Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

agreed but even by those low standards he was gash today. utter tripe. he's a hibs fan + his season has followed a similiar trajectory to theirs. wonder if it's an easter road hex?

edit: grammatical error removal...

Edited by wejimwuzagod

never been great on clay.

6-2 6-1 against a player ranked 30 places below.

In the first round.

3 consecutive masters events where he has been knocked out in the first round to mediocre opponents.

Got to the semi-final of this event last year.

Your proposed argument is piss-poor, Perthshirebell. Just like And Murray.

This is his biggest dip in form since he became a top 10 player. Needs to get his arse in gear, or this season will quickly become a write-off.

Not sure what's wrong with him right now. I wonder if it's a training issue, and he needs to refresh his coaching team perhaps.

apparently, he's gettin back together with his ex. they've been seen out canoodling etc. dunno if this is part of the problem or a means to fixing whatever is up with him but his head's clearly not working properly just now. and it can't all be down to losing in australia. either he's been out on the lash and not working hard enough (unlikely given how dedicated he is to winning a grand slam) or somethings amiss behind the scenes.

whatever it is, hopefully it's sorted soon enough.

He seems to have changed his forehand style. It appears to loop up and he jumps slightly as he hits it. Meaning it always lads short, thus making it easier for his opponent to hit a winner.

I didn't see the match yesterday but one of my mates described his forehand as 'disgusting'.

• 5 weeks later...

Question for tennis folk. Im due to win a sizable sum of money 850 ish if murray beats ferrer. Is it worth covering ferrer to beat murray? Ferrer is clear favourite. I might back ferrer and take a 350 quid profit. Let me know in teh next 30 mins please.biggrin.gif

Ferrer isn't that clear a favourite, the odds suggest 60/40 in Ferrer's favour. I reckon Murray has a bit more chance than that, but I'm probably in the minority.

I tthis pre-game. Now im not so sure. I chickened out and took ferrer at 4/7

Murray is getting absolutely murdered, probably shows why I was in the minority. I used to be a serious tennis gambler, all I can say tonight is that I'm glad I didn't bother betting on this match as I'd be in a very deep hole right now. 8)

Question for tennis folk. Im due to win a sizable sum of money 850 ish if murray beats ferrer.

I'm confused by this.

How exactly did you stand to win a sizeable sum of money if Murray beat Ferrer (unless of course you backed him to do so?)

Was it in some sort of "To Win His Quarter" type market?

Any views on Muzza's chances today? Very difficult first round draw against Richard Gasquet who's won his last ten matches on clay. I've backed the Frenchman as I think Murray will really struggle against him.

Gasquet is coming off the back of a relatively gruelling 3 set final against Verdasco on Saturday, where he seemed to injure himself but the adrenalin carried him through. If he's not fully recovered I think he'll struggle in a 5 set match, and I think that's reflected in his odds.

Think Murray will win fairly comfortably today. It's not true that he's poor on clay - QF last year - he just can't match up to relentless hitters on the surface. Gasquet isn't one of those players, he's more like Murray in how he plays and AM usually beats those types.

I'd back Murray against French/Argies all day long, it's the Spanish he's got to watch out for.

*So, put your money on Gasquet in 4 :wacko:

*my proviso

It's not true that he's poor on clay -

Yes it is. Certainly compared to the other surfaces.

If every tournament of the year was played on clay, he wouldn't be in the top 10 in the world.