up to it at international level.

I certainly don't think he's had enough competitive minutes (or minutes in general) to claim that he's had 'plenty of chances' for Scotland? Is he good enough? I don't know....probably not in the system that we currently play but I reckon it's harsh in the extreme to lambast the guy for not having done enough with the very limited chances he's had.

In a similar vein, Ross McCormack is another who I've always felt hasn't been given enough of a chance to show he's capable and hasn't really been out of form since his lull when he signed for Fulham. He's a workhorse and has an eye for goal into the bargain. Certainly a better option than Chris Martin for me.

Is everyone forgetting that naismith was our worst offender for missed chances against Georgia in Glasgow. He missed 3 absolute sitters, each set up by fletcher ironically. Revisionism at its finest

Is your argument against Naismith that he missed a few sitters a year ago?

I'd point out that Naismith hasn't had a single appearance at centre forward for Scotland since (ably supported by Snodgrass) he was man of the match at centre forward as we outclassed Croatia. Naismith offers awareness and a level of movement that Fletcher doesn't and our inability to create space or stretch the defence was the biggest factor in our failure to break Georgia down.

Even if you argue (I'd contest it) that Fletcher's a better finisher than Naismith so you'd rather a chance fell to him, we're far more likely to create chances with Naismith's movement creating space for the three behind him. That's not to say Fletcher hasn't done his bit creatively earlier in the campaign but he's had two absolute shockers in a row as we've really struggled to create chances: Naismith needs to be the lone striker for this one.

Is your argument against Naismith that he missed a few sitters a year ago?

I'd point out that Naismith hasn't had a single appearance at centre forward for Scotland since (ably supported by Snodgrass) he was man of the match at centre forward as we outclassed Croatia. Naismith offers awareness and a level of movement that Fletcher doesn't and our inability to create space or stretch the defence was the biggest factor in our failure to break Georgia down.

Even if you argue (I'd contest it) that Fletcher's a better finisher than Naismith so you'd rather a chance fell to him, we're far more likely to create chances with Naismith's movement creating space for the three behind him. That's not to say Fletcher hasn't done his bit creatively earlier in the campaign but he's had two absolute shockers in a row as we've really struggled to create chances: Naismith needs to be the lone striker for this one.

No I just think Naismith plays his best football behind a striker and Fletcher is better with his back to goal. If Snodgrass was available for the next 2 games I could see the point but he isn't so I just can't see why we would move Naismith forward to bring a lesser player in behind.

Granted Fletcher has been worryingly poor but I still think I'd rather have naismith in an attacking midfield role. You've even said Naismith offers an ability to create space and get in behind. Who would provide that ability to get up in support and beyond Naismith if had to hold the ball up and bring others into play? I think I would rather have Naismith supporting Martin or Griffiths than play Naismith up front.

The only reason I keep bringing up the missed chances is because some people have said that naismith is more likely to score goals therefore he should be the striker, which not only is a terrible argument, but is debatable anyway

I would never advocate sticking Rhodes straight into the startin eleven but I still believe he has to be in the squad just as an extra option off the bench. Martin has had a very similar last few years and has been giving a good few chances for Scotland under Strachan. While I wouldn't say he should never get another chance, I feel it's time we gave Rhodes that chance, especially when there's a good chance we might be crying out for a goal late on against Poland

Using the Gerogia game at Ibrox as an example, we had so much possession around the box and were crying out for a poacher to just take a chance. In the end, we scraped a win thanks to an own goal and could have blown it late on when they had a few chances.

Yes, Fletcher suits the system we play best but when that system doesn't work, as it didn't in Tblisi, we need to have something else in reserve because otherwise, teams will find it too easy to play against us and we will get nowhere

Wait, what system? The hope we don't concede and some how bundle the ball into the goal by any means necessary system?

I'd cry and cancel the Gibraltar trip if Rhodes started upfront against Poland on his own. He's too attacking minded to suit this system Strachan plays. Until we produce someone better, Fletcher is our best striker at the minute with Naismith in behind him.

You do realise he plays up front on his own for Blackburn, right?

Gallagher hits the nil on the head. Strachan is too stubborn and that is why we won't get a result against Poland and it is why we won't even manage 3rd place, never mind qualify.

Gallagher hits the nil on the head. Strachan is too stubborn and that is why we won't get a result against Poland and it is why we won't even manage 3rd place, never mind qualify.

KG's view seems quite balanced: he doesn't call for Rhodes and McCormack to suddenly be thrown in against Poland from the off, but argues that we should always have a goalscorer in our squad. Though you could, I suppose, argue that WGS sees Griffiths as the goalscorer.

KG's view seems quite balanced: he doesn't call for Rhodes and McCormack to suddenly be thrown in against Poland from the off, but argues that we should always have a goalscorer in our squad. Though you could, I suppose, argue that WGS sees Griffiths as the goalscorer.

Yeah, disagree with his view on Griffiths. I get the feeling he'll use him, like he has, the last 20 minutes type striker with pace.

Is it tomorrow the squad is announced, or this week?

With the Gibraltar game in mind as much as anything, I would be shocked if Rhodes isn't picked. He is on form and has a good record in the lower leagues of England. If we get a good result v Poland, I would expect us to take a few off Gibraltar anyway, but would feel more comfortable going into that game with Rhodes up front than Fletcher, despite his hat trick in the game at Hampden.

With the Gibraltar game in mind as much as anything, I would be shocked if Rhodes isn't picked. He is on form and has a good record in the lower leagues of England. If we get a good result v Poland, I would expect us to take a few off Gibraltar anyway, but would feel more comfortable going into that game with Rhodes up front than Fletcher, despite his hat trick in the game at Hampden.

I see where you're coming from, but any one of our strikers - and our midfielders - should be good enough to take goals off of Gibraltar. If we're going into the Gibraltar game with something to play for, then we'll have gotten a good result against Poland, and confidence should be high. Then we play, if permitting, a similar side and we should steamroller Gibraltar and look to Warsaw for what happens there. But then, should we go out and get beat next Thursday, then I probably couldn't care less who plays against Gibraltar. Play Craig Gordon up front for all it matters.

Take it the squad comes out today?

Where you hearing that? Haven't seen any mention of it.

I see where you're coming from, but any one of our strikers - and our midfielders - should be good enough to take goals off of Gibraltar. If we're going into the Gibraltar game with something to play for, then we'll have gotten a good result against Poland, and confidence should be high. Then we play, if permitting, a similar side and we should steamroller Gibraltar and look to Warsaw for what happens there. But then, should we go out and get beat next Thursday, then I probably couldn't care less who plays against Gibraltar. Play Craig Gordon up front for all it matters.

Where you hearing that? Haven't seen any mention of it.

Just guessing as it is usually after the round of domestic games that are played roughly 2 weeks before the international fixtures.

Archived