Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Looks like he'll get the 7th seed in the quarter final. A real test. Good luck. When is his next game?

Gonzalez was tenth seed. Murray is still working his way up the rankings. If he's recovered physically from last night's match, there's nothing to stop him winning this one either.

I actually think he's a lot better than even his ranking at number 19 suggests.

I don't think there are nearly as many good players as there was when Henman was top ten in the world. Guys like Blake and Stepanek are pretty ordinary IMHO!

Sensational comeback. At 2sets to 1 down i really didnt expect him to pull it off cause Gonzales was getting everything but Gonzales reaction at the end when smashing his racket shows how well Murray pllpyed to comeback and totally outclass him.

Is this the first time Murray has won a 5 set match? :huh:

What is Gonzalez World Ranking?Is he far above Murray?How many places can we expect Murray to rise during this tournie??

SD im relaying on you here,im sure your the man in know about the rankings! :lol:

Murray reached Round 2 in the US Open last year, so he was defending 35 points.

By reaching the 4th Round, he is now guaranteed to get at least 150 points. Take away the 35 he is defending and if he loses in the next round, he'll get 115 points.

That would put him on 1415 points. Now the player just above him, Juan Carlos Ferrerro started the week with 1330 points. He lost in the 1st round last year, and reached the 2nd round this year, so he picks up 30 points, taking him to 1360, so Murray is guaranteed to go above him.

Realistically, Murray will need to reach the 1/4 finals to climb any higher, unless someone is due a massive drop in points, which I don't see on first glance.

Murray is i think better than Henman ever was and is currently in 17th in the world.

Too early to say, Henman had a terrific career. I reckon Murray will surpass it, but anything can happen.

And he's 19th in the world just now, he's 17th seed at the US Open.

Edited by StewartyMac

Guest thefamousphilosifer

Gonzalez was tenth seed. Murray is still working his way up the rankings. If he's recovered physically from last night's match, there's nothing to stop him winning this one either.

I actually think he's a lot better than even his ranking at number 19 suggests.

I don't think there are nearly as many good players as there was when Henman was top ten in the world. Guys like Blake and Stepanek are pretty ordinary IMHO!

You have to remember that although there is weaker players such as Blake, Stepanek etc in the top 10, there are some very handy players lurking just ourside it. Roddick, Hewitt for example. Players like Stepanek and Blake will have inflated positions as they regularly play tournaments none of the other top 20 players play in.

Davydenko( who Murray plays next, who is ranked World number 5 I think) has won 3 tournaments this year, but his opponent in each of those finals was ranked outside the World top 30. He also hasn't beat a player in the World top 10 this year, which for a world number 5 is shocking.

Is this the first time Murray has won a 5 set match? :huh:

No, he won his opening match at last years US Open in 5 sets, and won a Davis Cup match in 5 as well. Thats about it however :unsure:

Tennis players from The UK are British as the former world number 4 Tim Henman was.

Murray is i think better than Henman ever was and is currently in 17th in the world.

Henman did have a good career, but i think Murray will top it. His temperament looks miles better already with Brad Gilbert.

Henman reached number 4 for a while but where was he ranked at age 19? I'm sure it must be a lot lower than Murray's 19th.

When is the 4th Round against Davydenko played?

Thats a good call.

The overall standard is much lower now than it was then, though to balance that Federer is much better than anything we have seen before.

Murray reached Round 2 in the US Open last year, so he was defending 35 points.

By reaching the 4th Round, he is now guaranteed to get at least 150 points. Take away the 35 he is defending and if he loses in the next round, he'll get 115 points.

That would put him on 1415 points. Now the player just above him, Juan Carlos Ferrerro started the week with 1330 points. He lost in the 1st round last year, and reached the 2nd round this year, so he picks up 30 points, taking him to 1360, so Murray is guaranteed to go above him.

Realistically, Murray will need to reach the 1/4 finals to climb any higher, unless someone is due a massive drop in points, which I don't see on first glance.

Jarkko Nieminen ;)

Jarkko Nieminen ;)

Lleyton Hewitt is currently 215 points ahead of Murray( before the US Open) in 17th place. He was runner up last year if I'm not mistaken, so he's defending 700 points. Murray is currently 115 points up, Hewitt 550 down, I think Hewitt needs to make the final again to stay above Murray*

All that is bullcrap if Hewitt wasn't runner up last year... ;)

Yip, its crap, Hewitt was runner up in 2004, Agassi was RU last year.

Edited by thefamousphilosifer

Lleyton Hewitt is currently 215 points ahead of Murray( before the US Open) in 17th place. He was runner up last year if I'm not mistaken, so he's defending 700 points. Murray is currently 115 points up, Hewitt 550 down, I think Hewitt needs to make the final again to stay above Murray*

All that is bullcrap if Hewitt wasn't runner up last year... ;)

Yip, its crap, Hewitt was runner up in 2004, Agassi was RU last year.

Hewitt's defending 450 points

Hewitt's defending 450 points

At the moment, then he'll have 1215pts( minus 450pts plus 150pts), Murray has 1415(minus 35pts plus 150), if Hewitt beats Gasquet( which is a tricky match) tonight he'll have 1315. Hewitt needs to therefore make the semi's(that would give him 1515) at least to stay above Murray. If Murray beats Davydenko,he'll move to 1515pts as well.

I think that's correct :unsure:

Edited by thefamousphilosifer

I agree. When Sampras was number one the depth was better I think. Henman's efforts in making it to number 4 were excellent but his problem was that his best surface (grass) was one rarely used competitively away from Wimbledon. Murray's advantage is his best surface is hard courts as used in this period of the year.

I don't think Murray is anywhere near Henman at his peak. And I'm not sure he's any better than Rusedski at his peak either.

You have to remember that although there is weaker players such as Blake, Stepanek etc in the top 10, there are some very handy players lurking just ourside it. Roddick, Hewitt for example. Players like Stepanek and Blake will have inflated positions as they regularly play tournaments none of the other top 20 players play in.

Also fair points. I'm no tennis expert but I think from what I saw the depth was a little better 6 or 7 years ago than it is now.

Thats a good call.

The overall standard is much lower now than it was then, though to balance that Federer is much better than anything we have seen before.

Agreed.

SD im relaying on you here,im sure your the man in know about the rankings! :lol:

You mean I can read the ATP Tour website the same as everyone else but I have got the patience to work it out? :lol:

Others have dealt with it for you anyway.

Basically, Murray is currently 19th with 1300 points coming into the tournament. He's defending 50 points for last 64 last season and already guaranteed 150 points for this one.

Points for the US Open are as follows:-

Last 128 5 points

Last 64 50 points

Last 32 75 points

Last 16 150 points

Q-F 250 points

S-F 450 points

Final 700 points

Winner 1000 points

Murray will therefore move to 1400 points if he goes out in the next round to Davydenko.

No 18 is Ferrero. Murray is already guaranteed to move ahead of him, albeit only just.

No 17 is Hewitt, currently on 1515 points but defending 450 points as a semi finalist last year. If he goes out in the last 32 (plays today) or indeed in any round before the semi finals then he'll drop below Murray.

No 16 is Tommy Haas on 1525 points. Haas got only 75 points in the US Open last year and is also playing last 32 today so won't rop anything. If he wins he'll move to 1600 points at least so Murray is unlikely to catch him this week and would need to be at least a semi finalist to do so.

No 15 is Niemenen on 1610, defending 250 points. He's dropped 200 of those so Murray will go ahead of him if he wins his next game but not otherwise.

Haven't got time to look in any depth any higher up but that's probably about it.

Unless someone from behind shoots past him he'll be either 18 or 17 even if he loses (depending on Hewitt) and 16 or 17 if he beats Davydenko.

I don't think Murray is anywhere near Henman at his peak. And I'm not sure he's any better than Rusedski at his peak either.

I dont know.

I thought that up until the hard court season and Gilbert took over, but now I'm not so sure. He is a better player than Henman was at 19 obviously and his rate of progress has been incredible.

I think in 1 or 2 years he will be at a better level than Tim was at his peak. I think only Federer and Nadal are comfortably better at this point in time.

The Davydenkos and Roddicks are 50/50 matches. He'll win some and lose some, until next year when he will start winning far more than he loses. Top 4 in the world by US Open next time round for me.

I dont know.

I thought that up until the hard court season and Gilbert took over, but now I'm not so sure. He is a better player than Henman was at 19 obviously and his rate of progress has been incredible.

I think in 1 or 2 years he will be at a better level than Tim was at his peak. I think only Federer and Nadal are comfortably better at this point in time.

The Davydenkos and Roddicks are 50/50 matches. He'll win some and lose some, until next year when he will start winning far more than he loses. Top 4 in the world by US Open next time round for me.

I'd disagree. He's nowhere near being physically good enough for that. That'll take at least another 18 months IMO, I expect him to be top 12 or so as theres players below him that may jump back above him( Gasquet, Hewitt, Safin if he gets his act together). He may be top 5 before the US Open in 2008.

I'd also disagree with your statement about Federer and Nadal being comfortably ahead. Federer is, I'm no sure about Nadal though( expect on clay obviously), Nadal is definetely beatable.