Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Andy Murray back in action around midnight tonight in Washington against American Mackenzie MacDonald. If he wins he faces Kyle Edmund in Round 2. He says he feels better on the hard courts than he did on grass, suppose we'll find out tonight.

Just watched the highlights there, you could see at the end how much the win meant to him.  Hopefully this is him fit now, and the more matches he plays, the sharper he'll get.

IMG_0055.jpg
Welcome back Andy!

Movement was actually remarkably good considering the injury he’s had, probably still in the top 15 on tour for movement.

The main concern was actually the power he generated. A lot of the time his shots lacked pace and where Punished by McDonald. This is either down to poor timing or lack of hip rotation into the shots, given that his depth was poor and he’s been out for so long, timing seems the more likely issue.

Edmund will beat him I think at this stage. Will be lucky to get as many games as he did at Eastbourne as this surface should sit up for Edmund’s forehand nicely.

IMG_0055.thumb.jpg.ab0b4809a7e8d79c04900ee9eceabd6b.jpg
Welcome back Andy!

Movement was actually remarkably good considering the injury he’s had, probably still in the top 15 on tour for movement.

The main concern was actually the power he generated. A lot of the time his shots lacked pace and where Punished by McDonald. This is either down to poor timing or lack of hip rotation into the shots, given that his depth was poor and he’s been out for so long, timing seems the more likely issue.

Edmund will beat him I think at this stage. Will be lucky to get as many games as he did at Eastbourne as this surface should sit up for Edmund’s forehand nicely.

That’s a pretty good summary. The only thing I’d add to that, is his serve was miles off the standard needed to compete at the top end.

Although, as you said, it can easily be a timing issue which will come with time. I thought his depth of shot varied, if he can at least keep the ball deep, he’ll be competitive.

I thought MacDonald had some absolute storming shots. I think Edmund will hit through him easy enough at this stage. Although if he was to nick a win, he could go quite deep.