Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He would be scheduled to face Djokovic or Federer in the semi final.

Even more interesting will be the seeding for the French Open when it comes. Nadal will drop out of the top four, and depending on how well he recovers he could potentially not even be a top four seed (although I am sure given the circumstances the French Open organisers may let him have a higher seeding). So potentially you could have three of the big four in one half of the draw. A big incentive for Murray to push on and try and be World No.2 by May. The draw could be very kind to one half of the draw.

Although I don't think anyone would complain if the French Open gave Nadal a protected seeding due to injury.

Starting to find this whole honours thing a bit strange.

I really don't see why Bradley wiggins recieves a knighthood but Murray only recieves an OBE. Surely Murrays achievement are on par if not better than wiggins.

Personally think that knighthoods are handed out far to easily these days anyway but find it strange that wiggins gets one.

Also think that footballers get a bad deal out if these types of honours as I would say that based on the criteria they have these days someone like beckham is surely worthy of a knighthood for his services to sport over the last 20 years or so.

In the final after Nishikora retires after a break down in the second set. Should beat Dimitriov in the final, but would have preferred more game time against Nishikora. When is the draw for the Australian Open? Im hoping Andy Murray is in the half that plays the semi final on the Friday. Took that day off work to watch both semi finals, but realised that only one is on that day. D'oh. (That's not to say I think Andy Murray is automatically in the semi finals, I just hope that if he does makes the semis I will be able to watch that one)

I was wondering why Colin Fleming was playing singles matches this week and it's because long time doubles partner Ross Hutchins has been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. Terrible news. Judging by his tweets, he seems very confident he will be back on court soon.

• 1 month later...

1 set all against previously (to me anyway) unheard of Zeballos. Just looks like he's missing the edge he had, but then he has been out for a long time. Final set will be interesting, as will seeing if Rafa can get that edge back over the next few months.

Another final for Rafa tonight in Sao Paulo. This time he's up against David Nalbandian. Haven't seen any of this week's matches, but I really can't see him losing 2 finals in a row although a lot will depend upon his knee.

Anyone know if there is any TV coverage tonight?

Nadal won 6-3 6-2 in a routine win against Nalbandian. Nadal is nowhere near his best, but is steadily getting better. His return of serve since his return has been remarkably poor compared with previous years, and his forearm and back hand don't appear to have the same venom as pre injury.

He has stated that tennis players play too much on hard courts and his doctors have suggested his knee injuries are down to wear and tear on these surfaces. It will be interesting to see how he does at the Indian Wells and Miami Masters events. Changing from clay to hard to clay, probably wouldn't be the wisest move for him to do.

Andy Murray isn't due to return until the first Masters event of the year. Murray didn't do well at all in the two events last year (despite making the final in Miami) two walk over victories and defeats of Tipsarevic and Falla allowed Murray to make the final. Djokovic soundly beat him. A great opportunity to gain more on Federer as he has lost points this week as he has lost Rotterdam's 500, and has to defend both Dubai and Indian Wells (another 1500). Murray should be aimining to be number two by Roland Garros.

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Federer has elected to skip the Miami Masters event. Mainly as he has only 45 points to defend. Roger can now pick and choose what tournaments he wants to enter as he is 31 years old, has played 600 matches and has been a pro for 12 years. The only mandatory events for him are the Grand Slams.

Federer will then rest until the clay court season starts.

Murray isn't in action again until the Indian Wells tournament. If Federer has a poor tournament and Murray does well, he could potentially see a 2,000 points swing in that tournament alone. He has a finals place to defend in Miami though.