Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Caught the final set, Tipsarevic was making some ridiculous shot and angles. It was one of those sets where you just knew everything Murray threw at him, Tipsarevic was going to deal with.

Murray's treated this tournament as a training session, which is a bit silly really, as he could've easily moved back up to No.2 in the rankings had he won it. Djokovic is the defending champion, Murray pulled out injured before the QF last year, and neither Nadal nor Federer are playing.

Stupid boy, sometimes I think he needs a mental coach as much as the physical ones.

:lol: get it up ye Murray!! His failure at the Australian went to his head and now weetabix heid has failed again.

Hurry up and win something Andy. I know you'll never ever pay us taxpayers back for yer tennis lessons you spawned off us for 15 years plus in all those nice countries, but at least pay back yer poor mother. She suffers that shit repeatidly.

Murray's treated this tournament as a training session, which is a bit silly really, as he could've easily moved back up to No.2 in the rankings had he won it. Djokovic is the defending champion, Murray pulled out injured before the QF last year, and neither Nadal nor Federer are playing.

Stupid boy, sometimes I think he needs a mental coach as much as the physical ones.

Fair point about the ranking, but that apart it is a training session. Long term these tournaments mean very little to the top players, it's all about Masters and Slams.

Fair point about the ranking, but that apart it is a training session. Long term these tournaments mean very little to the top players, it's all about Masters and Slams.

Aye, but he's paid a fair chunk of appearance money to play in these events. Given that the top 2 are missing, you'd think he'd make more of an effort for the sponsors, etc. After all, I'm sure he won't hand any of his money back.

Poor show all round.

Did anyone see Marcus Buckland's potential schedule for the season? He wanted the Aussie Open to be held in March with a 'Sydney 1000' just before it. He also had Queens down as 'Queens 1000' stating 'tennis needs a grass court Master 1000'. Basically he wants a Masters 1000 right before a Slam.

I'd like to see a longer break for the players in the winter months, as they're hardly finished one season before they are on to the next. The idea of Queens becoming a Masters Series event is a good one too. After all, there's a couple of Masters events in the build up to the US Open, so why not? It's not as if it's the week before Wimbledon anyway, there's usually a week in between.

• 2 weeks later...

OK not directly related to Andy but I see Team GB have just been defeated by those tennis greats Lithuania in the Davis Cup. The score was 3-2 and had Muzzah played we would have won the tie but was he right to shun DC? What makes me laugh is the winners of today's tie plays IRELAND! We play Turkey.

FWIW I think Andy was correct to opt out - to try and force LTA's under-achievers to grow a pair and do their bit.

Still, it's hilarious to see Team GB descend like Gretna into oblivion laugh.gif

Link here

Guest The Phoenix

OK not directly related to Andy but I see Team GB have just been defeated by those tennis greats Lithuania in the Davis Cup. The score was 3-2 and had Muzzah played we would have won the tie but was he right to shun DC? What makes me laugh is the winners of today's tie plays IRELAND! We play Turkey.

FWIW I think Andy was correct to opt out - to try and force LTA's under-achievers to grow a pair and do their bit.

Still, it's hilarious to see Team GB descend like Gretna into oblivion laugh.gif

Link here

I trust Mr John "Right Up His Own Arse" Lloyd has resigned? :unsure:

I trust Mr John "Right Up His Own Arse" Lloyd has resigned? :unsure:

I'm not sure particularly why he should or who is going to do anything better?

It's a fact that outside of Murray we're honking at tennis (at least at singles tennis - Fleming and Skupski are a half decent doubles pair). There's no real excuse for losing to Lithuania right enough but it's not Lloyd's fault especially if Murray chooses not to play (and I can see the point, at this level what is the point in having Murray destroy some semi-amateur, we're not playing for honour here, we may as well give game time to the other players).

You can change the coach if you like but he won't magically have any better players to pick from.

I'm not sure particularly why he should or who is going to do anything better?

It's a fact that outside of Murray we're honking at tennis (at least at singles tennis - Fleming and Skupski are a half decent doubles pair). There's no real excuse for losing to Lithuania right enough but it's not Lloyd's fault especially if Murray chooses not to play (and I can see the point, at this level what is the point in having Murray destroy some semi-amateur, we're not playing for honour here, we may as well give game time to the other players).

You can change the coach if you like but he won't magically have any better players to pick from.

True to an extent. The LTA organisation had a budget of nearly £60m in 2009, Lithuania had £90,000 so it's clear we have deeper problems than just the coach. However, John Lloyd hardly cuts an inspirational figure on the bench and he clearly should have got us through a tie against a nation with only 3 world ranked players. He also picks Dan Evans who's only development is into the next Alex Bogdanovich!! A better call might have been Jamie Baker who at least has come through adversity and appreciates the funding and position he's gained.

Still, the LTA fatcats can spend some more of their cash on an in-depth review process whilst completely bypassing their own accountability.

Heads will roll but unfortunately not in the right area.

Why is it at all hilarious that our national tennis team are miles away from the business end of the Davis Cup?

Look at the atmosphere of the France v Germany game - it was terrific. I'd love GB to be involved in that as we were in the days of Henman and Rusedski.

Why is it at all hilarious that our national tennis team are miles away from the business end of the Davis Cup?

Look at the atmosphere of the France v Germany game - it was terrific. I'd love GB to be involved in that as we were in the days of Henman and Rusedski.

The farther we descend, the more the LTA will have to face up to their own ineptitude. I have no time for them hence the :lol:

They reap what they sow don't you think?

They reap what they sow don't you think?

Not really to be honest. I see a lot of what they are trying to do for grassroots tennis in the UK as being very positive - the coaching regimes for kids at various age groups is well intentioned.

I don't blame the LTA for the failure of British tennis. It's just a minority sport.

I find results like this weekend's sad to see. We will have to see what the next generation brings, as the likes of Evans and co are never going to amount to anything.

Not really to be honest. I see a lot of what they are trying to do for grassroots tennis in the UK as being very positive - the coaching regimes for kids at various age groups is well intentioned.

I don't blame the LTA for the failure of British tennis. It's just a minority sport.

I find results like this weekend's sad to see. We will have to see what the next generation brings, as the likes of Evans and co are never going to amount to anything.

I certainly do. Name the last relatively successful player that came through their system? Surely there should have been 1 decent player over the last generation. All the reports today from the numerous fatcats are that an "urgent review" has been ordered. Pardon? Has it only just now dawned on them that the player dearth is "urgent"?

Contrast their approach with British Cycling's (another minority sport) and you'll begin to notice what determination & focus can achieve.

If these coaching schemes you speak of involve finding kids with backbone & talent rather than rich parents then about time. But where are the indoor courts in less well-off areas? They earn enough off the back of Wimbers to do something big.

Maybe the thought of being beaten by the likes of Andorra & Albania will give the LTA more urgency.