Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

That second set tie break was phenomenal, Murray is an unbelievable learner and the way he adapted during the game was very impressive indeed, reckon he'll be the man Nadal fears most on clay after that, although Nadal is still so far ahead of him it's scary.

i wouldnt just say on clay. yes he has pretty much mastered the hard-court surface, i think that murray has still has alot to learn on grass and should he improve as much as he has on clay, i think he be at least in the wimbledon semi-finals with ease this year.

He was already Nadal's biggest worry on hard courts before today ;) only grass left now. He will finish this year as world number 2.

He may well do actually, the way Federer is collapsing. In fact both Djokovic and Murray may pass Federer before long. However, so much depends on the majors and I still think Federer will peak in the majors the same way he did in the last US Open.

We shall see....................

At almost any other time in the last 30 years or so, his current ranking tally of 8840pts (4420 in old money) would have seen him at No.1 or 2 in the world rankings. The fact he's still only No.4 is incredible.

Looking back, the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, who was number 1 for over a year, rarely had higher than 4500 points. Murray's been dreadfully unlucky to have players of the calibre of the top 3 playing at the same time as him.

Jeez, I can remember Thomas Muster being World Number 1 for a while, a man who couldn't really play on any other surface than clay.

If my maths is right it looks as if Nole needs to retain his Rome Masters or Murray will be No 3 by simply turning up in Rome. Even then if Murray get's to the Semi's it doesn't matter what Nole does. However, as others have said I reckon Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will be the top three for several years as FedERROR is on the slide and the likes of Del Potty and Verdasco aren't in the same class.

If my maths is right it looks as if Nole needs to retain his Rome Masters or Murray will be No 3 by simply turning up in Rome. Even then if Murray get's to the Semi's it doesn't matter what Nole does. However, as others have said I reckon Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will be the top three for several years as FedERROR is on the slide and the likes of Del Potty and Verdasco aren't in the same class.

Just looking on the ATP site. I reckon Djokovic (9,520) will drop 1,450 points for Monte Carlo 08 and Rome 08 by 11th May but gain the points he won in Marseille in 09 into his 19 countable tourneys so that's just 90 points. Which puts him on 8,160 plus whatever he gets in this year's Rome Masters

Murray (8,950) drops just 220 points for Monte Carlo 08 and Rome 08 and gains the 250 he won at Doha 09 back into his 19 tourneys which puts him on 8,980 before Rome.

So Murray would have a 790 point lead before the pair of them count their results for Rome. The most Djokovic can get from the tourney is 1,000 points if he retains it so even if he does Murray would only need 220 points to surpass Djokovic. He'd need to make the semi final (360 points) to get that as the 180 for the quarters wouldn't do.

If Djokovic loses the final then he's get 600 pts which simply isn't enough regardless of what Murray does so yes, I agree with you.

If Djokovic doesn't WIN the Rome Masters Murray will take over as World No 3 on May 11th. If Djokovic DOES win it then Murray would still take over on that date if he reaches the semi final in Rome.

Just looking on the ATP site. I reckon Djokovic (9,520) will drop 1,450 points for Monte Carlo 08 and Rome 08 by 11th May but gain the points he won in Marseille in 09 into his 19 countable tourneys so that's just 90 points. Which puts him on 8,160 plus whatever he gets in this year's Rome Masters

Murray (8,950) drops just 220 points for Monte Carlo 08 and Rome 08 and gains the 250 he won at Doha 09 back into his 19 tourneys which puts him on 8,980 before Rome.

So Murray would have a 790 point lead before the pair of them count their results for Rome. The most Djokovic can get from the tourney is 1,000 points if he retains it so even if he does Murray would only need 220 points to surpass Djokovic. He'd need to make the semi final (360 points) to get that as the 180 for the quarters wouldn't do.

If Djokovic loses the final then he's get 600 pts which simply isn't enough regardless of what Murray does so yes, I agree with you.

If Djokovic doesn't WIN the Rome Masters Murray will take over as World No 3 on May 11th. If Djokovic DOES win it then Murray would still take over on that date if he reaches the semi final in Rome.

I don't really understand how the points system works but from what ive picked up from you trying to explain them in the past does this mean that Murray is going to have to do absolutely exceptionally next year to not lose points when you consider his excellent run at the start of this year?

I don't really understand how the points system works but from what ive picked up from you trying to explain them in the past does this mean that Murray is going to have to do absolutely exceptionally next year to not lose points when you consider his excellent run at the start of this year?

He's going to have to do exceptionally well from around August onwards, as it was then his excellent form started.

He's not got a lot to defend between now and then, save his QF run at Wimbledon.

He's going to have to do exceptionally well from around August onwards, as it was then his excellent form started.

He's not got a lot to defend between now and then, save his QF run at Wimbledon.

So really doing amazingly is actually a curse aswell as a gift? would it not be better for a player to not try and do so well then with the way it works out? :huh: im confused as to how this system works and rewards hard work and excellence.

So really doing amazingly is actually a curse aswell as a gift? would it not be better for a player to not try and do so well then with the way it works out? :huh: im confused as to how this system works and rewards hard work and excellence.

It's basically a rolling 12 month system. The points you gain for an event stay on your ranking for one calendar year, then they drop off. To maintain a high ranking, you need to keep doing well at these events.

Each players ranking is based on how they've done in the last 12 months at any given point of the year (apart from 1 week, but we'll not go into that), so it's neither a curse nor a gift. If you do well in events, you'll have a high ranking, if you don't, you won't. At it's base level, it's that simple.

Is it particularly relevant for Murray to be No.3 in the world by the time the French Open and Wimbledon roll round? The reason I ask is if he was seeded 4th does that always mean he will be due to play Nadal in the semi finals if Nadal remained No.1? Or is it a free draw where 3rd or 4th could meet 1rst or 2nd?

Is it particularly relevant for Murray to be No.3 in the world by the time the French Open and Wimbledon roll round? The reason I ask is if he was seeded 4th does that always mean he will be due to play Nadal in the semi finals if Nadal remained No.1? Or is it a free draw where 3rd or 4th could meet 1rst or 2nd?

It's a free draw. He could be in either half regardless of his ranking. You obviously want to be in Federer's half at the moment though on grass I suspect he'd be too good for anyone other than Nadal anyway.

It's relevant only as a measure as his progress and I think it would make him the highest ranked British male in the Open era. Henman and Rusedski both also made No 4 at points in their career but never higher. Although, as Stewarty has pointed out in the past, the points Murray has at the moment would have made him at least World No 2 a few years ago and World No 1 at the time Leyton Hewitt was there. He's a wee bit unlucky to be around at the same time as three such excellent opponents.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

It's a free draw. He could be in either half regardless of his ranking. You obviously want to be in Federer's half at the moment though on grass I suspect he'd be too good for anyone other than Nadal anyway.

It's relevant only as a measure as his progress and I think it would make him the highest ranked British male in the Open era. Henman and Rusedski both also made No 4 at points in their career but never higher. Although, as Stewarty has pointed out in the past, the points Murray has at the moment would have made him at least World No 2 a few years ago and World No 1 at the time Leyton Hewitt was there. He's a wee bit unlucky to be around at the same time as three such excellent opponents.

He may be unlucky that he's around the same time as excellent opponents, but im sure the fact that he is has made him a much better player.

Looking at the rankings today, Murray picked up 100 points without even playing due to his Monte Carlo points dropping off and his next best tournament (Doha?) being added back on.

Djokovic has had a net loss of 360 today, so there's now just 110 points in it right now, with Djokovic leading by 9160-9050

Cheers thescarf. I don't know why the BBC don't include the points totals as well. With Murray having a poor French Open last year and Federer making the final, it could be entirley possible for Murray to close the gap on Federer as well as taking over Djokovic.

The next three months will be very interesting for Murray.

Cheers thescarf. I don't know why the BBC don't include the points totals as well. With Murray having a poor French Open last year and Federer making the final, it could be entirley possible for Murray to close the gap on Federer as well as taking over Djokovic.

The next three months will be very interesting for Murray.

Aye. The last three months he's gained 2.5k on Federer and 3.5k on Djokovic.

Federer also drops 2800 in the next few weeks (seven or thereabouts). Djokovic drops 2660. Murray drops 370 during that period. With 'only' 1010 points in it, Federer may need to win at Roland Garros and Djokovic in Rome again to stave off Murray's challenge for 2nd place.

Monte Carlo notwithstanding, Murray is shit on clay though and, god forbid, could easily bow out tomorrow.