Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Maybe not the right thread for this but we lost 4-1 to Ukraine with Eaton getting a consolation fifth rubber 7-5 in the 3rd.

Highly debatable that Murray would have made much difference? He would almost certainly have gotten two singles but would he have played doubles? And would he have won even if he had played? I suspect had Murray been available it would have been Eaton who didn't play so we'd most likely still only have gotten two singles and it would only have been relevant if Murray had played and won doubles and I don't think it was Lloyd's intention that he do so was it?

Not debatable whatsoever.

Looks as if we have another Bogdanovich in the form of Mr Joshua Godawful. This prat was our number one and he couldn't take a single set off of players ranked about 200 and 400 respecitvely. Fair play to Eaton he at least showed some testes in taking a set off Steve Steakhouse and beating the bloke who panned Godawful.

I suggest Scotland should enter a separate team coached by Mrs Murray and the team would be her two boys, Colin Fleming and that 11 year old kid from Stirling. Couldn't do any worse than the perma losers currently getting a game for GB.

Murray made a successful return to action in the doubles at Indian Wells today.

In other news, I see Federer is going to be a dad for the first time, 'sometime in the summer'. If it's early summer, could it be he pumped his g/f straight after thrashing Murray in the US Open final last year? :P

another win for murray today. 3 and 2 against Mathieu in the 3rd round. not sure who he's got next though. hopefully he's over the worst of his virus now.

Indeed. I am sure he was on Death's door during Davis Cup weekend.

It is a miracle he is walking never mind playing at Indian Wells.

Perhaps he visited Lourdes, instead of competing for his country.

Or maybe he was just ill enough to prevent him playing a few hours of top class sport?

Davis Cup is utterly shit. I'd be constantly "ill" as well.

A bit off topic, or maybe not, but I think Verdasco is looking pretty good at the moment, I watched his match with Gasquet and he blew him away, looking very competent I must say.

Or maybe he was just ill enough to prevent him playing a few hours of top class sport?

Aye, and it prevented him attending too eh? Must have been all those antibiotics he was taking for that virus!

Just like all those Old Firm players who are just too unfit on Wednesday nights, but their injuries have eased off by the Saturday when club time comes around...

Of course Murray hasn't got any previous for inventing injuries to prevent himself from playing in the Davis Cup. Except for last year when he pulled exactly the same stunt to avoid going to Argentina, only to be outed as a liar by his own brother.

If Indian Wells had been starting on Davis Cup Friday, I bet you he'd have been there.

Aye, and it prevented him attending too eh? Must have been all those antibiotics he was taking for that virus!

Just like all those Old Firm players who are just too unfit on Wednesday nights, but their injuries have eased off by the Saturday when club time comes around...

Of course Murray hasn't got any previous for inventing injuries to prevent himself from playing in the Davis Cup. Except for last year when he pulled exactly the same stunt to avoid going to Argentina, only to be outed as a liar by his own brother.

If Indian Wells had been starting on Davis Cup Friday, I bet you he'd have been there.

If he had an illness, it wouldn't have needed to be terribly bad to put him out of action. If he didn't, why did he withdraw from the previous tournament? Yeah, he probably would have made more of an effort had it been a masters or slam tournament. But I wouldn't blame him for treating them as a higher priority than competing with the UK to avoid relegation from the 2nd tier of the Davis Cup.

Why does it bother you so much ? Does he owe you money ? Even with Murray we'd struggle to beat San Marino in the Dave Cup. As far as I am concerned Murray shouldn't even bother with this crap until we have a another player who is even remotely capable of winning a meaningful second singles.

Edited by RedWeb

Why does it bother you so much ?

Because British tennis invested a lot of money in Andy Murray from a very young age. The least he can do is bother his arse to play a Davis cup weekend two weekends a year.

And a lot of people paid money to go and watch him in the Davis cup the other weekend, and felt cheated that he bloused out.

The LTA have even tried to provide him with the location he wants, and the court surface he wants, even if neither suits the majority of the tennis watching public, or the rest of the team.

Even with Murray we'd struggle to beat San Marino in the Dave Cup.

Utter pish. We'd have had a very good chance of beating Ukraine had he played. That isn't the point though.

As far as I am concerned Murray shouldn't even bother with this crap until we have a another player who is even remotely capable of winning a meaningful second singles.

Yeah, terrific. That's the answer.

So Alan Hutton and Scott Brown shouldn't bother their arse playing for the national football side until we have a striker who can score goals?

Total nonsense.

But I wouldn't blame him for treating them as a higher priority than competing with the UK to avoid relegation from the 2nd tier of the Davis Cup.

So by the same token you have no issues with players withdrawing from the national side at football on a Wednesday and turning out for their clubs at the weekend?

That's fine if you don't. I just hope you are consistent.

What absolute guff. Unless you're a doctor with inside information on the health of Andrew Murray you're simply speculating.

Likewise, regarding those players who aren't fit on a Wednesday but miraculously are on a Saturday.

Murray's lies were exposed last year, by his brother. He was subsequently forced to admit he was fit to play Argentina, but didn't fancy making the trip after lying to the media and John Lloyd about being injured. Therefore his latest virus, which has luckily cleared up before Indian Wells, is perfectly reasonable to question.

You haven't yet given your view on players who withdraw from football national squads midweek, yet play for their club sides at the weekend. Is that fair enough?

Edited by H_B