Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Just saw the result, great score. I'll catch the re-run tonight at half 7. I take it Murray was pretty aggressive then?

Good point McKee - the crowds have been shocking.

Watched the final this morning. Some of Murray's shots were breathtaking, but he was certainly helped by possibly the worst display I've ever seen from Federer.

Federer was honking. Almost like the way he played against Del Potro in the US open final last season. Its a pity Murray hasn't run into him in that sort of nick in a grand slam final yet. :P

f**k off China, you don't deserve MS events.

No doubt that it has something do to with the ATP making f**k loads of money. Am I right on saying that the Paris Masters used to take place around this team of year? IMO, they should re-introduce the Hamburg Masters, and play it now, instead of playing masters events in Asia.

Didn't see the match due to me being a lazy b*****d, and fast asleep. Saw the highlights on SSN, and Murray won some fantastic points. In all honesty, Federer and Nadal don't try as hard in these events, as they do in the slams, hence another Murray victory.

Federer was honking. Almost like the way he played against Del Potro in the US open final last season. Its a pity Murray hasn't run into him in that sort of nick in a grand slam final yet. tongue.gif

If murray just stays agressive and just realises he's better than these guys when he attacks he will win majors galore ...no one can live with him when he stays on the attack!!!

If murray just stays agressive and just realises he's better than these guys when he attacks he will win majors galore ...no one can live with him when he stays on the attack!!!

Good to see you know as little about tennis as you do about football.

Murray wasn't overly aggressive on Sunday morning. He just carried on giving the Federer the ball and he would make an unforced error. Murray has played better against Federer and lost. However he has now beaten Federer in the last two finals and if that doesn't give him belief he can do it in a Slam nothing ever will.

Federer was a massive favourite against Murray, you could've had about 11/5 on Murray winning. That's the shortest price Federer has been against Murray since they played in Cincinnati in 2006.

Federer was honking. Almost like the way he played against Del Potro in the US open final last season. Its a pity Murray hasn't run into him in that sort of nick in a grand slam final yet. :P

Federer tends to be able to raise his level in the four majors, Murray hasn't managed to work out how to peak for the second week of a grand slam consistently yet. I don't recall Federer losing in a grand slam playing terrible the past six years, although he didn't play great at the French Open or Wimbledon in losing to Soderling and Berdych. Both opponents played exceptionally well though. Most of the other losses are to Nadal playing well.

Also, Federer could've easily won that match against del Potro, failing to serve out for a two set lead is what cost him. He was missing all over the place in the final set, but for the previous four sets was very good. The previous two sets that del Potro won both went to tie breaks, which del Potro played very well.

No doubt that it has something do to with the ATP making f**k loads of money. Am I right on saying that the Paris Masters used to take place around this team of year? IMO, they should re-introduce the Hamburg Masters, and play it now, instead of playing masters events in Asia.

The Paris Masters 1000 event starts on November 7th. It used to be that Madrid was played on a fast indoor hard court at this time of year. You cannot play an outdoor clay court event in Hamburg at this time of year, that would be madness for a whole host of reasons. The Hamburg event, the International German Open, is still on the calendar, but is now played in July as a 500 event.

They probably decided to play the Masters events in the Far East as the Masters Cup, which is now called the ATP World Tour Finals, moved from Shanghai to London in 2009.

I wonder why he hasn't thought of that already. :unsure: Have you ever watched tennis before?

Murray wasn't overly aggressive on Sunday morning. He just carried on giving the Federer the ball and he would make an unforced error. Murray has played better against Federer and lost. However he has now beaten Federer in the last two finals and if that doesn't give him belief he can do it in a Slam nothing ever will.

Murray has held a winning record against Federer ever since he broke into the top 10. Yet in two grand slam finals against him, he hasn't won a set. Murray has proved he can win Masters 1000 events, he has won six now. He has also only lost one Masters 1000 Final, which is an excellent record.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Andy and Jamie won the Valencia doubles title. I see they won the final set 10-7 according to the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9164970.stm

How is a tennis set won 10-7?

It's not a set, it's a special kind of tie break. They've been using it to reduce the length of doubles matches in Masters series events for a while. Basically if it gets to one set all they play a first to 10 tiebreak instead of another set (still have to be two points clear to win same as a normal tie break, it's just it goes to 10, not 7).

It's not a set, it's a special kind of tie break. They've been using it to reduce the length of doubles matches in Masters series events for a while. Basically if it gets to one set all they play a first to 10 tiebreak instead of another set (still have to be two points clear to win same as a normal tie break, it's just it goes to 10, not 7).

Cheers.

Murray got absolutely beasted by Nalbandian in the first set there. Did extremely well to come through that much. Certainly a dangerous opponent for the Second Round. A switch to serve and volley worked very well, as Nalbandian was controlling the game from the base line.

Murray got absolutely beasted by Nalbandian in the first set there. Did extremely well to come through that much. Certainly a dangerous opponent for the Second Round. A switch to serve and volley worked very well, as Nalbandian was controlling the game from the base line.

it did. still coachless? perhaps best to continue that way.

Into the Paris quarter to play Monfils after he beat Marin Clilic (who I believe is better than Monfils) 7-6 3-6 6-3. Andy's form has been patchy since he won in Shanghai but I reckon he'll have too much for the Frenchman.

Down to 5th in the World now. Although a good Tour Finals would see him up to 3rd. He has a lot of points to defend in Australia then not a lot to Wimbledon. he could be up and down like a yo yo over the next three months.