Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

It is good news. I think Murray will get two points against Fognini and Seppi although Fognini on clay isn't a given, but over five sets Murray would be a heavy favourite. Then it is a case of Evans, Ward or a doubles team nicking a point.

Due to play Switzerland in the Semi Finals (if we both get through).

Looking at the Acapulco QF draw, I'm pretty confident Andy will leave with the title.

Ordinarily I would agree but he is serving very poorly. His second serve particularly is very flat and opponents are hitting winners off it consistently.

Good comeback from a set and 5-3 down. Another slow start though.

Murray was incredibly passive last night and Simon bottled that match. Serving for the match Simon was broken to love with some really basic smashes and volleys hitting the net. Murray only really started playing well when 3-1 down in the tie break and he ran away with the match.

Although there was some good news as Ferrer retired. Meaning he will drop 210 points, and Murray will gain 180 points so a 390 swing on him. Not enough to overtake him, but if he wins he will overtake him. He will overtake Del Potro, and depending on Berdych could overtake him this week too.

That Murray match was the first I got to see this week but I still managed to miss the first set.

I thought Murray was going to lose when he kept going a break down in the 2nd set but Simon blew his change when he served for the match but then Murray went on to win the tie-break and the 3rd set 6-2.

Andy Murray will now play Grigor Dimitrov which is due on not before 10pm Mexico time which is 4am UK time.

In the Dubai championships semi-finals Novak Djokovic plays Roger Federer.

Edit - Berdych beats Kohlschreiber 7-5 7-5 in the first semi-final in Dubai

Edited by booitsme7

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/28/andy-murray-tennis-league-draft

Not sure about this, sounds a bit gimmicky and think Andy might be better served resting at that time of the (off)season.

You only play one set of tennis per match. It won't be as competitive and will be more of an exhibition feel to it.

Only saw the highlights but it looked good match. Murray played honking tie breaks, but battled well through out. He is starting to get up to speed again which is encouraging going into the double header Masters in March. Point of the match:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WH57z3TjBPI

He will have gained 180 points, which will see him overtake Del Potro. If Berdych loses to Federer he will also over take him to reclaim 5th in the world. He would be 185 points behind Ferrer in 4th and under 600 behind Stan.

I am not overly sure he will add 180 points to his total. He has a number of 0s to stay on his card until they have been and past. So I think last weeks points will go to non countable and he will only gain 90 this week. I will need to learn the full rules of the points. If that's true he will move to 6th just five points behind Berdych.

Edited by Loki

Murray moves up to 6th in the world 5 points behind Berdych. The World Rankings include the four Slams, 8 mandatory Masters Events (Monte Carlo is optional) and your six best results from 500, 250, Challenger, Futures and Davis Cup (also includes Monte Carlo). As Andy Murray withdrew from Basel, Tokyo and Washington these 0 points will remain on his record until they drop off. I can understand the Washington one as he was fit and able to play, but the other two were due to an injury lay off and seem a bit harsh. So Murray's six best results at that level are winning Queens, SF at Acapulco and Davis Cup participation.

As a professional player you commit to playing the four slams, eight masters and at least four 500 events.

He plays Djokovic tonight at Madison Square Garden in an exhibition match as part of World Tennis day. It is on Eurosport tonight. I have seen them practise together before and if they don't take it seriously at all, it could be very funny.

He lost 6-3 7-6 last night but it was not competitive in the slightest really. Exhibition shots, picking people out of the crowd to play etc. Was a good fun match. Djokovic picked Bartoli out of the crowd, and Murray picked a wee guy that had previously went to see him train and play in Miami.

The draw for Indian Wells is out. Andy Murray will be due to play (according to seedings) Rosol, Andujar, Raonic, Nadal, Wawrinka, Djokovic. He hasn't faced Nadal under Lendl's stewardship.

Rosol served superbly in the first set and redlined winners constantly. This redlining seized and Murray was able to pick him off quite comfortably. Rosol must absolutely hate tennis balls as he absolutely smashes them each time. As he tired some of his first serves were horrendous, one missed so badly it went out of the doubles court. Rosol really hasn't progressed at all since his win Vs Nadal.

Andujar who gave Murray problems last week has went out and he will face Jiri Vesely who is 20 years old. He hasn't really done much of note in the senior tour although he has won multiple future events and multiple Challenger Tour events. He took Kevin Anderson to five sets in Australia.

Stepanek gave Nadal a fright this morning, Nadal eventually won 7-5 in the third. Although Stepanek should have broken him midway through the set, and sadly saved his worst service game for his last. Nadal will face Dogopolov who is playing superbly since he hired Fabrice Santoro as his coach.