Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I would make Murray favourite against Federer, as he didn't like the crowd against him in the Olympic final. It did unnerve him. But I do agree he wouldn't be an overwhelming favourite. I like Wawrinka's attitude to the Davis cup always turns up and plays even when Federer doesn't. I think both are committed this year hence their entering of doubles together to gain match practice. If we were to advance past Italy they would have to play on grass I think.

There is something a bit more special about best of five set matches. The yo-yoing and momentum shifting makes for a much more exciting match. Just a shame that players don't always commit to the Davis cup. It is a great competition.

Tommy Nooka: I take your point, but his hip injury has been around for longer than his back injury. The hip injury pre dates Lendl. I think that is what he was referencing. But again we are just speculating. We will have a better understanding after tonight's match. He has employed a new physio who is an expert on back injuries and recovery, so if the surgery was not a success it will be in his capable hands.

He will slip to 8th in the World. He has just about no points to defend in the clay season but has opted to miss Monte Carlo. A bit of a mistake IMO, but it isn't compulsory anyway.

As for the decision, I still don't know why the point wasn't awarded to Murray. Even Novak said he was over the net. However as bad as it was the next three points were played awfully. And after playing well to get a break up in the second set he had a horrendous game on serve. No pain today though, or at least he wasn't showing it. A bit disappointing but again he isn't far away.

He did play probably the best passing shot of this tennis season so far.

I caught the Nishikori Federer match and Nishikori was excellent. He kept peppering Federer's backhand and once Federer tired he started misfiring and that allowed Nishikori to dictate a lot of the play. The confident swashbuckling Federer of the first set quickly disappeared when he started to make errors.

Nishikori has been excellent this season, and was a tad unlucky to lose to Nadal in straight sets at the Australian Open.

Murray said after the game that he is where he thought he would be in terms of recovery. He has played six tournaments now, and has made one SF, 4 QFs and a last 16. He admitted he is playing like a top ten guy, he just isn't playing like a top four player yet. He competed well with Novak last night at times but his erratic serving gifted Novak a couple of breaks. I think that will be the most disappointing thing. He lost a lot of points with his QF loss (820) but with 190 points to defend in his next three tournaments he should make them back. Getting to the top four by Wimbledon might be tough, but using Wimbledon's grass calculator he will be ranked higher.

Italy v Great Britain starts tomorrow at 10.30am on BBC 2.

Friday

Fognini v Ward

Seppi v Murray

Saturday

Bolelli & Lorenzi v Fleming & Hutchins (possibly Murray)

Sunday

Fognini v Murray

Seppi v Ward

The weather forecast suggests play could be interrupted over the 3 days.

What a crap April fool that was.

Does he have many points to defend on the clay this year?

Even more surprising is that the news agencies covered it despite the fact three years ago he announced on April Fool's day that Ross Hutchins was his new coach.

Murray has a QF and R32 points to defend (190 points) and he didn't play the French Open last season. He has elected to miss Monte Carlo Masters. However the points from last year are in his non countable tournaments anyway.

2-1 Fognini. Ward playing well though. Needs to keep him out on court as long as possible.

Czech's 2-0 up on Japan, Germany 1-0 against France, Swiss/Kazak still playing the first rubber, looks like Stan is mounting a comeback from 2 sets down.

Running away with the fourth, think that's it. Still this will be the rubber were we'd least expect to take something.

Eta- Stan has lost the first rubber in Geneva. :o

Edited by AberdeenBud

Andy leads 6-4 5-5 when play was called off for bad light and this match will resume at 9.30am tomorrow.

The doubles match is due for 1pm so it will be interesting to see if Andy gets picked for it as the weather for that time is for rain showers.

Federer won in straight sets to level the Switzerland v Kazakhstan tie at 1-1.